What's new

What about a Blu of Ryans Daughter (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
VUDU...Once it is purchased it is yours ...and it is streamed whenever you want to watch it. Ryan's Daughter being in 70mm...there is virtually no grain.
Yes I know the story is slight ( I've watched it many times and never been bored). .. the visuals are so stunning and beautiful , the never been equaled storm sequence ( no CGI and quick cut editing) and one of Robert Mitchum's best performances. It won 2 Oscars...Best Supporting Actor and Cinematography. I once hope WB releases it on Blu Ray.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Some more info here for you Oliver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vudu Apparently film grain is an imperfection that they will try to preserve. :D
We are sooo lucky :DI saw some comparisons to Blu-ray on another forum and sometimes Vudu HDX comes quite close which could be considered an achievement but if I need to rely on the speed of my internet connection to get the best possible quality then I am not a fan - at least I would want to be able to download the movies I purchased but apparently most users of streaming services don't care for that.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ken Koc said:
VUDU...Once it is purchased it is yours ...and it is streamed whenever you want to watch it. Ryan's Daughter being in 70mm...there is virtually no grain.Yes I know the story is slight ( I've watched it many times and never been bored). .. the visuals are so stunning and beautiful , the never been equaled storm sequence ( no CGI and quick cut editing) and one of Robert Mitchum's best performances. It won 2 Oscars...Best Supporting Actor and Cinematography. I once hope WB releases it on Blu Ray.
I did not read about any recent work being done on Ryan's Daughter so I am astonished that it should look so good - I might try to watch a small sample to get an idea of its quality.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
Still amazed this was re-rated R. Nothing says prudish like the MPAA.
I can't remember anything that explicit in the film, perhaps a sex scene but that would be very tame by today's standards.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There are 2 sex scenes; one clothed, and one showing one breast. Of course, no one can explain the inner workings of the MPAA. I suspect MGM thought that by resubmitting, they would get a PG-13. Around the same time, Warner submitted the Director's Cut of The Wild Bunch for rating and got an NC-17, but successfully appealed it to an R.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
There are 2 sex scenes; one clothed, and one showing one breast. Of course, no one can explain the inner workings of the MPAA. I suspect MGM thought that by resubmitting, they would get a PG-13. Around the same time, Warner submitted the Director's Cut of The Wild Bunch for rating and got an NC-17, but successfully appealed it to an R.
I think the last dvd in the UK was a 15 certificate, i suspect it would get a 12 certificate today.

John Skoda

Second Unit
This movie is almost never shown these days, but I went to the AFI theater here in Silver Spring, MD, yesterday to see a real 70mm print of RYAN'S DAUGHTER. Never thought I'd ever get a chance to see this in 70mm.The print looked generally pretty good, but the really odd thing is the print had Swedish subtitles! This was a surprise to AFI, too, but that was apparently the only 70mm print they could get. That doesn't speak well for the popularity of this title.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
John Skoda said:
This movie is almost never shown these days, but I went to the AFI theater here in Silver Spring, MD, yesterday to see a real 70mm print of RYAN'S DAUGHTER. Never thought I'd ever get a chance to see this in 70mm.The print looked generally pretty good, but the really odd thing is the print had Swedish subtitles! This was a surprise to AFI, too, but that was apparently the only 70mm print they could get. That doesn't speak well for the popularity of this title.
This is to my knowledge the best of the remaining vintage prints, it is probably the one with slight focus issues but colors that still look very good.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
cinerama10 said:
"FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE fell badly at the box office.It was ,in my opinion,one of the most tedious 70mm films that I ever saw."
Then you must of missed "Circus World" I recently watched this on YouTube and it is the real dog among 1960s roadshow films. It's completely free of entertainment. By the way the transfer on YouTube is beautiful.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
OliverK said:
This is to my knowledge the best of the remaining vintage prints, it is probably the one with slight focus issues but colors that still look very good.
Yes, I saw this too at the AFI and thought the focus issue may have been softness from generational loss.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Panavision70 said:
Then you must of missed "Circus World" I recently watched this on YouTube and it is the real dog among 1960s roadshow films. It's completely free of entertainment. By the way the transfer on YouTube is beautiful.
I never saw CIRCUS WORLD in 70mm as it did not get a 70mm release in my city. I did see it however in Panavision and it was crap. I did see 175 different feature films in 70mm.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
Yes, I saw this too at the AFI and thought the focus issue may have been softness from generational loss.
These prints were struck from the camera negative so this is no issue of generational loss. Actually the print was warped and cannot brought into focus properly at least not from what I heard from the three venues where I know it was screened recently. The same archive where this comes from also has an otherwise very good looking print of Cheyenne Autmun with the same issue.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
Stephen_J_H said:
Robert Mitchum shows both his breasts.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Remembering the first time I saw RYAN'S DAUGHTER occasions memories of The Empire Leicester Square.

Spending a few hours watching it, and I agree that the current DVD is superb, is certainly preferable to having been involved. As a link to a story I've just posted in the ON THE BEACH thread I met the great Charles Parker (makeup) and Ramon Gow (hair) in Vienna and their recollections were far from fond.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Panavision70 said:
The European Blu-ray disc is superb too. I disagree that Circus World is "completely free of entertainment" although I accept the film is less than perfect. Any film with John Wayne, Rita Hayworth and Claudia Cardinale is worth watching.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
This was the same print that screened at Bradford a few years ago and it was better than the 70mm sepmagprint that screened on the Southbank in London a few years ago.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
This was the same print that screened at Bradford a few years ago and it was better than the 70mm sepmagprint that screened on the Southbank in London a few years ago.
The colors and overall look of the print are fantastic and despite its issues it gives those of us who are (too) late to the 70mm party an idea what people were seeing at the premiere - a fantastic picture quality that to this day has not been surpassed in commercial cinemas.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I may be in the minority, but I believe THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE to be a very intelligent and finely acted epic, expertly directed by Anthony Mann. The re-creation of the Roman Forum is the most spectacular I have ever seen (bigger, in fact, than the original) and the performances by actors such as James Mason, Alec Guiness and Christopher Plummer are compelling.
I recall seeing GLADIATOR for the first time and realizing it was a (lacklustre, simplified) remake and wishing I was viewing FALL OF... on the big screen instead. (A cinema in Melbourne attempted to play a season of this movie about 14 years ago and ran into difficulty obtaining a print, thus it never happened). I can only attribute the box office failure of FALL.. due to the public tiring of epics set in the ancient world after 15 years or so (ie. from SAMSON AND DELILAH to CLEOPATRA).
RYAN'S DAUGHTER, a huge, long-running hit in Australia, would look great on Blu Ray. I'm assuming we all know that it's MADAME BOVARY set in WWI Ireland as Lean didn't want to remake BOVARY until Robert Bolt came up with the idea of setting it against the backdrop of war (like DOCTOR ZHIVAGO)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks