What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Waiting and waiting for the new much ballyhooed Windows 10 update, which finally shows up on my system a full week later. The real fun part is the timing in which I discover this, right after having read an article about users who discovered after everything seemed OK after they updated that their systems wouldn't subsequently boot up!

Mine worked out OK except....I don't know if it WAS the much ballyhooed "August 2" Windows 10 update, or not, as things don't appear to be any different with my setup? That's what I find to be the real annoying aspect of Windows 10 updates - with the blanket "Cumulative Update" moniker, combined with the staggered roll outs, it's really hard to know sometimes! Man, Microsoft's stupid setup can leave one feeling like such a Grade A moron, at times! :P

CHEERS! :)
Well, as it turns out, it wasn't! As it turns out, it was some sort of cumulative update that all Windows platforms got, even Windows XP, which isn't even supposed to get any updates some 4 years after all support for it had supposedly expired; and of course, they didn't bother to announce it, which to me is bloody inconsiderate in this case, considering it dropped in the midst of the massive update that many users (Myself included!) were still waiting for! This is what sucks so bad regarding Microsoft being so bloody tight lipped about their updates, these days! How in the f*ck is anyone supposed to know what's what with these? :P

Anyway, after having finally updated with the actual Windows 10 Version 1607 build from August 2, the following is what happened when I decided to put it to the reboot test (As originally posted in the Windows 10 News and User discussion Topic):

OK, I've just come off a seriously scary 15 minutes!

Remembering reading that some users ran into serious issues upon rebooting their PCs after an apparently successful update, I decided to put that to the test.

Power Button / Restart / Acer Explore Logo / Welcome Screen / Seemingly Endless Spinning Circle - WTF?!!?

In all my time with Windows 8 and 10, I had never experienced any delay between the welcome and login screens! Before and after these yes, but never in between them!

After 12 - 15 minutes, during which frantic searching on my mobile failed to uncover anything
about this issue, I decided to take a chance and power down, in the hopes that by some strange quirk, something had simply failed to load properly with that particular boot. Thankfully, my subsequent attempt in getting to the login screen worked, and everything seems to be up and running now, but sheesh, what a bloody effing scare that was!

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I agree with you that programmes are very overpriced and with little content. I never buy them anymore. Even going to the theatre used to be very cheap and I would often go to see 8 shows a week when I was in New York visiting. Now it has become so expensive that I no longer go no matter how desperate that I am to see a show. Nowadays one also has to endure mikes hanging down the side of the actors faces and amplified music often coming from side speakers. Very annoying if you just happen to sit on the side of the theatre. Whatever happened to actors knowing how to project their voices without wearing those dreaded facial microphones? This is another reason that I no longer visit live theater. I became sick of having to enquire first if the cast had facial microphones. No director should allow them as it drives customers away. Actors who cannot project their voices should change jobs. One doesn't want to see actors wearing facial microphones.It is the ultimate in bad taste as regards seeing a live performance. They were never allowed in the numerous stage shows that I have appeared in.

I remember just a few years ago when I took my son to see Spider-Man. I reaaaaally thought long and hard about dropping $165/seat, but that was 5th row dead center, and it was my son's first show, so in the end I splurged. This summer, we were back in NYC, and I was shocked to find that the cheap seats at a lot of shows cost around that much!

Side note: Matthew James Thomas, who played Spidey in matinees, not only wore a mic, but actually adjusted it once while singing! (To be fair, I might not have noticed if I wasn't sitting less than 10 feet away. :) )

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
About 2:00 this morning, I rolled over in bed and right into a big puddle of dog vomit. Had to launder the sheets and comforter which had already been laundered yesterday as well as take a quick shower to get it out of my beard and hair and off my shoulder and side. I still feel like I'm wearing some of it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
About 2:00 this morning, I rolled over in bed and right into a big puddle of dog vomit. Had to launder the sheets and comforter which had already been laundered yesterday as well as take a quick shower to get it out of my beard and hair and off my shoulder and side. I still feel like I'm wearing some of it.
And I thought my night sucked, but it was merely dealing with a stupid Microsoft generated issue. That had to have been a really nasty surprise Clint, and I hope your Dog is feeling better, also.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Tony. I've dealt with sick dogs before but that was a first for me. I took her to the vet today because she was still vomiting and running a little fever and she got some shots for nausea and they put a bag of fluids in her. She's been layin around half stoned all day since.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I couldn't take my camera to a concert I just went to because all of my re-chargeable batteries were gone, apparently the kids threw them away went they ran out of juice.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks Tony. I've dealt with sick dogs before but that was a first for me. I took her to the vet today because she was still vomiting and running a little fever and she got some shots for nausea and they put a bag of fluids in her. She's been layin around half stoned all day since.
I just saw your post, Clinton. Hope she's feeling better today?

Stan

Senior HTF Member

My dog did that last week, thankfully on the carpet, not me :eek:. Cleaned it all up before she re-ingested it (dogs can be so gross).

She wasn't sick, just turned out to be this really rich, fancy food some friends gave me. Four more containers, but no way, they'll be deposited in the trash this week.

Considering she eats absolutely everything in sight I wasn't worried. She had a carrot yesterday, some salad, pasta, loves cheese crackers. Dropped a raw egg on the floor last week, no need to clean up, she took care of everything. Even have a shrub in the back-yard, she just chows down like it's a salad. Not one of those upset stomach things where they eat grass and barf, she just likes it and has never had a problem.

Her favorites are basic doggie treats, like raw beef bones, the occasional beef shank, etc. so that I feel okay with. She sounds like a T-Rex eating, yet she's got perfect teeth, so I'm happy.

But I have to watch her very carefully and have learned to keep food way back from the edge of the counter. She's walked off with containers of sour cream, yoghurt, cottage cheese, butter, you name it. Don't dare leave the room with a glass of beer on the table, she knows it's there, just watching and waiting for me to walk away. Kind of the like that line from Jurassic Park about the velociraptor, "Clever girl". Come back and it's half gone.:huh:

I bought a waterproof mattress cover years ago, just in case there were problems like you mentioned, so if she ever does do something in the bed, no permanent damage.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My parents swear their Yorkies are part velociraptor because of their incredible problem solving skills. I think they're part crow. A few years ago, our Yorkie (the one who is currently making a good recovery from whatever was ailing her this past weekend) swiped a burrito off my plate on the coffee table when I got up to fetch a beer.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My parents swear their Yorkies are part velociraptor because of their incredible problem solving skills. I think they're part crow. A few years ago, our Yorkie (the one who is currently making a good recovery from whatever was ailing her this past weekend) swiped a burrito off my plate on the coffee table when I got up to fetch a beer.

A 70 lb. black lab could probably handle a burrito, but a little teeny Yorkie? Yikes. :laugh:

But even these fancy, froo froo dogs always revert back to their original non-super bred instincts. Deep inside they're just dogs.

To keep this post honest, um.... They're annoying? :rolleyes:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Instead of what annoys you, I wish this thread was called what makes you "fit to be tied"!
We can't wait for school to start again.
It has been very hot here in southern Ontario. We go for a 40 min. walk about 9 p.m. around our quiet suburban neighbourhood when it is finally cool enough. We keep a low profile, and live in a very low crime area.
Despite this, about once a week a car filled with teenagers drives by us, and as they do do so, one of them screams. As we jump out of our skins, we can hear them laughing their heads off. Is it really that fun to scare two quiet senior citizens? Are they really that warped?
As far as I can tell it is never the same group. Tonight was the worst incident. The didn't just shout, they threw something! I was hit in the face, and ended up with a bloody lip. Again we heard the manical laughter. I wish I had had a hand grenade with me!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Instead of what annoys you, I wish this thread was called what makes you "fit to be tied"!
It has been very hot here in southern Ontario. We go for a 40 min. walk about 9 p.m. around our quiet suburban neighbourhood when it is finally cool enough. We keep a low profile, and live in a very low crime area.
Despite this, about once a week a car filled with teenagers drives by us, and as they do do so, one of them screams. As we jump out of our skins, we can hear them laughing their heads off. Is it really that fun to scare two quiet senior citizens? Are they really that warped?
As far as I can tell it is never the same group. Tonight was the worst incident. The didn't just shout, they threw something! I was hit in the face, and ended up with a bloody lip. Again we heard the manical laughter. I wish I had had a hand grenade with me!

Bring raw eggs to toss in their faces next time. I hate punks. May sound like some ridiculous crime drama, but get their license plate and the police can track them down. Maybe just young kids playing around, but time for an "etiquette lesson".

Then again, if you've got really good aim, carry a gun, maybe shoot out a rear tire as the twits try and get away.

Not condoning violence, I don't own a gun, but the world has changed a lot in the past few years.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not big on "These kids today..." but that's disgusting. I'm sure everyone did rude or dumb stuff when they were young but it takes a real asshole or a real moron to hurt someone who is doing nothing. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they're probably not bad people and hurting someone wasn't their intent but since it's an obvious possibility, they should have some sense and not toss something from a car at someone.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not big on "These kids today..." but that's disgusting. I'm sure everyone did rude or dumb stuff when they were young but it takes a real asshole or a real moron to hurt someone who is doing nothing. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they're probably not bad people and hurting someone wasn't their intent but since it's an obvious possibility, they should have some sense and not toss something from a car at someone.

Of course all of us did stupid things in our younger years. But physical harm to somebody was never part of the equation.

There just seems to be a huge disconnect with younger people now. They don't care.

Had one of these punks come up behind me while I was playing a video game a few years ago. Part of a bowling league (sad I know), but he came up behind me, grabbed me and pretended to slice my throat and said "Stan, you're dead".

I was basically a video game character, kid had no idea how incredibly serious that action really was. I probably should have elbowed him in the face, turned around and decked him. These younger kids just aren't part of reality anymore.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron

Sorry that has happened to you, people do shitty things. I've gone for walks and have people yell stuff but never had anything thrown at me. I don't know what you can do besides file a police report, since they did throw something that caused bodily harm.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Sorry that has happened to you, people do shitty things. I've gone for walks and have people yell stuff but never had anything thrown at me. I don't know what you can do besides file a police report, since they did throw something that caused bodily harm.

Thanks for the sympathy. That is what is so annoying, there is basically nothing that can be done except hope for Karma to get them. All this usually dies down when summer is over, but it does make you lose faith I humanity b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks