JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm finally embarking on the task of scanning any of my film photography that I want to archive and/or print. Before I really got going, I realized I need a better monitor(s). It kind of surprises me that monitors don't seem to be much of a topic here. After considering my priorities, I got a Dell U2412 and was so impressed with it, I decided to also try the U2410. I'm curious what others here are using. I'll just say, if you are dealing with images without a monitor of this caliber, you are making a big mistake.

The U2410 just arrived and I only hooked it up a few minutes ago. Very impressive. I got it for $360, it is 1980x1200 and displays 1.07 billion colors. In the range of 96-98% of Adobe RGB gamut. Reviews all seem to complain about dithering, but that was cured with a subsequent FW update.

What are others using?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will add, both these monitors are insanely bright. I ended up with the 2412 brightness set to 12 and right now I have the 2410 set to 0. Yeah, 0.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,

Those Dell monitors get excellent reviews for photo editing. I am using a Samsung SyncMaster P2250 monitor that I have been very happy with, but once this monitor (or the cheap monitor on my wife's PC) needs to be replaced I plan on getting a Dell. I calibrate using the Spyder Express 3 calibration tool.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've had a day with the Dell U2410 and if you've read complaints online, it is definitely a little quirky. I have it connected to a 2012 Mac Mini Quad Core and at first used an HDMI to DVI cable. The colors were calibrating well, but the brightness was blistering. I ended up with the brightness set to 0 and contrast at 45, which is very odd. Also, it never went to sleep, which is a major problem. It would just show a menu saying no DVI cable was connected. Others have had the same problem and Dell flatly refuses to address any problems from a customer using a Mac. So, I tried an HDMI to HDMI cable, but with it the colors were clearly wonky. The monitor would go to sleep but I didn't even want to deal with the color issues. So, I figured a Mini DisplayPort to DisplaPort cable was my best bet. The base colors are clearly better and it now goes to sleep. One remaining weird thing is that the computer won't wake back up when I hit a key on the keyboard, like it did before. Part of the problem might be because I have the keyboard connected to a hub rather than directly to the computer. It's better not to do that, but it had been working. Tapping the power button works, though.

I hope this monitor is worth all the hassle.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One more thing I've discovered about the Dell U2410 is that you NEVER want to judge an image or calibrate it after it has been off or asleep. It does NOT have LED backlighting and it takes at least 10 minutes to warm up. I'm kind of amazed how much the color shifts in that time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm reviving this thread as I'm looking to update my Mac desktop with the new Mini. I was looking at the BenQ PD3200U, but was hesitating due to the price and physical size, as well as questioning the need for 4K. I have a 5K iMac at work, and I don't know if I'm totally sold on ultra resolution for photo editing, especially at home. The 4K/5K is nice for video editing for the screen real estate though, but I don't do video editing at home.

So now I'm looking at the BenQ SW2700, as one that may be a better fit as far as size, resolution, and the addition of Adobe RGB color. I know John and Scott have been using Dell Ultrasharps, but part of my decision making is availability on Best Buy so I can take advantage of their financing programs, and there aren't many Ultrasharp option there currently.

Thoughts?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cameron, the 27" Benq you are looking at seems to be their equivalent of the Dell I added since posting in this thread. I like it a lot better than the 2410 I posted about here. Personally, I'd take AdobeRGB over 4K and larger size. Even the 27" is so large, that when I'm judging a photo, I tend to roll my chair back a bit to look at the entire image. The dot pitch is already a little small for regular computer use, and I'm guessing the 32" 4K is an even smaller pitch.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Cameron,

I almost bought the Benq SW2700 a couple years back myself, but ended up splurging for an NEC that was on special sale from B&H instead (though it probably still cost ~2x as much w/ both on sale) -- whichever you pick, definitely look for a good holiday shopping sale price especially given the timing.

The Benq does look very good (and I guess good enough that Benq still hasn't replaced it so far)... though I do recall seeing some reviews/comments about some bit of QC issue w/ it re: uniformity and such that you'll probably want to check on if you buy one -- seems not too uncommon for many such monitors at those price ranges. That was part of the reason I ended up splurging on the NEC.

For myself, I find the 27" QHD size-and-rez to be just about perfect for home use as well...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks