What's new

What are you driving? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The adjuster called Thursday and said they wished to total the car and made us an offer which was $2000 above blue book.

After owning a Mazda for 10 years, neither of us were interested in another. Even though they get good marks now, we are both reluctant to go with Kia or Hyundai since we have a tendency to keep cars for a long time and put lots of miles on them. None of the big 3 domestics were even considered... There's nothing made by GM, Ford or Dodge which moves the needle with either of us. I like Volkswagen but my wife doesn't care for them. Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche, et al are out of our price range. Nissan also doesn't particularly interest either of us with what they offer at the moment.

This left two choices: Toyota and Honda. My wife has witnessed the longevity of Toyota vehicles with my 2000 Celica which currently has 342,000 miles on it. My parents were so impressed with it that they traded in their 3 year old Nissan Rogue for a Camry and sing its praises every time we get into a car discussion. My wife owned an Accord and a Prelude before we were married and really liked them both. So we went for test drives.

At the Toyota dealership, she test drove a Scion FR-S and a Toyota RAV4. She didn't like the body style of the new Camry and Corolla so no test drive required. She liked the 200 hp rear wheel drive FR-S and thought it was mad fun to drive but decided it was completely impractical for everyday life but the RAV4 with its 176 bhp really made her tail wag. 4-door and roomy, good headroom, plenty of legroom in the back for toting passengers and you don't feel like you're sitting on the blacktop while driving.

We then went to the Honda dealer the next block over and tested a 4 cylinder Accord coupe and a near 300 hp V6 Accord coupe. The 4 cylinder drove well and had lots of creature comforts. The steering was really responsive and the small engine had plenty of pickup and pep for daily driving. The V6 Accord, on the other hand, felt very "floaty" while driving. It reminded me of driving a Mercury Grand Marquis or a Nissan Maxima. There was a lot of body roll and you never really feel like you have full control of the car when you put your foot into the gas, like it's going to lurch right off the road. It's a very disconnected feel.

We went home that night discussing pros and cons of all four vehicles. After sleeping on it, she narrowed it down to either the RAV4 or the 4 cylinder Accord. She couldn't really decide and fretted over it all day Friday and finally asked me which she should get. My reply was simple: Which one did she really get excited about when she test drove them? The answer was the RAV4. So we went after I got off work Friday afternoon and she picked out a 2015 FWD XLE version in Barcelona Red with sunroof and two-tone leather interior. After all was said and done with rebates and such, the total price was about $25k, which was $4,000 under the 4 cylinder Accord. I'll put some pics up soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Clint,

Congrats on your purchase. I just looked at some photos. Very nice looking vehicle.

The sunroof is going to be quite enjoyable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Very nice. The Rav4 is nice car; we test drove one briefly before buying my wife her Corolla. And friends that owned one raved about it (and maybe lament having to replace their beloved new Rav4 with a minivan...) I'm surprised you found the Accord V6 floaty; that was not my perception. And while it's not the most road-feel of cars with its current steering, I've not really seen it described as you did. But to each their own. (But now I wish you'd driven a Camry for comparison sake.) :)

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was all for a Camry but the wifey nixed that notion really quick. She doesn't like the way the back end looks and that's a complete deal breaker for her. Since this is her car I was ok with the Rav4.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And I'm not saying you missed out. Just that the Camry used to be the "floaty" car, so I would have been curious how it felt to you vs the Accord.

(I was tempted to make a little joke about what turned your wife's eye when you first started dating. But I won't be that juvenile. ;) )

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
2013 Estoril Blue BMW 328xi M-Sport
with Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Tech Package, Paddle Shifters

8709749100_b499b65f98_z.jpg

Bought it new for cash, I too hate debt. Fun car drive it as it should be and still get 28-30 mpg.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the super-bright Barcelona Red my wife got for her Corolla. We were expecting a darker, richer read. We were a bit surprised when we picked it up.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My wife loves the Barcelona Red. It's almost a garnet color and she's been wanting a car that color for years. She's spending the week in Georgia with her mom and sister so I am getting to drive the Rav this week.

So far, I don't have any complaints about the way it drives. It is the front wheel drive version and has a 2.5L 4-cylinder which produces 176bhp at around 6000 rpm. There is an eco mode button which dumbs down the throttle response during acceleration and shifts the transmission earlier and a sport mode button which beefs it up a bit and holds gears longer to produce more revs and more horsepower before shifts. It is rated at 26mpg overall and seems to be getting that.

This one doesn't have the Entune premium package with navigation and maintenance features, but the head unit does do AM/FM, HD FM, XM, weather, traffic, bluetooth, cd, mp3, and has a usb connection under the dash for an iPod. There is also an integrated backup camera. This model doesn't have the annoying lane departure and proximity alerts, which is good. The seats are two-tone gray leather and the dash has a leather pad running across inside the passenger compartment. There are carbon fiber door inserts and the gauge cluster panel looks like it may be carbon fiber but it may also be a textured plastic. The back seat has plenty of leg room, the rear seat backs recline a bit and the center of the rear seat folds down to become an arm rest. There is a retractable / removable luggage cover in the back which is a nice touch. The ride is comfortable but a bit noisy... Standard fare for an SUV. It also has a sunroof which I could do without but not having one was a deal-breaker for my wife. About the only thing I don't like about it is the black plastic bumpers and under door trim. Why couldn't Toyota just leave these the same color and material as the body? This is the super-durable plastic stuff with a rough texture which never seems to wash completely clean and fades over the course of two years, turning grayish-white. I used to have a Chevy Cavalier with bumpers made out of this stuff and it's wretched.

Perhaps what I like best about the Rav is that it is small for an SUV. My in-laws have a Nissan Murano and it's wide and long. Not as much as a Ford Expedition but it can still be a chore to park and more than once, my father-in-law has smacked the passenger mirror on their garage door jam.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the Rav and my wife absolutely loves it. Would I buy one for me personally to be MY daily driver? No. I like smaller cars and have a certain disdain for trucks and SUVs. That's one reason I have stayed with my Celica for so long. When it's time for me to finally upgrade, I will probably stick with Toyota and buy a Corolla or perhaps get a Scion FR-S.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For some reason that leather strip looks odd beneath the radio. It covers everything underneath.

Maybe I am just not seeing it correctly.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
All that is directly below are the Eco and Sport mode buttons, a usb plug and a 12v outlet. Under that is the tray where the ipod rests, a coin tray, and a cup holder. On the passenger side, the glove box is underneath it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great pictures, Clint. Thanks!

I've currently got an '07 Hyundai Santa Fe and will likely be moving to another SUV in a while. The Rav 4 could be on a short list of possibilities. That interior is radically different than almost anything else I've ever seen. Very interesting.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Clinton, I plug a USB stick full of songs directly into the USB port in my Escape, and the Sync system plays 'em. I wonder if the Rav4 works the same way.

I just replaced my Continental Contipro Contacts, which had been bald for about 8000 miles, with a set of new General Altimax RT43s. It's only been a week, so we'll see how they break in, but my mileage is down nearly 10%. Something's fishy. . .

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Aaron - The Rav4's usb system works the same way. I use an iPhone 3gs repurposed as an iPod but I could use a usb stick if I wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks