What's new

Westworld (HBO) (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
For those fans of Banshee's Lili Simmons and were bummed at her character's recent fate, fear not as she has been signed to the Westworld cast.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
GREAT new trailer:

It looks like the the androids in this are similar to the Gangers in "The Rebel Flesh"/'The Almost People" two-parter on "Doctor Who".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Since it hasn't been posted, here is a longer trailer from HBO's official youtube channel:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
First episode tonight--can't wait! Advanced reviews are quite favourable.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Really strong premiere: everything from the music (loved the remixes of "modern" songs like Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black), to the costumes, to the gorgeous establishing shots was terrific. The early praise from critics doesn't appear to have been misplaced.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Do they not keep track of what the guests are doing? Money or no money, I'm not sure why Ed Harris' character is allowed to keep visiting.

Other than that, I'm intrigued.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Do they not keep track of what the guests are doing? Money or no money, I'm not sure why Ed Harris' character is allowed to keep visiting.

Other than that, I'm intrigued.

I'm sure it will be explained, although the Man in Black is clearly--at least at this point--one of the major plots, so I wouldn't expect tons of answers right away.

By my count, there are at least two possible broad theories: 1) the MiB is a guest, but has "insider" knowledge (gained through experience, as he says) and is able to operate outside the general rules (including, perhaps, monitoring and payment); 2) the MiB is a host that has broken free. The milk is likely a symbolic representation of the liquid in which the hosts are made. Is the MiB's wasting of the milk further symbolic? The saloon scene with the milk is also part of this theme, I think.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I wish there was a legal way for me to watch this. I dont have a cable box anymore. I watch Netflix and other online services and buy/rent newer movies and shows from iTunes. I WANT to pay them to watch it, but they do not provide a way. Grrr....

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I 'figured out' the remix of Paint it Black, but Black Hole Sun was eluding me, so thanks for the mention of that song, Josh. Loved the premiere.

Regarding the role that Ed Harris plays in the series, I am uncertain (based on only one episode) which direction they will go with his character. If he is human I am uncertain what mystery he would be attempting to unravel. The nature of that world is common knowledge to the customers; on a fairly broad and non-specific level. I suppose he could be human and operating in 'God' mode within the system, but it seems more likely that he is a host who has broken free of the system and is attempting to understand his origins and the nature of the world in which he finds himself.

The milk reminded me of the fluid that was integral to the androids of the Alien universe, Ash and Bishop most notably. But we know that the hosts bleed red. Based on the scene where Harris drains the host down to 3 liters. (Also, shooting a host and having them bleed white fluid would hurt the guest's immersion.) But we do see a white liquid that solidifies which is part of the manufacturing cycle.

Looking forward to the where the series goes particularly in terms of the larger issues involving creation and the nature of thought and memory.

BTW, the final shot of Dolores killing the fly is just a perfect way to end episode one with all that it portends.

- Walter.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I tend to agree with the theory that Harris is a host who has found a way to break away, based on Marsden's shock and disbelief.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I 'figured out' the remix of Paint it Black, but Black Hole Sun was eluding me, so thanks for the mention of that song, Josh. Loved the premiere.

Also interesting is that both songs have "black" in their title. Coupled with the end credit song by Johnny Cash, there are few signs pointing us to the Man in Black.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Didn't consider the 'black' aspect of the various songs but that does seem to be a unifying element.

A couple of other thoughts regarding the references to paper tape music boxes / player piano that were scattered throughout the premiere. The nature of a paper tape music playback is predetermined like the loops that are programmed into the hosts. The visual representation of the paper tape rolls reminds me of the sorts of images one might associate with DNA barcodes in a very loose sense.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Okay, even more thoughts. I think this show is going to have me posting quite a bit. :)

The built in mechanism that prevents hosts from doing harm to guests has not been presented as of yet to viewers. My first guess would be that there is some mechanism that permits a host to recognize other host forms and fundamental programming at a very deep level that inhibits harmful actions against non-host entities.

If this is the case, then clearly Ed Harris is host as Teddy (Marsden) did not hesitate to attempt to kill the Man in Black. I'm beginning to think that Harris is sort of like Neo in the Matrix. (Not that he can bend reality, but in terms of breaking the rules of the system.)

I guess that is enough for now. :)

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks