What's new

Westerns year by year--recommend the best for blu (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
As discussed in a thread on the SD board, two westerns with noir qualities that I would like to see released on BR, or even SD, both star Guy Madison: Reprisal! and The Hard Man.

Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Yup, two of my favorite westerns starring Mitchum are this one and Blood on the Moon. Both films have film noir qualities to them.

Crawdaddy

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
They sound good. Any chance someone would put up some original poster art?

We are now to 1948....Please start your nominations for best Westerns from that year...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by benbess
They sound good. Any chance someone would put up some original poster art?

We are now to 1948....Please start your nominations for best Westerns from that year...
No question. Red River.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by benbess
Cinescott: Yes, it's sometimes been jarring to me to that it is so obviously not Texas. But over time I've come to see that it's majestic and stands for a fantasy filmic Texas. We're not really in Texas, we are in the made up world of the movies, and in some ways Ford is quite clear about that and invites us to be part of the make believe...

Notice also how Ethan's brother's wife feels the same way about him...
Some take this one step further, and believe Debbie may be Ethan's daughter.
The final scene would thus be even more dramatic.

Giving her his medal is certainly in line with this assumption. In fact, there wouldn't be any scene in this great movie contradicting this possibility, although I don't think it's a necessary plot element.

Cees

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

Giving her his medal is certainly in line with this assumption. In fact, there wouldn't be any scene in this great movie contradicting this possibility, although I don't think it's a necessary plot element.

Cees
wow. I'd never thought of that.....

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattH.
No question. Red River.
...and, deliciously, coming on BD from Criterion (it's rumoured they'll also release Heaven's Gate). Has anyone mentioned Drums Along The Mohawk? I've seen a fantastic HD broadcast - it would look amazing on Blu.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Quote:
...and, deliciously, coming on BD from Criterion (it's rumoured they'll also release Heaven's Gate). Has anyone mentioned Drums Along The Mohawk? I've seen a fantastic HD broadcast - it would look amazing on Blu.
Thanks for the news. I have not seen Red River. At least not that I remember. I'm one of few who appreciates Heaven's Gate in the director's cut. But if Criterion does it I guess that'll be proof that there are other fans as well...

I'm watching right now Criterion's Stagecoach on blu. The negative of Stagecoach is lost (how did that happen--vault "fire" or someone harvesting silver?)....and the best surviving print they found is pretty darn rough in places. I'm so spoiled by the pristine presentations found for so many old films on blu-ray that all the scratches and dust and drop outs do bother me a bit. But I'm pretending I'm seeing it in 1949 in rerelease in a small town theater with an old print--and it's kind of working. I'm watching with the commentary, and it's really quite well done. The audio commentary is by western authority Jim Kitses, author of Horizons West.

0816e227_redriver.jpg

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

Cees
Some also go with the theory that Martin may be Ethan's son. There's the exchange:

Code:
ETHAN
Martin...I want you to know some-
thin'...
MARTIN
(turning -- mad as 
hell)
Yeah...you want me to know I ain't got 
no kin -- no money -- no horses -- 
nothing but a dead man's clothes 
to wear!..You tole me that already...
Now shut your head!

...where it may well be that Ethan was about to confess that. Interesting thought, but that's all it is I think. I do like to think, however, that Debbie is Ethan's and while it may not be a necessary plot element it shifts the whole dynamic dramatically.

BTW, after all the controversy when The Searchers was released on BD, while I think it looks quite magnificent, it doesn't look much like a VistaVision print anymore - and I join the chorus who would welcome another tweak, another crack at it from Warner.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Some also go with the theory that Martin may be Ethan's son.
I do like to think, however, that Debbie is Ethan's and while it may not be a necessary plot element it shifts the whole dynamic dramatically.

Agreed. I personally like that interpretation very much too.
(I never read Alan Le May's original novel, so I can't say if there's any indication, one way or another, in the book.)

Cees

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

My top vote is She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. This is one of my top ten Westerns of all time. I like it even better than The Searchers. It should be on blu-ray, I have no doubt of that. And with John Wayne, John Ford, and Oscar-award winning cinematography I think it would be a big seller. Does Warner Brothers own this title? I hope so. They almost always do such a fine job. I hope the negative of this one survives. It was distressing to see Stagecoach in such rough shape in places...

e0c1a139_yellow2.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Getting ahead of ourselves here, but right now I'm watching for the very first time The Magnificent Seven. What a cast. What music! And this can now be had at Target for the amazing price of 7.99. It looks terrific. Excellent pq and aq. Fun Western so far. I love Yul Brynner...Plus Steve McQueen. Plus Lee Marvin! Plus Eli Wallach... My gosh.

16b34402_72.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Another side question. Do you think there will ever be a successful Western show on TV (whether broadcast or cable) again? Since Deadwood died I don't there's been anything, has there?

After the $250 million worldwide take of True Grit, I thought maybe someone might take a chance with a Western, but so far nada on the horizon for Fall. I think a cable channel would be better for a Western, but as much as I liked Deadwood maybe something more family oriented?

But in the meantime I still have reruns of my favorite Western of the 60s, The Virginian. All 8 seasons are now available for streaming via Netflix. Each episode is like a little B Western movie...Unfortunately it's not in HD, but it still looks pretty good in full color. I think they preserved the masters of this show pretty well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is undoubtedly a great film. Shirley Temple and John Agar were married at the time of its production. She later divorced him claiming he was an alcoholic and wife beater.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't see many other Westerns from 1949, and so let's move on to the 50s and what some here call "the Golden Age of the Western."

1950 had the classic High Noon with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. Having something of a Quaker background myself I've always liked her character. Imho she still had a bit to learn about acting, and wouldn't fully come into her own until Dial M and esp. Rear Window, but a classic Western with Cooper and Kelly is worthy of a blu in my book. Actually an HD master has recently popped on on Netflix for this one, so that might mean a blu-ray is coming out in the next year...

73054960_high2.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of the greats unquestionably.

I also love The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck. It was a flop at the box-office, but I find it very entertaining to watch. (Peck claims the mustache he wore in the film was so despised by his fans that they refused to come out and support the movie.)

John Beavers

Second Unit
I'm a favorite of most any John Wayne film. Not a fan of his politics, but as a Western Hero he just can't be beat. I personally liked Laredo as a favorite Western; one among many that would tie for 1st place in my book of fandom.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I can definitely see how John Wayne was the All-American, bigger than life hero persona that people fell in love with. For me, I've found him to be very good once I was able to look past the "swagger" image that so many have imitated over the years. It seemed before I watched much of his stuff that the idiosyncratic way in which he walked and spoke must have been exaggerated. Well, it was, but not by that much.

His politics were an issue, particularly during the 60s and "The Green Berets" era when he traveled to Vietnam (an unpopular trip for the soldiers already there). I had discussed it with a vet who was there at the time and he mentioned that Wayne was almost rushed out of the country for his pro-war stance and lack of military service. He wasn't much more popular than Jane Fonda at the time. As time has passed since his death, I think his legacy is secure and the image he portrays on-screen taken for what it is, a very pro-America vision, filled with optimism and hope.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
One reason why I like She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is that Wayne is to some degree playing against type. He's an older guy who has seen war and want to try to avoid it if at all possible.

What about Annie Get Your Gun? Does that count as a musical Western? It was a huge box office hit...

9782d8c4_annie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks