What's new

What are some of your favorite foods and/or drinks? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I bow to your superior knowledge. I remember I was a student at the time and we had to ask an American student what this 'cool aid' stuff was. We found it hard to comprehend the idea of a powdered drink (similar stuff here is invariably in liquid form, and with a much much smaller range of flavours).

Well, anyway, I like grape flavour. I know it's a common flavour in the USA but honestly and truly you will be hard pressed to find anything grape flavoured in UK shops. I discovered it on a trip to Canada in the late 70s and have been hooked ever since.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

I was around 14-15 at the time and did not drink it (I have no sweet tooth and feared sporting the dreaded "Kool-Aid Mustache" around the neighborhood girls), but my little brother loved the stuff and was upset when my mother banned it. He had to settle for Funny Face Goofy Grape (a Kool-Aid competitor), which was better IMHO and didn't leave a mustache. Strange that grape is exotic across the pond, it's pretty standard here (anything that is an original Popsicle flavor is as generic as they come).:)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Any type of Korean barbeque. Hell, I love Korean food in general.

Breakfast foods (eggs, sausages, homemade waffles)

Homemade fried chicken

Potatoes in any way, shape and form

Indian curry

Fresh corn and tomatoes out of the garden

Spinach salads with pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Collard greens cooked with ham hocks and seasoned with pepper sauce

Spicy boiled crawfish

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I can think of two foods offhand that are to die for:

Batter Fried Cheese Curds. More specifically, the battered fried cheese curds sold only at a single stand at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. I don't know what they do to them that make their curds so much better, but I could almost live on them alone. I just wished they were available year round.

Honeycrisp Caramel Apples. The Honeycrisp apple was developed in Minnesota and has become an upper midwest legend in a short time. It is without competition as the best apple ever grown - I don't care what you're favorites are. It's not just a little better, it blows away all other varieties. Firm, juicy and sweet, but more so. Slathered with caramel (Abdullah caramel is the best so far, but not the dipping kind generally available - only the caramel available to business in big blocks) it's food Nirvana. And it's nearly that time of the year.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Fresh Walleye Pan Fried - My favorite food, can't beat Walleye fresh out of the lake.

Fried Zucchini - Battered in Egg and Flour, with a dose of salt and pepper... Hmm...

Fresh Plain Caked Doughnuts - If the doughnuts aren't 100% fresh they won't taste nearly as good, but when I worked at a grocery store I would hover over the frier as fresh doughnuts would come out.

Fresh French Fries

Baby Back Ribs with a spicy BBQ sauce.

Pork Shoulder Sandwhich with a vinegar mustard sauce.

Good German Beer - Particularly Doppel Bocks.

Tapioca Pudding.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ditto jeff's ice cream maker ... i have the same one as well. that thing works like a charm.

---

let's see ... what do i love to munch on?

sushi - prolly my fave food
steak - prolly my second fave food (any type, including prime rib)
pecan sandies - just bought a bag this week
hot dog in warmed flour tortilla w/tobasco sauce - man, that's good stuff.
crab - now i wanna go to joe's crab shack
ice cream - speaking of ... the new dreyers "slow churned" stuff is pretty good. 1/2 the fat, 1/3 the calories ... all of the taste. definitely give it a try.
peanut m&m's - there's a reason i usually don't buy the 5 pound costco bag
starbucks - grande soy white mocha w/an extra shot please!
in-n-out - #3 please, but sub the drink with a neopolitan shake!

i'm sure there's a lot that i'm missing ...

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
My favorite foods and drinks:

Pizza, especially from Fricano's: Cracker thin crust topped with cheese and pepperoni and spices. I just recently started eating pizza with ranch dressing. Damn, that is good!

Johnsonville Cheddar Brats - Put shredded chesse, mustard, and spicy mustard on it, and it's gone in the blink of an eye.

Cheetos - I like pretty much any cheesy flavored snack and Cheetos takes the top spot.

Strawberry Cheesecake - Mmm, mmm good.

Be back later with some more.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
My dad was always making jokes about my favorite foods/beverages, and he said that for me to be happy, I would have to marry:

A dairy farmer with at least 25 acres of potatoes and half interest in Hershey's chocolate factory.

1. French fries - nothing beats them, especially Southern style home fries cooked in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Sure, the arteries might be hardening as I write this, but what a way to go! :D

2. Pork roast and sauerkraut - dad was from Czechoslovakia, and the Czechs love their pork roast. In fact, according to an article from Radio Prague, Pork Roast is the national dish. Especially if it is slow roasted and tender enough to cut with a fork.

3. Milk - Hello, my name is Lynda-Marie and I am a milkoholic. :D I have yet to find anything else that can satisfy my thirst anywhere near as well as an ice cold glass of milk.

4. In October, my brothers and I are going to Wenatchee to visit an apple farmer we know, and get at least a box or two of fresh apples. For me, there is no finer apple than a Washington State red delicious. Dad taught me the trick of figuring out how to pick the best apples:
A. The stem must have no hint of wrinkles on the surface.
B. The scent must be ever so slight. A strong smell of apple might mean that it has been sitting in a warehouse and is last year's crop. Safeway is notorious for bringing out last year's crop and selling them as new.
C. When choosing the "right" apples, look carefully at the skin. In red delicious, they have yellowish stripes and patches. Take the ones with these stripes and patches.

5. Chocolate - ah, yes, sin in candy bar form. Though I have tried other brands, Hershey's, in my opinion, still beats them all.

6. Vegetable haters, I am using a spoiler so that I do not gross you out. Highlight this at your own risk! Broccoli - I know, I know, this is not the most popular vegetable on the planet. But I love the stuff! Especially when it is steamed until it is just tender, and given just a little bit of real butter, and maybe a tiny dash of salt.

7. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries - It is very strange to me that as a child I hated many types of berries. As an alleged adult, I am hooked on many of them to the point of obsession! The problem was solved by a friend's grandma, who likes to grow her own berries. She says the problem is most people simply do NOT know what ripe means. Though I was skeptical, she gave me some berries that were truly ripe, without sugar, to try. Amazing how those bitter little lumps of red, blue and black are now alive with sweet, subtle flavors.

8. Potato chips - or, as our friends in the UK and Australia would say, crisps - What is it about these silly, unhealthy, over salted little buggers that make them impossible to resist? "Bet you can't eat just one," was one of the most apt commercial slogans I have ever heard. Parmesan garlic, ranch and barbecue, in that order, are my all time favorites. In Washington State, we have Tim's Cascade Crunch, and they are the ones responsible for the Parmesan garlic flavor. My brothers love the wasabi flavored chips.

9. Ice cream - so many flavors, so little freezer space! My all time favorite ice cream is from Husky's, a family owned deli in West Seattle. The ice cream is mixed to their own family recipe and specifications by Darigold, because there just isn't room in the deli anymore to do it on site. On hot summer days, there is always a long, long line at the ice cream counter. I would happily wait an hour or more!

10. Buttermilk biscuits - my mom came from Columbus, GA, and brought the taste for Southern cuisine. Buttermilk biscuits, especially those made by Southern women, are just heavenly. Light enough to fly away on their own, with a distinct taste... I don't know if words could ever replace the experience. Too bad I did not inherit mom's cooking talents.

11. Pecans - speaking of the South, these particular nuts are second to none. Even high grade cashews go by the wayside in my estimation.

12. Banana pudding - It was a Christmas tradition in my household that we would all gather around the TV watching "Yours Mine and Ours" starring Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball, and tuck into a big bowl of banana pudding. Mom would cook the pudding, then pour it in a big flat pan that was lined with Nilla wafers. Then she would quickly put down another layer of wafers, pour in more pudding. The bananas were usually sliced up when the pudding was served, since they tended to turn black and make the pudding look really gross.

Wow, thanks to the originator of this thread, I am going to be drooling like a baby for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot! ;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
MEXICAN FOOD!!!

Anything that comes in a tortilla, baby!

That's it... I'm hitting La Fuente tonight. Thanks, you guys.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
A few unmentioned favorites.

*Mushroom caps stuffed with a cream-cheese & ________ filling. (what goes in the cream cheese is upto the chef).
*French-fried onion green-bean casserole
*Jones Soda
*NY Pizza ,Buddhist style ("Make me one with everything")
*Wine, usually dry
*Buffalo wings. I once rode a bike 300 miles to Buffalo for wings
*Crab legs & lobster tails
*steak w/ bleu cheese sauce
*fried pickles
*steamed artichokes

I also went on a fresh corn-on-the-cob binge after watching The Secret Window.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah ... re lynda-marie's #6.

i love asparagus! toss that on the grill with a little kosher salt and evoo ... and i'm in heaven heaven heaven!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm a simple man with simple tastes...

Pizza! I tell ya I eat this stuff like a Ninja Turtle!

Favorite chain: Papa John's

Favorite frozen: Tombstone, Degiorno(sp), Red Barron or Stouffer's french bread.

Worst frozen: Ellio's (i've broken a tooth on that rock hard shit) and Mama Celeste. :thumbsdown:

Papa John's Chicken strips with Buffalo sauce. Yummy!

Pretty much anything Italian, my favorite food.

Chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce.

French fries dipped in BBQ sauce.

Chip's Ahoy chocolate chip cookies dipped in ice cold milk! There's a science to that, though, dip the cookie too long and it breaks off and you lose it, dip it not long enough and it's still too hard.

Cereal. My favorites being either Froot Loops or Lucky Charms. For the hot variety I love Cream of Wheat, especially Brown sugar and cinnimon!

Hamburger Helper. If i'm hungry enough I can eat a whole pot! I also add spices to the meat.

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese dinner. Told you I had simple tastes.

Ice cream. I used to be a big Ben & Jerry's fan, but I recently found a place around me called Brusters that makes fresh whipped ice cream right there on the premises! They have a flavour called 'Cake Batter' and it's exactly what you think it is.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

As for drinks, I like iced tea, milk (love milk), juice, Gatorade if i'm really hot and thirsty and Red Bull in the mornings occasionally if i'm feeling run down. I hate water.

DanaA

Screenwriter
For me, and I'm talking when hunger takes over, pizza, ribs, Mexican, Japanese, and Chinese curry dishes if the curry is just right.

For sweets, double hot fudge sundaes, good 'n plenty, Jordan's almonds.

Beverages of choice are iced tea and coke.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
How could I forget about Ice Cream, I should be ashamed.

Vanilla Ice Cream and Vanilla Malts... yummy.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Food:
Roast Beef with Mashed Potatos and gravy, bread and butter, grean beans.

Cherry Fruit Gushers

The house salad with grapenuts and vinnegrette dressing from a local pizza place.

Drink:
2% Milk
Sobe Citrus Drink
Pepsi

Adult Beverage:
Basil Hayden
Mirror Pond
Old Fashioned with Woodford.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A few of my tops:

-Pistachio Nuts mixed into Vanilla Ice Cream (not the already made Pistachio ice cream, I'm talkin' mixing it yourself)

-Filet Mignon and A1 (I know the steak connoisseurs will hate me for this, but tough nuggies :D)

-Snapple Peach Iced Tea (until I gave up sugar, I used to drink at least 2-3 a day)

-Any kind of pasta and sauce (real homeade sauce)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order:

Vanilla ice cream, as a milkshake, floating in root beer, or on top of a soft warm chewy brownie

The traditional thanksgiving meal, with tender white turkey breast meat and crispy skin, garlic mashed potatoes with gravy, and cranberries. Roast chicken breast can be substituted for the turkey when it’s not thanksgiving.

Warm apple pie, with flaky, golden brown crust.

A cold roast beef sandwich, sliced thin, with lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado

Lasagna, with plenty of meat sauce and cheese

Baby back ribs, falling off the bone, or a pulled pork sandwich

French fries that are piping hot, a beautiful golden brown, and very crispy and not greasy

Tacos with that great marinated beef or chicken breast meat, with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and a good hot sauce

A strawberry soda

Fine, fluffy shaved ice on a hot summer day

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Oh, I almost forgot, I also love Red Hot potato chips. Want a quick and fail-proof pick-me-up in the morning? Forget coffee, down one of those 99 cent bags of UTZ Hot chips, they'll get you goin', especially if you get lucky and get a bag where every chip is blood red! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks