What's new

What are some options for good inexpensive rear speakers? (1 Viewer)

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Looking for options for the rear 4 speakers for my 7.1 setup.
Currently I am planning on a 10" Klipsch sub, Paradigm Mini Monitor v.7 bookshelfs, Paradigm center 1 center, all powered by a Marantz reciever.
I was looking for something good, but on the cheaper side for the rears as I have already gone fat on my budget for the other items. I was thinking about Polk Audio OWM3 speakers for the rear 4 but don't really know. Does anyone know if these will be okay for my setup?
Or can anyone reccomend good inexpensive rear speakers for my setup?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am planning on a 10" Klipsch sub
Why Klipsch? You can get a better performing sub for the same price from any of our favorite internet direct companies. What is your sub budget?
Any set of speakers will work for the rears. Timbre matching is not as critical for them. Heck, I've used some old Polk speakers for years with my system. I don't have a clue about the model number. They were free along with their stands.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
My buddy reccomended the sub. He has it, and I was impressed with it.
What sub do you reccomend?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd go with this one - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=656 But you didn't answer my question about sub budget so I'm not sure what your price and size limits are.
Klipsch makes awesome speakers but only average subs. Our standard sub companies are SVS, Elemental Designs, Epik Subwoofers, Hsu Research, Rythmik Audio, BIC and Dayton. They have subs from $99 to $2,000. Plus most of the companies have a presence here. SVS founders met at this forum.
I'm a DIY guy myself but that can be covered in a separate thread if you want to go that route.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Good Lord! Yeah my budget is nowhere near that range.
I was looking at Klipsch Synergy 10" sub. You can find them for $300. Having heard it perform, I was more than content with that. But if youve got a better suggestion in the $300 or less range, I would definately take a look at it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M
The best sub under $300. If you go to $400, the lower end Elmental Designs models. $500, the Epik Legend.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
There's a plethora of speakers, receivers, and other home theatre items that may be superior to others at a price I could never afford. Most people have a budget like me.
The last sub you posted seems to have a bit cheaper price tag that the Klipsch sub I was looking at. But the reviews I read on it seemed to be mixed at best. Have you heard this sub in person? Have you heard the Klipsch 10" Synergy sub in person? From my limited experience, bigger and more powerefull does not always mean its the best.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also FWIW, more expensive does not always mean better. We are not about buying the most expensive speaker here at HTF. We like to get the best bang for our money. That's why we always want to know your budget.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the info. I'll look a little bit more into the one he suggested.
Since we are on the topic of subs now that it seems my choice for rears are okay, are there any other subs in that price range you guys might reccomed?

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I guess my concern with the BIC was that I read that it was great at crisp highs, and mids, but didn't put out a lot of bass, which is exactly what I wanted the sub to do. Now granted I didn't read all of the reviews, and perhaps this was not true.
Robert, since you are the go to guy, do you believe the BIC you suggested is the best sub for $300 or less to go with my setup?
Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitor v.7
centers: Paradigm Center 3
Rears: Polk Audio OWM 3
Reciever: Marantz (1300 I believe)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by CALL911 /t/321009/what-are-some-options-for-good-inexpensive-rear-speakers#post_3930939
I guess my concern with the BIC was that I read that it was great at crisp highs, and mids, but didn't put out a lot of bass, which is exactly what I wanted the sub to do. Now granted I didn't read all of the reviews, and perhaps this was not true.
Robert, since you are the go to guy, do you believe the BIC you suggested is the best sub for $300 or less to go with my setup?
Fronts: Paradigm Mini Monitor v.7
centers: Paradigm Center 3
Rears: Polk Audio OWM 3
Reciever: Marantz (1300 I believe)

Are you certain you read a reviews for the subwoofer???

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Like I said I read some, and some mentioned not hitting lows. After looking at more, others mentioned it does. That's why I said "mixed" reviews. Most of all said it was a good quality sub.
I guess I was looking for that warm fuzzy from one of you telling me it would indeed have plenty of bass and be a good combo for my setup.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess I was looking for that warm fuzzy from one of you telling me it would indeed have plenty of bass and be a good combo for my setup.
You haven't stated your goals so therefore I can't tell you if it will meet or exceed them. I was recommending the BIC based on pure value alone.
That said, I built a pair of these - http://web.archive.org/web/20060320200625/http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-csplus1.cfm using those exact drivers. I powered them with 400w each and it did not satisfy my bass needs. I use a pair of these - http://web.archive.org/web/20070224172836/http://www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm in the 15" model. Each receives about 800w at 20hz. This setup meets my goals. I have some ideas that will exceed my goals by a large margin.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I guess my goals was to have a good sub to deliver the bass to the existing system I had laid out, all for at my $300 or less price range.
Unfortunately niether one of your links seemed to work for me :( You had mentioned that you have put subs together before, or were a DIY guy. I would consider buying a "built" sub, but probably not interested in building my own. Feel free to PM me with more info if you wish.
If the BIC is a good bass delivering sub, that you believe would suffice for my goals, I would have no problem purchasing it. I guess I just wanted someone who knows more about this stuff like yourself to give me the thumbs up on it combined with the other speakers and reciever I was going to use first.
Thanks for your help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did get some odd message from the Wayback Machine but I clicked the Impatient? link on the bottom right of the screen.
You had mentioned that you have put subs together before, or were a DIY guy. I would consider buying a "built" sub, but probably not interested in building my own. Feel free to PM me with more info if you wish.
Selling equipment for profit is not allowed here without upgrading to a vendor but I don't sell my subs to strangers. I usually sell or trade them at a loss to friends and family. If you are lucky, I may give it to you.
I guess I just wanted someone who knows more about this stuff like yourself to give me the thumbs up on it combined with the other speakers and reciever I was going to use first.
I don't know you so I don't know your likes and dislikes. We're not a rubber stamp group here. We try to get to know you and recommend something that fits not only your goals but your budget.
If you aren't sure about the BIC, go to the sub section over at AVS and read up on it. They have in-room response graphs and compare it to dozens of other subs.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I am new here, so I am still learning. No worries on the selling your own stuff. I just didn't know with the classifieds section being here if your own built subs fit into that category. I wouldn't expect a total stranger to build and "give" me a sub, no more than you would be willing to just give it away I am sure :)
I am glad you guys aren't a "rubber stamp group", as you are correct. One mans perfect speaker, is anothers least wanted.
To be as specific as I can, I am looking for something that puts out a good amount of bass. Something that will compliment the mids and highs that the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.7 bookshelfs, and Paradigm Center 3 would provide via the Marantz (1300?) reciever. I am also on a budget for the sub to be at or below $300. Given that criterea, you mentioned that the BIC you listed was a better choice than the Klipsch Synergy 10" sub I was originally looking at. As stated I have heard, and liked that particular sub. But, if you believe that the BIC would be superior clarity and bass wise over the Klipsch, I know if nothing else I will go with that. If you know any other models for me to consider, let me know.
In the mean time, I will look into the AVS section as mentioned for further info on my own.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can you post a link to the Klipsch sub? I can't find an exact model when I Google the terms you use.
Something that will compliment the mids and highs that the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.7 bookshelfs, and Paradigm Center 3 would provide via the Marantz (1300?) reciever.
It's more of matching the sub to the room and your goals than matching it to speakers and a receiver. That's why we rarely recommend a sub from a company known for their speakers. It's odd but they usually don't do a good job with the subs. On the other hand, sub companies that branch out into speakers do a better job with their speakers. But they are usually the smaller companies run by enthusiasts like us.
As stated I have heard, and liked that particular sub.
Going with a proven sub is always good. But if you can find comparisons, with subs you can usually trust the numbers. Speakers, auditions are usually required.
I am new here, so I am still learning. No worries on the selling your own stuff. I just didn't know with the classifieds section being here if your own built subs fit into that category. I wouldn't expect a total stranger to build and "give" me a sub, no more than you would be willing to just give it away I am sure smile.gif
I'm sure my wife would like me to get rid of a few. I have 30 or so subs laying around. They range from 10" to 21" with the majority being 12" and 15".
We can get deeper into theory, ported vs. sealed, high inductance drivers, low distortion motor technology, underhung vs. overhung voice coils, etc.

CALL911

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
Heres a link to the sub I was talking about> http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M59GQ2
How does this sub compare to the BIC you originally posted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks