What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Radioman970 said:
I have about 40 gigs of MAME on a hard drive somewhere. :P I need to get that installed again. LOVE those old games.
The second OUYA gets a MAME emulator, I'm buying one. I'm tempted to get it for the NES/SNES roms as is.
I don't care about any of the actual games, I want a ROM emulator I can play on my TV!

Have any of you OUYA owners explored this ROM stuff yet?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
What are you guys using for controllers for these classic games? What basically got me out of those type of games was the switch way back when to those stupid thumbpad controllers instead of real joysticks. I know I can get a real joystick system for the PC/console but they aren't cheap. I can't imagine anyone every winning a Street Fighter tournament with a thumbpad versus a joystick.
I'm using the standard 360 analog controller. It works fine for classic arcade games, but I absolutely agree with you about classic fighting games. My friend and I both got this a couple years ago when the new Mortal Komabt launched:
Mortal-Kombat-Fight-Stick-02.jpg

It works great for all fighting games, and is a really well made arcade stick.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Been playing a bit of the Capcom Arcade Cabinet thing. Man, kids these days don't know how hard a game can be!
I don't know about that. Ever hear of Touhou Project? I've been reading about it. Apparently, quite a few kids play it. One of the games is so hard that it took seven years before one guy in Japan finally cleared it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyone else playing Metro:Last Light? It's a pretty decent first person shooter. Appropriately creepy, post-apocalyptic game.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just started playing Bioshock 2; considering how I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, I thought I'd give it a try. Interesting so far..

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
Just started playing Bioshock 2; considering how I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, I thought I'd give it a try. Interesting so far..
You've played the original? You want to play the original before #2 :)

Bioshock 1,2 are spiritually the same, but very different. (Infinite streamlined the whole affair, particullarly in searching, weapons management, and UI. Bioshock 2 has tremendoulsy heavy UI chrome, to the point of distraction at times. For a real shock, play Portal afterwards, which is so much lighter feeling.)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Gravity. Paid a 1.25 for this. Great fun! Kind of like Bill's Tomato Game (or Crazy Machines for you youngsters). Works fine with 7/64. Tried to buy a copy for my dad as a gift but I couldn't figure out HOW to buy a copy for dad so no copy for him. :(

Crysis 2. quickly got great.

X-Com EU. Game kept getting stuck. Finally got passed the hanging part. Gave up for now. I plan to restart from the beginning later.

Loaded up Aliens vs Pred the newer one since I abandoned it before. Jerky gameplay. I guess the latest drivers helped matters since it plays great, and could even turn something else all the way up in the Dx11 version. niiiice! Would like to finish this game and get if off the hardrive. Looking forward to playing as the 2 creatures from the title. That was fun in the older titles.

Red October 2 single player. Was playing this and having fun. Took a break for X-com above, suddenly it looked as if they were doing a 7 gig update of RO2. Instead, the update removed my single player (it has to be reinstalled) and added some new content to a completely different MP. I guess they broke it up in two. I was WTF! Actually, I appreciate the new stuff but I'd sure like to have a choice about what gets put on my PC. If I'd installed that from a DVD there's no way they would have pulled that. I guess I was overly angry, but I'm in practice mode on that game.

Of course, a little Minecraft. About to put that one to sleep for a little while. Too much time it's taking. Over 6 days of gameplay! 150 hours? That's insane.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't tried that Minecraft game yet. I'm still trying to figure out all the appeal for it. It looks completely crude graphics-wise: like some 8-bit game on steroids.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Edwin-S said:
I haven't tried that Minecraft game yet. I'm still trying to figure out all the appeal for it. It looks completely crude graphics-wise: like some 8-bit game on steroids.
Oh yeah, it doesn't look real great. But the crude graphics allow for huge areas that can be altered at your whim. you can make countless things out of the elements in the game. built and excavate, make doors windows furniture, ... boats, a castle with a moat of lava, saddle a pig and ride him across the land (lol) ... it's just endless. It helps if you like exploration and discovery games. I put in so many hours because the openness of it is my kind of thing. I do hope there will be a sequel with slightly better visuals and less of a random feel. I've found way too many huge cracks in the land with the same wooden old mine look, too many large sand castles, etc. More variety. Still, the land area I hear is something like 3 or 4 earth's worth so there's hopefully more to see on all that land.

There's a demo you can get to try it out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My son and his friends (elementary age) are obsessed with Minecraft. It's interesting to watch them make stuff (and blow it up). It reminds me of when I was a kid, and we would collect generic Lego sets and build all sorts of things. Nowadays, Lego sets are all themed and are more like model kits minus glue and paint (and the need for steady hands :) ).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
There's a demo you can get to try it out.

Gotta link?

Aaron Silverman said:
My son and his friends (elementary age) are obsessed with Minecraft. It's interesting to watch them make stuff (and blow it up). It reminds me of when I was a kid, and we would collect generic Lego sets and build all sorts of things. Nowadays, Lego sets are all themed and are more like model kits minus glue and paint (and the need for steady hands :) ).
I guess that's the appeal. The ability to imagine, build and alter the game's reality: a virtual reality Lego set.

Edit: Damn. I have a lot of games to check out. Another one, among many, that I want to check out is Touhou Project 13.0. It's one in a series of what is called "bullet hell" games.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aaron Silverman said:
So true and sad. I didn't even get legos. It was the very early 70s and it was a canister of plastic buidling bricks (along with my Lincoln logs! remember them?) and my neighbor would come over and systematically steal mine. I remember his family giving me a pack of cheap diecast metal cars (which I always loved) and he'd end up with those as well. He'd scrap off the paint to make them look different but I know it was him. His collection suddenly getting much bigger.

@ Edwin.

https://minecraft.net/
- for the demo (including an in browser version)

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki
- for all the help you'll ever need

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Dave-

Nope never played Bioshock 1. I played Bioshock Infinite, enjoyed it a fair bit, Bioshock 2 was free for PSN+ Members a few months ago so I grabbed it, and I'm playing through it now.. I'm kind of going in reverse order it seems.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
James, that sucks. I do remember my Lincoln Logs from the early '70s too. :) My dad once gave my son a small set of Roy Toy logs, which briefly intrigued him.

Incidentally, I warned my kid that building an entire town out of TNT would end in tears, and last night -- hoo boy, did it ever! :(

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
TNT town--you have to try everything once. I haven't yet made any explosives. I have a ton of gunpowder, not to mention huge holes everywhere from those green penis things. the front of one of my houses (actually NPC houses but they all died) looks like a warzone.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Went through a bunch of demo games and freebies from the PS+ promotion on the PS3. Nothing too remarkable. Most were the kind of puzzle/platformers that seem better on a cell phone then a PS3.

Ended up deciding to jump back into Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. I played about half of it well over a year and a half ago before getting distracted by other games. It's fun going back. Look forward to finishing this one up and jumping into Uncharted 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks