What’s the most imaginative or bizarre video game you’ve ever played?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sev_Erouston, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Sev_Erouston

Sev_Erouston Agent

I really enjoy the really creative and unusual games like Munch’s Oddysee, but I can’t think of very many, so that’s probably the best one I’ve seen. I’d like to know if there are other games like that.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Well the whole PaRappa series is a bit bizarre.

Fear Effect have a unique visual style and an awful lot of sexual references, which were really good in the context of the game.

MDK2 was pretty unique in it's style.

Frequency is also a new spin on the music-creation genre, and it has tons of bright, flashing colors and a special code to make the graphics even more trippy.

But Conker's Bad Fur Day has got to be the most out-of-place videogame within the last generation or two of games. It's dirty, raunchy, and the character have the whole Rare "kiddie" look to them, but they're NOTHING like other Rare characters.

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Tempest and Qix were very abstract. And I always thought Burgertime was endearingly weird, with making those giant hamburgers by running over the pieces and all those condiments chasing after you (my mom and sister used to laugh hysterically at the sight of the sausage chasing your guy).

Oh, and shouldn't forget Q-Bert either. I think games were a lot stranger in the old days.

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Hmmmm, I'd say Super Mario Bros 2 and Tempest 2k. Those ultra-mello bonus levels in T2k are nutty!!!

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Toe Jam and Earl for Sega Genesis.

6. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

I'd have to go with Seaman for the Dreamcast. Very bizzare indeed and certainly imaginative.

Kip

7. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Vib Ribbon on the PlayStation

I personally can't wait on Psychonauts!

9. Jon W H

I had a feeling you couldn't. [​IMG]

10. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Grim Fandango. In fact, the whole Lucasarts series falls under the imaginative banner. But Grim Fandango most certainly (if you liked Munch, you have to check it out. It's different, that's for sure, but they have things in common-it's funny, has great characters...) I can't wait till Psychonauts either!

Seaman, as was said before, was pretty bizarre. If I had it to do over, I don't know that I'd buy it (too tedious, not fun enough), but it deserves some kudos for being different.

All right, someone jog my memory-I remember playing the demo to a game in which you played a bandaged patient who wakes up in a mental institution. Probably came out around '98. I remember all the reviews saying it was a pretty messed up game, and the demo was as well.

11. Jon W H

Ike, you wouldn't be talking about Origin's Bioforge, would you? I was just thinking about that game yesterday, wishing it would be re-made for the consoles.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'll always have a soft spot for Attack Of The Mutant Penguins on the Jaguar. Any game that involves smacking evil penguins wearing Halloween costumes with a frying pan, and then watching the "bad" penguins get into fights with good penguins, complete with cartoon cloud, is going to leave an impression.

Of course, last night my brother and I were playing Tempest 3000. I like T2K better, but both are just utterly surreal gaming experiences - we call it "zen gaming", because by a certain point you really can't tell what's happening on-screen, and just have to go by instinct.

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

REZ. Trippy and sometimes bizarre. But overall a mindtrip.

ICO. The most imaginative adventure since Heart of Darkness.

Mario 64. Platformers can be 3D.

14. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

No, Jon, that's not the game I was thinking about. It was from a sort of isometric perspective, and in the demo, the asylum had a cavernous drop, with a guard tower in the middle. I believe it also had a large angel statue. Man, this is killing me not remembering the name.
    Edit: Got it-Sanitarium. After all this fuss, maybe I should try to play it? [​IMG]

15. Jon W H

Ike, go for it! [​IMG]
    I remember hearing about that one.

16. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'd say A Boy and His Blob. I'd love to see a modern version of the game. Legendary Wings was pretty cool as well.

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I can't remember the name, but there was a game for PCs which preceeded Skull Monkeys. The main character Klayman was the same. I used to have it about 6 years ago and it was truely bizarre.

18. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Clinton, the game was The Neverhood. Never played it, but remember the name.
    I give a seconding to A Boy & His Blob. That game was frustrating as hell, but PURE genius. I loved every minute I played it.
    Hmm, others? The cyberspace portions of System Shock. The whole game is immersive, but the cyberspace is a brilliant, brilliant original concept and utterly simple. Genius.
    SimGolf. It's imaginative, in that somebody actually thought they could make a fun game based on golf course management. That they succeeded wildly is a bonus unto itself [​IMG].

19. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Seaman
    REZ
    JSR

20. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Super Mario Brothers 2 for NES and Grim Fandango for the PC. grim was pretty original, and smb2? something about the masks made it pretty creepy. and Alice for the PC is pretty strange as well, but i think thats the idea they were going for.

CJ