What's new

Wharfedale Speakers at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

As an owner of Wharfdale's Diamond series speakers I can deifnitely say that they sound a lot better after about 50+ hours of break in. I don't know if this holds true with the Zaldek's as well. I have not heard the Zaldek's myslef but am also curious how they compare to the Diamond series. For the price, the Diamonds can't be beat. Isn't BB supposed to carry them as well? If so, it will be very nice to see how the two compare.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Mike
Don't make a decision on them to quick, souds like your going to take some time and do some comparing....Cool.
Frist I must make it clear, that I have not heard the line you purchased and are currently demoing.
Wharf is generaly very good with their spec rating for freq responce, un-like some brands that stretch things just a little. Very good chance that they will change "slightly" in sound after 50+ hours.
Stands are a VERY big recommendation to get them of the floor. There is no doubt that where you had them (on the floor) was coloring the sound.
I am certainly NOT saying, that, definitly with time, placement, and stands they will be the bomb, but I think you will certainly notice a difference in sound. More than likely to the good.
Good enough to keep and beat out your other price point contenders, well only you can make that call.
As you make note, you/we must consider the price point here also. 229.00 less 50.00 you say, well what can you by for that off the shelf?
Lots'a stuff, yes. How much better are they??,,,, I guess the person doing the comparision can only make this call.
We all do seem to like different things when it comes to sound. There really is no one single speaker model/brand that suites us all.
Nothing you wrote surprised me much except the volume problem, or should say, the point you made of how hard you had to push the receiver to get the volume you wanted.
Did you measure that yet, just what spl you where reaching, what distance your taking the measurment from, and the size of the room your filling.
Please do so, if possible....A freq sweep would be interesting, set to large or full range of course.
Also what speakers (prior) were you running to compare the volume knob position and spl you wanted to reach???
How big is the difference in the volume knob position when both sets of speakers are compared doing the same spl on the same material in the same room?
If you do have another pair of speaks (bookshelf or other) what is their supposed sensitivity?
I am NOT defending Wharf, only interested in all the facts of your listening/testing experience. Aside from "NOT" knowing the the room size, seating position distance, and "spl levels" you where achiving, I think your first report was very helpfull!
The Center is BIG and clear according to you, to big for you you said, but others may find this good for them with their giant Big Screens.
Would be nice to see another pair of price comparable bookshelfs compared (in your room) directly with the Wharfs. Measurements would be very helpfull if you are able to pull this off.
Definitly get them off the ground tho...;)
Looking forward to more of your take and information, along with others that said they have some on the way....
Regards
Geoff

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys.. couple of questions about these speakers:
1.) it seems like some of you guys are using THESE as the mains... my inital thought was THESE should be the mains. Am I confused here, should THESE be used for the rears?? Sorry for the dumb questions.. but I'm new at this. (I'll be running a 5.1 setup)
2.) it looks like the 5 piece set up (2 mains, these 2 REARs plus the center) would be $529) - you can get the Diamond series 5 speaker set up for $500 from wildwestelectronics. Which is the better value. What would the differences be??
3.) what type of connections do the respective wharfedale lines use??THESE

StuartL

Auditioning
I have three sets of Wharfedale Saphire II speakers coupled with Velodyne subs, and am very pleased with the clarity and dynamics.
If these new speakers sound as good as the old Saphire series, then I would definately recommend them.

/Stu

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dom

Your point on what seems logical to buy and set up according to size is, well logical.

But many have a number of things to deal with, speaker size constraints, room size & layout, $$$$ to work with, etc.

There is no real RIGHT way to do it as far as speaker size goes.

Something might be better or have an advatage over another, but what works well in one room may not work so well in another when speaking to speakers and their size.
There are many different ways of going about it and people select what they select for many different reason.
In our main room we run all towers front and surrounds, one center, 2 bookshelf for the rear back, and 3 DIY subs.
In the bedroom it's much different.
Their we run much smaller towers up front 37", a center, bookshelfs on stands for surrounds, 1-DIY sub and no rear center or double back channel.
This is an all Wharfedale Oak Emerald-MKIV room as far as the speakers go.

Just look at the many different set ups people have here. A very diverse selection of speaker systems and speaker sizes in the many set ups. Everything from tiny cubes to 8-ft towers and everything in between.

Allot of choices out their in speaker sizes and ways to go about implamenting them in your room. There are a ~{few rules that should not be broke}~ and if you go to the basics area, there are some good reads on these things along with proper set up/calibration help information

Lets try to keep this thread on it's topic, which is the new Zaldek line by Whafedale sold threw Best Buy.

As you have already probley found, there is much to read and tons of information at this forum. Great people here who love to help others "and newbies" get started into it, or help with any problem one may have.

Enjoy the site and welcome to HTF.

Regards
Geoff

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff,
Thanks for the info, and yes, I've aleady spent HOURS reading the "Basics" section... However, the biggest constraint for me is the budget right now.
To stay on topic, I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the setup I posted above. I believe getting the 5 Wharfedale's for $529 with 0% for a year (at least) is a great deal, especially for a beginner like myself. The only other piece I will need is a subwoofer, which I'll be asking about shortly I'm sure. Not sure if I want to drop ~$600 on an SVS.. but that's for another thread and another time.
Thanks for the help.
Dom :emoji_thumbsup:

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
All,
Thanks for the replies and feedback. Trust me I am no big spender on home theater equipment, but I will tell you that I will try my hardest to get the best sound I am expecting when I am on an budget.
Sorry I do not have an SPL meter. Maybe some of the guys in Austin meets can help me out with that. I know they are more serious when it comes to theater and sound :) .
I asked my wife on the phone to please play the speakers all day when I am at work so there can be some work in on the voice coils etc. So when I can home today I did some adjustments,,, like for example took the speakers off the floor and moved them more away from the wall (like 2 feet) I must say it did improve but not enough for my ears and where I want it.
I did how-ever settle for some speakers that I bought today that I am overly expressed and hyped about and love it. And I am sure I might get slammed for this but I went with YAMAHA, but also I really do not seen many people talk about Yamis so what the heck I'll be different :) . Yamaha sounded sooooo nice the pitch and bass was very clean. I did an side by side on both Yami and Zaldek and no contest. It also IMHO looks better with my setup. Music was excellent and movies in DTS kick butt!
Did not have to crank the volume up hard to make these puppies rock. I stayed around volume control of -26 to -21 . Any more then that these suckers screamed. I took some snap shots to share with you all. As you look to the right on one of the pics with a full snapshot of my theater system you well see that the Zaldeks are packed up and ready to get my refund. Oh here are the pics. let me know what you guys think of the Yami setup?
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hifi_home...t+Hifi&.view=t

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Mike
I'm glad you found something you like, but have a few question.
What is the sensitivity rating of the Yammi towers?
What did you give for the towers as referance to the Wharfs, if you don't mind telling?
What I find strange is the Wharfs while maybe not sounding good, or not good to you, is a supposed Horn Loaded Mid and Tweet. I dont remember off hand what the sensitivity rating was for "your model", but having to turn them up that high on the receiver to get any real volume dosen't make sence.
Did the Zaldek Center require you to turn the volume down DOWN in the receivers settings to match the output, or was it just as diffucult to drive as the bookshelfs?
Not being their and only knowing what you have written,,,, something just dosn't jive spl wise.
At 90db-Zaldek bookshelf, can't remember sensitivity, those should have been screeming way before your receiver was cranked just short of wide open.
Now if you don't care for the sound, you don't care for the sound. Can totally understand that, but you say the Yammies screem with much less wattage so something is wacked here.
Maybe you received a bad set of Zaldeks, or actual sensitivity is lower than rated, or got your wires crossed, or a frayed - or + strand touching some where at the speakers or receiver.
Just seems very strange. Most Wharf speakers are rated at or below ther actual sensitivity. At least the 2 lines that I have actually see heard and run.
I'm sure you checked all these variables on wiring, right?
And the center, again did it play louder easier than the bookies?
I am just trying to understand why a speaker that designed to DRIVE EASY, would be so tuff to get spl out of....Weird
I apoligize for all the questions but trying to get a grip on this.
And you have to get an spl meter and set up disc, or where going to have to come and take your stuff.
It's manditory you know..:D
Regards
Geoff

DonJ

Second Unit
Your system looks very nice, the Yamaha was my main contender until I found Paradigm, but the the thing I would look at is your speaker placement, right next to the TV and against the wall is probably not the optimal placement for them. Having them that 'boxed' in will add coloration to the sound. Have fun with your new system.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well Bo,

I guess allot of people on this forum own shit.... I hope that was ment in phun....

Mike
Don makes a very good point on your speaker placement, but one thing at a time for me.
Still curious about the spl/wattage problem with the Horn loaded, supposed easy to drive Z's....And what the Yammies sensitivity is rated at opposed to the Z's...

Geoff

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
One more question...

Can anybody make an educated guess as to how these Zaldek's would compare to the Diamond series?? They are priced very similar.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I really liked the look of the Zaldeks. I'd probably keep the covers on though as it doesn't really go with the room look. I also like the 6 Ohm rating these have, since that is ultimatly what I will be getting for the HT system. Glad to hear you really like the HT sound of these, as thats about 80% of what I use my speakers for. Looking forward to hearing a comparison review and maybe even a review with someone that has a full HT setup with them.

And I have to say Best Buy rocks. Its the only place within 1/2 mile form my house (and probably further) that I can get new release DVD's (in WS) for $16. I like the setup of the store. I go there weekly sometimes just to stare at the Flat Panel TV's (Which has steadily been growing, I believe they now show at least 4 manufacturers). There speaker/HT section has always been limited to 4 or 5 manufacturers. But I can literally do anything I want to with them, and the staff is always excited and eager to help out (I think some of these guys like playing with the toys as much as I do). And aside from a couple of speaker manufacturers what they carry is great. Sure there are speakers better than JBL, or Yamaha, or CV, but do I think the difference is worth $100 or more per speaker, nope, not even close. Its just not worth it to me. I hope one day they'll pull in the Zaldeks to the store so I can play with them too.

DonJ

Second Unit
I understand where you are coming from Bill, I think it's really about what you've been exposed to and the sound that you are looking for. For me I love my Paradigm Monitors and I could not justify step up to the B&W CDM line (IMHO the 600's don't compare way to timid) and the CDM's are 3 times the price but IMO you don't get 3 time the sound. Then I started considering moving to the Studio line but I started to think that I should really just upgrade my electronics, move from my HK AVR320 to the Anthem AVM20 with the PVA7 amp and see what the speakers could really do.

But for some the increments are worth the extra cash, when I make a upgrade in speakers I want it to be huge so I don't have buyers remorse when listening. "Hmm do I really hear that big of a difference for the cash"? To me that's the worst feeling and I know the place I would get the biggest gains would be to make the move to separates from a all in one receiver.

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Geoff,
Oh trust me I made sure my neg and positive wires were not cancelling out. I even did a test on the Sound&vision tune up DVD to made sure of that :emoji_thumbsup: .
The warfs just has a bass that was going even if I turned my bass knob all the way down. They always bass'd and it was kind of annoying. Its not really a clean bass if you ask me. As for the center channel I was kind of debating to keep it or not, but I really don't have a good place to put the center since it way to hugh and heavy to fit on top of my RPTV and did not really want to spen 60.00 for additional speaker stand to go back behind the RPTV (above the rptv).
Don't ask me why I had to crank the volume up to get the Warfs going. I know by car audio that 2, 4 and 6 ohms takes more to push,,, but then again these are only 6.5" woofers. Also did you guys know the woofers are plastic? I hear bad things about the plastic material/made speakers so that can be something that have to do with it.
As for the Yami's I was at about -33 on volume control and can hear them really nice for late night movie watching,, versus the warfs have to say about hummm -22 to get the same kind of sound. The warfs just took more to get them going then the Yammis and by far Yammis were rocking at extreme levels.. but I can make the Yammis woofer kind of get a pop noise (not bad) at bass levels all the way up with volume cranked up too, while the warfs did not pop,, but got really distored.
The warfs IMHO has nice tweets and mid range, but the bass was hollow sound guys.
I know its not good to have the speakers towers side by side of the TV but it really sounds nice and there really not against the wall there about 3' away from it, it just looks that way :) . I know if I put them more out they will sound better but this way it takes up less room, I will still play with them and see what I like to set them up at. The wife likes the way its setup for now. Well keep you guys posted.:emoji_thumbsup:
As for Bo D .... Best Buy hates you as much as you hate there products, so sit on your middle finger and spin! :angry:
(just kidding) :D

Dom, Go for the Diamonds. I haven't heard the Zaldeks so I cant say 100% that the Diamond series is a better line. But I can tell you that I am thoroughly impressed with the Diamonds in my living room, especially when I compard them to speakers twice as expensive...

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Dom
At this point, there is just not enough user information out on the Zaldeks to make a point blank call!
I agree with Shane if these are the only 2 lines of speaks your looking at, that I say also go with the Diamonds. Kevlar drivers, high quaity silk tweets, nice look, very good build at their price point, bi-wire if thats important, and a multipul proven price to performance winner.
I hope you have not limited yourself to just these speakers and looked into other brands and lines. Nothing wrong with the Diamonds, but there is much out their to choose from. If you did go with the Diamonds, I think you definitly will get your moneys worth!
Mike F.===>
Please, if you could/would,,, answer the one question I have asked 2 times in the prior post.
Did the Zaldek CENTER require you to (turn it down in the RECEIVERS settings) to maintain a proper spl level across the front with the apparently hard to drive Zaldek booshelfs????????!
And those Yammies do look very nice by the way! :emoji_thumbsup:
Your front end looks more size balanced. Do mess with pulling them out as others have suggested, think you will surely notice a difference along with getting the center to the front edge of the TV if possible. (It's hard to tell it's exact placement in the pic). Will help it to sound much better.
You always can slide every thing back when not in use, right.
Glad you finaly found something that makes you smile!!!!!
Regards
Geoff

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Geoff,
I actually had to crank the center channel more DB's b/c the high notes on the bookshelfs were louder. That was in Prologic Music mode.
As for 5.1DD I had the bookshelfs DBs at +9 while the center was at about +6 to +7
In movies setup in DD5.1 or DTS it was excellent, just in music cd's (stand alone) they were not so great even if I played 3 speaker mode, center dialog was annoying, I did not like them in music listening.
Geoff, give them a shot man? Seems like you are really interested in them, you might like them as I really was not impressed. Since I do not have an SPL meter I cannot tell you if they were at its best, but from Zaldeks specs the efficiency on them did not need allot of power,, but it did to me where I like th=o listen to them at. Thats just my humble experience with them.
:frowning:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Whoaaaaaaa
No,,,, not interested in the Zaldek for me!!!!!!!
My brother is looking into them along with "other brands lines"
~{2-Centers & 4 of biggest Towers}~ He has been waiting for some user information to trickle down.....
What (I) was/am curious of and Having a very hard time Understanding is======>
The Zaldek line is said, at both BB and Wharfs site, as being an HIGHLY EFF speaker line, easy to drive, play loud with not much power, and high power handeling. ~{This is why I don't understand why you had to push your receiver so hard to get any real good spl out of them}~....!
It's supposed to be a Horn Load Mid and Tweet and supposed (highly effecient) 90+ db given what model you buy..
Your posts & experience, with at least these 2 speaks out of the Zaldek line, seem to show that the damn things appear to be a major bitch to drive, which is totaly contradictory to that of which they seem to be pushing in their advertisement of the Zaldek line.
Even your smaller H/K-125 should make these screem with that type of eff....
I got more damn speakers and subs than I know what to do with, thanks anyway! :)
Thanks for answering my question...
Cheers
Geoff

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Geoff,
Your welcome bud:emoji_thumbsup: !!
You want to know whats funny.... is that my Yamaha's that I own and these are towers I can listen to them like at -45 and my lowest turn down on the volume is -80 and I can increse the volume to -75 in PrologicII and can hear my center a little bit. That is rare to see happen. The Zaldeks I crank to about -40 to even hear shit. Yamahas are just way better speakers. Now if I own an more powerfull H/K 525 maybe they can drive a little better,, but I know my AVR125 is underrated when it came to watts my amp in my humble experience should drive those Zaldek SOBs to death by there spec's and I had to put over 90% load on volume to reallyy enjoy them,, but the freakin bass was always there and even when I had my bass knob turnd all the way down. I hope others will buy these and test them and see what there thoughts are,, but mine was not so happy. Maybe a kid that only likes rock music or bass all the time will like these,, but me, ....hell no!! My Yamahas in my book sounds great for my ears and the cost was diffentatly worth it!
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks