What's new

What are the best 5 disc CD player for around $1000? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I'm looking to buy a new CD player and I really love having a 5 disc player. I know the Sony ES 222 and 555 are great players but I am looking for other options. What about the Rotel RCC-1055? I am looking for CD playback only.
Thanks!
James
ps I tried the search function, but it was down and sorry for the mistakes in the post heading. I've got jet lag!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
well, useless comments aside, i've always seen the cal (california audio labs) cl-10 listed as "the" changer to have if you're strictly looking for redbook performance. you can find them on the used market for around $600-$800. check audiogon as i'm sure there are a few of them there.

kevin t

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Johnny,

Why are you here?

James,

Kevin is right in that the Cal Audio CL-10 is often regarded as the best CD changer ever made. I've read that numerous times on Audio Asylum. Rotel, Arcam, and Anthem have also made quality changers over the years, and as you said, Rotel currently as a model on the market. I haven't heard, but I'm sure it's a solid player. I'd have to think that a comparably priced single-disc player would be better, however.

If you are willing to buy used, I think the Sony 'C555ES would be your best bet. It's an excellent CD player, and of course, it plays SACDs too. Build quality is first-rate too. You should be able to find one used for $500-700, which is a great price when you consider that it originally retailed for $1700.

The 'C222ES, while not as good in any area as the 'C555ES in my experience, is also an excellent buy. You should be able to score one new for $350 through Oade Bros., J&R Music World, or OneCall.

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for the information guys, except for you johnny. I was told to look into California Audio, so I've been trying to research them but I can't find their homepage. Does anybody have the link?
James

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll second Keith's recommendation on the Sony 555ES, if you can find one. The unit is built like a tank, and I am still amazed at the audio quality of the component at its price point (I paid $600 for a new unit). It does not have the harsh "digital sound" of the DACs in my old entry level CD carousel or my Pioneer Elite receiver.

Jane Spellman

Auditioning
California Audio Labs (CAL) is out of biz. For this reason, I would demand a very low price on a used unit. Not sure how you might get this repaired.

FWIW, I own the Sony 222es and I could not be happier. The 555 sounds better but not radically so. I am still amazed at how good the 222es sounds on redbook. Does anyone know if the 222es upsamples the redbook 16/44 to DSD?

If so, this might explain the excellent redbook performance.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I had a Cal Audio Icon Mk II for several years and loved it. If you can find a Cal 5-disc changer in good condition, go for it. I never had an issue with my Icon.
My secondary recommendation would be Rotel. Either the 955 (recently discontinued) or the new 1055. The 1055 retails for, I believe, $700. I don't know if there is any difference between the 955 and 1055, except a change in model number and a $100 bump up in price.
Third on my list is the Sony 555, but only if you are really interested in SACD.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
California Audio Labs (CAL) is out of biz. For this reason, I would demand a very low price on a used unit. Not sure how you might get this repaired.
Actually, CAL products have retained much of their value because they are such a limited number available and because they are considered excellent performers. I believe several of the guys who were engineers at CAL still offer repair services. Also, wasn't Channel Islands Audio created by several people who were involved in Cal Audio Labs?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Actually, CAL products have retained much of their value because they are such a limited number available and because they are considered excellent performers. I believe several of the guys who were engineers at CAL still offer repair services. Also, wasn't Channel Islands Audio created by several people who were involved in Cal Audio Labs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks