What's new

What are some of your taped treasures never on video? (1 Viewer)

Mike DB

Agent
JeffMc said:
Four of these films already had VHS releases.

I did understand the premise.
Over the years I looked high and low for all of the ones I listed in any format and never found anything. Sorry. I'll admit I haven't actually searched these titles in a while, and maybe I don't know all the resources that you have access too. Which four have had video releases?

walter o

Supporting Actor
Mike DB said:

HENNSSEY = was originally on HBO video, then on MGM video
SPECIAL BULLETIN was originally on Lorimar video
HEARTS OF DARKNESS = was on Paramount video as well as CFI video in Canada
GODFATHER saga = was on paramount in a big box set, I have it, it even came with a big color book.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
OT, but not really. I'll bet there aren't too many people around here that remember HENNESSEY, the TV series with Jackie Cooper. THAT would make an interesting set of DVDs, no? I haven't seen any episode of that show in probably 50 years, yet I can still remember the theme song.

Harry

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Mike DB said:

No problem, Mike. Amazon is always a good starting-point to check on VHS releases from the past. It's not always accurate, but there's definitely some solid information there.

Walter mentioned four of the VHS releases - (I didn't even know about the Godfather Extended release on VHS from Paramount!).

Plus, the "SALVADOR DALI - SOFT SELF PORTRAIT" documentary was released on VHS by Pacific Arts Video.

Mike DB

Agent
walter o said:

I've never seen these available commercially, I only have them as taped off cable.

"The Godfather Trilogy?" If that's what you have, I think it's not the same as the "SAGA" (aka "Epic") that I am referring to. The Saga only involves parts 1 and 2 as I mentioned, re-edited as one continous story chronologically. It played on broadcast TV with heavily censored scenes and dubbed in cleaned up language but also played on cable (pay?) without the censorship.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There were so many small, unadvertized, off-label, or otherwise obscure VHS releases that I think one could be forgiven for not being aware of them all. What about all those PBS shows which had releases only available to educational institutions?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Turner Classic Movies is also showing "Ace in the Hole" in January, at 2:30 a.m. (EST) on Jan. 25. That's one of my taped treasures, albeit a copy of another person's tape made from the last AMC broadcast in the late 1990s.

RomanSohor

Second Unit

I've become very popular since I found my taped copy of Mickey's 60th Birthday (Mickey is missing, he visits a bunch of NBC sitcoms (Cheers, Family Ties), and Roger Rabbit finds him. :) Now if only I Could find my tape of Donald's 50th Birthday... with that song "Happy Birthday, it's Donald's Birthday, Happy, Happy Birthday to you!"

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

WOW!! This is the most incredible news that I've heard in years. I finally broke down and bought two different bootlegs this year. If I had known that would finally spur some TV interest, I would have done it years ago. I can at least record a watchable version from that, and hopefully it means that Paramount is going to follow up with a DVD.

I could be wrong, but the last recollection that I have of this being on TV was on AMC almost 10 years ago. Remember when AMC still used to show movies???

PS. Where did you get this information? Their website only has listings through December.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Someone on TCM's message boards, under "Hot Topics," likes to post a link for the third month down the line (one month beyond what's normally shown on the site). He or she changes the December part of the web address to January, e.g., then posts the link, even before TCM readies the schedule that will match the link. They did post the January schedule several days ago, so the link below should work.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?c...T&oid=1/1/2007

This isn't too far off topic, as it can lead to some more "taped treasures" for us, but January looks like a heck of a month for TCM. They've apparently licensed a slew of Columbia and UA films (both from Sony now, I guess), including a Hammer ("The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb"), "The Corpse Came C.O.D.," "The Heroes of Telemark" (letterboxed, I hope), some Boston Blackie's, and lots of '50s sci-fi and rock-and-roll films. "The Legend of Lylah Clare," an MGM film I've wanted to tape, is back on the schedule. I think it was replaced with another film the last time they scheduled it.

"The Big Carnival," as TCM lists it, may be part of a Paramount package they licensed a year or two ago. I've been looking for two films mentioned in the original press release, "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" and "The File on Thelma Jordon," ever since, but I don't think they've been on. January could be the roll-out month for these films.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Dan,

Thank you so much for that information. I'm excited beyond words about this screening coming up and will have a hard time sleeping until then. It's a shame that they're referring to it as "The Big Carnival" and giving it such a crappy time slot. I guess you have to start somewhere, but this film is most definitely deserving of better treatment than that.

You're right about a lot of "Taped Treasures" coming in January. I subscribe to the TCM guide and am pretty familiar with the films that they routinely show. There are quite a few in January that are new to me and many that I have been crossing my fingers for including James Whales' "The Man in the Iron Mask" from 1939.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
A few things I have on tape or home-made DVD that as far as I know have never been released on video (but I long for a spiffy looking DVD version):

The Macomber Affair

Fast Charlie...the Moonbeam Rider

The Last Flight (Richard Barthelmess, David Manners, Helen Chandler, dir. William Dieterle)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Oh, and Clive of India, with Ronald Colman in one of the two movies he made without the famous mustache. :)

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
here are a few of my absolute favourites, clinging for their lives to decaying EP tapes from the eighties:

-- Three Strangers (1946) -- co-written by John Huston; flavourful direction by the early, Curtiz-like Negulesco; a fine lead romantic performance by Peter Lorre (opposite Joan Lorring--who never had so good a role again); Sydney Greenstreet overwhelming as ever; Geraldine Fitzgerald demonstrating why Huston originally wanted her for Maltese Falcon (although I love Mary Astor in the role too!)

-- Torrid Zone (1940) -- The Front Page reworked as a Cagney/Ann Sheridan/Pat O'Brien vehicle, and reset on an exploitative fruit plantation in Latin America; the movie doesn't pull any punches in its clear-eyed depiction of corporate neo-imperialism, and basically takes the side of the local guerrilla movement (led by George Tobias' charming rogue); of course, this being a comedy, everything is resolved a little too simply, but no studio but warners would even have raised any of the questions that this film does... and Ann Sheridan really shines here too (1940 was the turning point in her career, after years of fairly unrewarding cameos and small supporting "love interest" roles)

-- Daughters Courageous (1939) -- an unofficial sequel to The Four Daughters (1938)--which did get a VHS release, although none of the other Lane sisters movies did (together, they'd make a fine boxed set on DVD!)--this is the best film of the bunch (in one book I read a while back on director Michael Curtiz, he was said to have claimed that this was his most underrappreciated film! I quite agree!) fantastic script by the Epstein Brothers... John Garfield's ultimate anti-work ethic characterization (and his chemistry with Priscilla Lane is wonderful); Claude Rains gets to play roguish, instead of (in the other Daughters movies) crusty-with-a-heart-of-gold; and the camerawork (especially moving camera stuff) is better than any family comedy-drama has a right to expect!

I could list a hundred more, but I'll have to sign off for now!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
From Noon Till Three (1976, Charles Bronson and Jill Ireland) Look it up in imdb.com. Most people have never heard of it, but we used to watch it on cable all the time. *sigh* Actually, I'm told it's been shown this year on Encore or whatever. I don't have those stupid channels. I want a dvd.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Bright Victory (1951) Arthur Kennedy -was nominated for best actor Oscar.

Day of the Evil Gun (1968) Glen Ford and Arthur Kennedy

Would love to see both of these officially released in some form one of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks