What's new

What are the best made-for-TV movies available on DVD? (1 Viewer)

BrianBo

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased Door to Door (William H. Macy), and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the movie. Does anyone have other recommendations?

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
One that I personally happen to like is the TV-mini "Storm Of The Century". IMO, a much better better result than a lot of the Stephen King material that's translated to TV (whether or not he handles the teleplay duties, as he did with this one; some of his others have been pretty lacking, IMO).

This one just happened to be on my mind, since it was on SciFi this past weekend. That prompted me to pull out the DVD on a dreary Sunday evening...perfect atmosphere for this one.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Don't know if my choices "count" as movies, but I've always been a great fan of North and South. Sadly, my other two favorites, Queen and A Woman Named Jackie have yet to see DVD releases.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
The two telefilms, The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler, starring Darren McGavin as nosy but loveable reporter Carl Kolchak, are available on one disc from MGM. Fun stuff!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for the Stand.

ps-Still hoping for a dvd release of "The First Olympics-Athens, 1896".

Jim Saunders

Agent
The Stand, hands down. The Day After is a great old movie. I bought Threads off ebay, but wasnt really impressed with it. I own it, I'll try watching it again someday in hopes that I wasnt in the right mindset the first time I watched it, but for now I cant recommend it.

Note- Threads is basicly the British version of The Day After.

Jim Saunders

Agent
Anyone remember 'Chiefs' from the early 80s? One of my all time favorite mini-series. Not yet released on DVD, but it should be. Excellent movie.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Another vote for "The Stand" here...though I'm still waiting for that groundswell of support for the release of the 1980 gem "The Ordeal of Dr. Mudd." One of the best films made about the Lincoln assassination, IMO.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Another vote for Storm of the Century. Highly enjoyable and creepy.

But one of the all-time greatest TV movies is still not available on DVD: The Legend of Lizzie Borden with Elizabeth Montgomery.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Duel" I think has to win the award for best TV-movie on DVD hands down.

Confining this category to TV movies no longer than four hours (two parts), I would also add "The Missiles Of October" (1974), "Rehearsal For Murder" (1982), "Hiroshima" (1995) and "DC 9/11" (2003).

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
I'd give big thumbs up to three of them - ALL can be found very cheaply too...

61* (Billy Crystal directed)
The Tuskegee Airmen (stars Laurence Fishbourne)

and my personal favorite...

Soul of the Game (story of integration into Major League Baseball - OUTSTANDING!!!)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Is the early 80s version of "East of Eden," with Jane Seymour, available on DVD? I reallly enjoyed that version.

"Threads" scared me much more than "The Day After" did when I first saw them. I don't think the latter film really holds up all that well.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Most of the 1980s nuclear war films don't hold up well IMO, because they were made for reasons of an underlying political agenda that was proved wrong by subsequent history.

I would also agree on "61*" being an outstanding TV movie on DVD. Another good one that is unfortunately only available as a cheap PD DVD release is 1986's "The Last Days Of Patton" with George C. Scott reprising his most famous role.

Another good TV movie of Scott's available is the 1984 "A Christmas Carol".

There are alas many good TV movies of the 60s and 70s, the days when such movies were really a special kind of event on television, that I fear we may never see on DVD because they have become so obscure.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I'd recommend "44 Minutes: The North Hollywood Shootout" which aired on fx about a year ago. It's based on a true story about two men who attempted to rob a Bank of America branch located in North Hollywood using AK47's and the ensuing shootout with the LAPD on February 27, 1997.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
The Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour
Citizen X with Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks