What Are Some Good Imports That'll Work in Region A?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Cinescott, May 3, 2011.

1. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    I've only bought two myself so far:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (theatrical release). UK edition, region free. This is a very nice disc. The video and audio (DTS-HD 7.1) are stellar and until we here in the US get a Blu-ray of the director's edition, this will do just fine. $25 shipped. I think this disc is identical to the one in the boxed set already released in the US, but I didn't want to get all the films.

The Deer Hunter. UK edition, regions A&B. I only recently ordered this, but the reviews are very good. $30 shipped. Will try to get a brief review up after I receive it.

Are there some others out there anyone would care to recommend?

2. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    The Boat that Rocked is much better, longer, and nuder than the lame American edit called Pirate Radio.

Phantom of the Paradise, Brian De Palma's classic horror satire of 70's music business, is only available through a French import that plays in Region A. But you have to remember to disable the French subtitles.

And I just watched the UK release of Dances With Wolves, which preserves the three-hour theatrical cut and not the unnecessarily longer (not that there's anything wrong with that for super fans) four-hour director's cut, which is the only version available stateside.

3. Martin Teller

Martin Teller Cinematographer

I've got Once, A Zed and Two Noughts and just yesterday my Taiwanese copy of Vive L'Amour arrived.

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Like Wayne, I have the UK theatrical version of Dances with Wolves. Same with Watchmen and the shorter international version of The Shining (which was Kubrick's preferred version, as I understand it). I also have the Canadian "Philosopher's Stone" version of the first Harry Potter movie, and the Japanese version of Equilibrium (which was retitled Rebellion there), whose UK & Canadian releases are not OAR.

As for titles that are not available at all in the US, I have Meet Joe Black and Caché/Hidden from the UK, The Cell from Canada, and Cube from the Netherlands. Caché and Cube both have PAL material on them that might cause problems for US players, but the main features play just fine.

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I have the following UK discs: Dances With Wolves theatrical, The Elephant Man, and Boys From Brazil. I also have the Canadian Amelie (US version finally announced for July) and City of God. Very happy with each one.

6. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    UK disk - TORA, TORA, TORA.

7. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

Is the UK Tora disc region A friendly?

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The Buddy Holly Story....

9. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

The UK version of ZULU is outstanding (and region free)

10. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I have the Dutch The Never Ending Story, the UK Capricorn One, and the French Dune (1984)

Also have the Canadian Region A From Dusk til Dawn. I understand it along with Halloween H2O to be better than the US versions.

11. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I have 2 of them:

Terminator Salvation - UK T-600 Endoskull Boxset.....bought it strictly for the skull when it was on sale around december for about 20 pounds at Amazon UK (It's 23.47 pounds right now). It's currently having a staredown match with my T-800 endoskull from across the living room.

Machete - HMV UK Exclusive Steelbook .......same extras as the region A edition.....bought it for the beautiful steelbook it comes in.

Both discs play just fine on my PS3.....the discs are region A+B enabled.

12. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak

Yes, as is the UK Blu-ray release of Prince Valiant, Sunrise, and City Girl

13. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

Is it different than or superior to the US release in some way?

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

I saw some screen grabs ( never cared for them much myself) that showed the US version was much darker than the Dutch release. I never bought the US disc for myself, so i couldnt tell you if it really is darker. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234653

I had bought the Dutch version a year or two before the US disc came out. I thought what were the odds of this movie coming to Blu, in the US. I believe the running time is the same for the Dutch, and US discs.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

Any chance we could talk you into taking a picture of that? That's just a great visual!

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Unfortunately they're too far apart for a photo as they are....the T-800 sits on top of my center speaker on my home theater cabinet while the T-600 sits in between 2 rear speakers on top of a large DVD/BD cabinet 16 feet across the room.

17. Guest

UK "The Black Shield of Falworth" - first Universal CinemaScope film.

18. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

StudioCanal's releases of Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man and Delicatessen are very much worth the trouble of importing. Wild at Heart looks decent too. And of course every region free title released by Eureka. City Girl and Sunrise look amazing.

19. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I ordered Mulholland Drive, but had to cancel it when I found it was not compatible for Region A. Are you sure this is a 'region-free' release playable in U.S. domestic BD players? Most UK imports are, I realize, but this one supposedly wasn't. If so, I'm all over it. Thanks.

20. Claus Nielsen

Claus Nielsen Stunt Coordinator

Mulholland Drive is region B locked.