What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Living in West Michigan, the high humidity levels. from early July to today I can count on one hand the number of pleasant summer days. I have never been one to handle high dew point\humidity well(my dog either...turns him lethargic), so this summer has been miserable can't hike because of the excessive sweating and mosquitoes.
Freaking every single day, it is just oppressively horrible. Even this weekend saw the extended weather early in the week(weatherman should be pleasant with temps in the low to mid 70s). Get to yesterday and today dew point, and humidity 70 and 95% respectively. "Unusual for this time of year". Weatherman says yesterday. Ya think?

Another miserable weekend with a drive in an air conditioned car being the high point. :(

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
"Battening down the hatches" seemed to be something the older generation readily ascribed to! Not always a plus in today's world, unfortunately! :P

Were you able to set up your A/C somewhere else in the House for the time being, at least?

My Universal Frankenstein & The Wolf Man Legacy Blu-ray sets arrived the day after their release, so no worries regarding that! :D

CHEERS! :)

OMG, only took me 25 hours, but finally figured out what you meant by "Battening down the hatches". Sometimes the brain takes a while to kick in :laugh:

With the A/C, put it in my bedroom, dropped the temp to about 60°, which is darn frikkin cold. But with a fan was able to spread the cool air around the house. I love heat, very comfortable up to about 80°, but anymore, no way. Plus my poor dog is panting, drinking gallons of water, it's not good for her. Trying to save the $ to get the central A/C unit replaced, it's easily 35+ years old. But getting quotes in the $4K-$5K range. Ouch. I can probably live with my little $150 unit for a long time.

But at the same time, several people have said it's just a minor "mechanical" issue, then a freon recharge, although they tell me that it's so old, the type of freon I need is illegal now. Sometimes you just give up.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Gave up on pancakes years ago, to much effort. Now I just do frozen waffles in the toaster :P

I switched to pancakes after eating Porridge everyday for the last 6 months or more, it started to taste blah! I don't like frozen waffles because after I toast them then add syrup, they get cold. I end up microwaving them. I'll probably go back to the mush after the pancake mix is gone.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I switched to pancakes after eating Porridge everyday for the last 6 months or more, it started to taste blah! I don't like frozen waffles because after I toast them then add syrup, they get cold. I end up microwaving them. I'll probably go back to the mush after the pancake mix is gone.

Yep, they definitely and defiantly (just for Tony) cool down way to fast. I've started microwaving a little butter and syrup so they're still warm when I eat them.

Porridge, I don't think I've ever used that word in my life. Must be a British thing.

To stay with the annoying topic, I can't handle real maple syrup. It's expensive and really kind of bland. I was diabetic for about three years starting in 2007. Five insulin injections a day, not fun. Thankfully went away. But I started using a sugar free syrup, still buy it now. It actually tastes better than the real thing. :dance:

Never paid much attention, but that little dancing banana is kind of a pervert. I guess this is now an R-rated post. :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yep, they definitely and defiantly (just for Tony) cool down way to fast. I've started microwaving a little butter and syrup so they're still warm when I eat them.

Porridge, I don't think I've ever used that word in my life. Must be a British thing.

To stay with the annoying topic, I can't handle real maple syrup. It's expensive and really kind of bland. I was diabetic for about three years starting in 2007. Five insulin injections a day, not fun. Thankfully went away. But I started using a sugar free syrup, still buy it now. It actually tastes better than the real thing. :dance:

Never paid much attention, but that little dancing banana is kind of a pervert. I guess this is now an R-rated post. :D
Where I grew up in Canada, Porridge was the word our Family used. Of course, my late father was also from Norwich, England. At any rate, a lot of the British wordings (Such as Chips for French Fries, and Chesterfield for Couch!) were still common in Small-town Ontario in the early '70s. My earliest exposure to Porridge's American name "Mush" was in the 1933 Little Rascals short MUSH AND MILK. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. I still remember my surprise at getting Rippled Potato Chips with my Burger when ordering Chips with my Burger at a Grand Rapids, Minnesota Bridgeman's Restaurant in the early '80s.

Regarding Maple Syrup, I'm annoyed by the fact that I don't have the option of having the real thing since acquiring the "Non Disappearing Diabetes" in the late '90s, as even a ridiculously small amount contains a massively high sugar content. Nevertheless, there is a Sugar Free Variety that I enjoy when our local Grocer actually has it in stock!

As for the "Perverted" Dancing Banana, I'd say that's open to interpretation! ;)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Where I grew up in Canada, Porridge was the word our Family used. Of course, my late father was also from Norwich, England. At any rate, a lot of the British wordings (Such as Chips for French Fries, and Chesterfield for Couch!) were still common in Small-town Ontario in the early '70s. My earliest exposure to Porridge's American name "Mush" was in the 1933 Little Rascals short MUSH AND MILK. I was about 11 or 12 at the time. I still remember my surprise at getting Rippled Potato Chips with my Burger when ordering Chips with my Burger at a Grand Rapids, Minnesota Bridgeman's Restaurant in the early '80s.

Regarding Maple Syrup, I'm annoyed by the fact that I don't have the option of having the real thing since acquiring the "Non Disappearing Diabetes" in the late '90s, as even a ridiculously small amount contains a massively high sugar content. Nevertheless, there is a Sugar Free Variety that I enjoy when our local Grocer actually has it in stock!

As for the "Perverted" Dancing Banana, I'd say that's open to interpretation! ;)

Chesterfield? Wow, that's a new one I've never heard. I think they were an old brand of cigarettes, but never knew it meant "Couch". They only word I've ever heard is the quaint old term "Davenport", who knows where that originated.

I love chips. Just good old fashioned Lay's potato chips and what we normally call "French Fries", major fat/carb bombs, but in small doses, not bad. Odd that we can buy "Fish and Chips", but if it's a burger, then they're called fries. Order a burger with chips and the clerk will look at you like you're an alien from outer-space.

I got really lucky with the diabetes issue. I was hospitalized for almost three weeks, mainly because they couldn't get my glucose level to behave. I was off the scale, had to send my blood to the lab and it was 750. ICU for several days and they got me back to normal, but when transferred to a regular room, went up to 450 until they finally got it under control. It was a shared room, so twice there were other guys in the other bed. They were in and out within a day. I felt perfectly fine and it was obvious they wanted to get people healthy and send them home, except they wouldn't let me leave. Three weeks in a hospital room isn't fun. I think I watched "A Beautiful Mind" at least five times, TV was not like my DISH package.:cool:

Due to whatever was happening, I was in a lot of pain. I was getting morphine injections constantly. The nurses finally got tired of it and convinced the doctors to put me on a PCA (where you control your own meds, Patient Controlled Analgesia). Naturally that happens about two hours before I'm discharged. Nice timing.

Just before discharge, they removed the catheter (OMG, thank goodness I wasn't awake for the insertion, the removal was bad enough, the nurse just yanked it out, any dignity or shyness by that point had long vanished). Then she pulls this thing out of my arm. I thought it was just a basic IV thing, but it ends up being this worm like tube inserted in your wrist, that then extends clear up your arm, around your shoulder, almost into your heart. As she's pulling it out, I'm just sitting there thinking "What in the f**k is that". Mega creepy.

Three years later, even with my insulin dosage down to just one injection a day, passed out, face first, almost broke my nose, still have the scar just between my eyes. Kind of zapped me back to reality, figured maybe I should check my blood, and it was 32, not good.

Foolishly drove myself to the ER, they kept me there for about ten hours, loading me up with carbs, Angel Food cake, white bread sandwiches, but zero appetite, so not much help. Last time I ever did an insulin injection. I'm fairly careful about what I eat now, but no more shots.

The strangest things stick in your mind, but when I got home, picked up the clothes I'd been wearing during the pass-out episode. They were soaking wet, like I'd just taken them out of the washing machine. I must have been sweating pounds of water, but no memory of it.

Weird thing was I was a bit chunky, 225 lbs. but I lost a load of weight. One day I checked and I was at 185, only to discover later with bad eyesight I was really 165. Eventually dropped to 130, which is way to scrawny for my build. I was wearing 29" jeans. Haven't been that size since high school.

Doctors said my body was essentially using itself as fuel. I've since leveled off at about 165-170, never moves. I can starve myself or eat all the junk food available, it just stays there. They told me it wasn't just diabetes, it was like a complete body shut-down, everything was failing. They were just about ready to remove my spleen, maybe gall-bladder? But I got better, obviously still here. My doctor is amazed, considers me a miracle patient.

Okay, another one of my "Way to much info" posts, but almost ten years later, I'm still going. Hey, it's rainy and cold, I'm bored. Nobody says you have to read this :rolleyes:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Okay, last annoying thing I'm going to bitch about <_<

Going in for back surgery on Tuesday. Today I get a bottle of "Betasept" in the mail. Some fancy antiseptic surgical soap so that I can clean myself properly.

They include a one page letter, seriously, on how to take a shower, shampoo your hair, how to rinse off correctly.

OMG, are people that dense they don't know how to shower? And people actually get paid to compose a full page of instructions?

Yeah, I'll just use some of your fancy soap, use contaminated water from the river, dry off with a muddy towel I found by the river, and come in smelling like a hillbilly. And you said no drinking. Is that just water? So I can have my 12-pak of Billy Bob's beer before I show up?

Yes, call me Mr. Snarky, I just can't help it sometimes.:wave-hello:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Alright, just one more. Maybe I have a guilty conscience but every time I open HTF, there's that little red alert message in the upper right. My first thought is, "Oh no, what have I done now". Only got in trouble once a few years ago, I behave, mind my manners, follow the rules. But it's always lurking in the back of my mind, "Who did I piss off now" and the mods will step in and banish me.

I'm annoying myself. I've become a thread hog, so officially signing off for a few days, maybe.:wub:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll

Wow! Being from Canada myself, I still call a sofa a chesterfield! Sometimes, after drinking a mickey, I go to the washroom and dry my hands with a serviette.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Being from Canada myself, I still call a sofa a chesterfield! Sometimes, after drinking a mickey, I go to the washroom and dry my hands with a serviette.

I live maybe 100 miles from Canada. I've never heard any of those terms used, except for the mickey.

And to add to the annoying part, just as I typed the word mickey, my screen flipped totally sideways. Had to haul out a mouse, learned how to fix this after many tries, so pretty quick now. Go into settings, display, and reset to landscape. Of course doing this with the laptop turned sideways in some goofy flipped portrait mode. I'm so sick of MS, or maybe Toshiba, not sure who to blame.

Anyhow, I'm now going to the washroom, clean my hands before I smash my laptop, and use a small hand towel. :D

Not to be a snarky snob, but a serviette is a napkin, more suited for use at the dinner table. Studied French for two years, that's actually the basis for the word. Just slap me if I'm wrong. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I live maybe 100 miles from Canada. I've never heard any of those terms used, except for the mickey.

And to add to the annoying part, just as I typed the word mickey, my screen flipped totally sideways. Had to haul out a mouse, learned how to fix this after many tries, so pretty quick now. Go into settings, display, and reset to landscape. Of course doing this with the laptop turned sideways in some goofy flipped portrait mode. I'm so sick of MS, or maybe Toshiba, not sure who to blame.

Anyhow, I'm now going to the washroom, clean my hands before I smash my laptop, and use a small hand towel. :D

Not to be a snarky snob, but a serviette is a napkin, more suited for use at the dinner table. Studied French for two years, that's actually the basis for the word. Just slap me if I'm wrong. :)

Canada is a regional country just like yours with regional language variations. It is quite a bit larger than the US with 1/10 of your population in large cities and sometimes isolated pockets.
My family came from northern Ontario and moved before I was born to just across the border from Detroit. The words I used were and still are everyday speech for me and my circle. (I know about serviette by the way, but was just trying to make a point in a comic way).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Canada is a regional country just like yours with regional language variations. It is quite a bit larger than the US with 1/10 of your population in large cities and sometimes isolated pockets.
My family came from northern Ontario and moved before I was born to just across the border from Detroit. The words I used were and still are everyday speech for me and my circle. (I know about serviette by the way, but was just trying to make a point in a comic way).

You understand of course that I was just kidding.

Been to Vancouver several times, wonderful place, but have never seen other areas of the country. And now, I have to get my passport renewed :(

Last time I was there, kind of funny looking back on it now. Drove right into Canada, no problem. Coming back to the US, apparently not a good day for white guys with dark hair, wearing sunglasses and driving red cars. The border guards literally took my car apart, removed the door panels, took out the seats, stripped the trunk, brought out the dogs, etc. They did re-install everything. After waiting about four hours, they just said "Oops, sorry, you're free to go". Let's just say I was not happy.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You understand of course that I was just kidding.

Been to Vancouver several times, wonderful place, but have never seen other areas of the country. And now, I have to get my passport renewed :(

Last time I was there, kind of funny looking back on it now. Drove right into Canada, no problem. Coming back to the US, apparently not a good day for white guys with dark hair, wearing sunglasses and driving red cars. The border guards literally took my car apart, removed the door panels, took out the seats, stripped the trunk, brought out the dogs, etc. They did re-install everything. After waiting about four hours, they just said "Oops, sorry, you're free to go". Let's just say I was not happy.

Since Canada was born it was just a matter of showing your birth certificate for Canadians to cross into the USA. My sister who is from Chicago used to just say "I Am An American". The same was true for Americans coming here. Then 911 happened.
In the early months after the attack there was an absolutely false rumour that the hijackers had come from Canada. This was proven incorrect time and time again. American politicians suddenly passed laws that Canadians had to have a passport to go to the US for the first time.
Many Americans living in the South also mis-interpreted troubles with Mexico as being the situation in all countries outside their own and despite having "the largest undefended border in the world" with no trouble for 125 years, restrictions were applied. In retaliation our government imposed pass ports on Americans.
Many many Americans ignorant of this were turned away at the border. Casual tourism plunged in places like Niagara Falls. It is just now getting back to what it was.
Our great fear of this US election is out of ignorance again, we will also get a wall.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

Me family has been saying Porridge since I was a wee lad. :) It's like TJPC said, people say words as their close family does.

I'm annoyed that I never bought a Beatles CD before now. Sgt. Peppers is an amazing album!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
All of The Beatles records are good but my favorite is Revolver because it's a good blend of their 'old' style and their more psychedelic stuff.

I bought both Peppers and Revolver recently and both are great but I prefer Peppers. I'm planning on getting all of their later CDs and the red 1962-1966 CD for their early songs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My favorite Beatles albums are Please Please Me, A Hard Day's Night and Help!.

I learned a Chesterfield was a sofa by reading Douglas Adams novels in jr high.

Something which really annoys me is other peoples' bratty kids.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think Abbey Road is probably my favorite Beatles disc. I actually never bought any Beatles CDs until the reissues just a few years ago, although I did have one compilation album on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks