I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on HTF, so here goes:
The West Wing has been renewed for a seventh season
Hooray! :)
Source: BBC News

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
So, I guess the question now is who will be starring... Jimmy Smits or Alan Alda? The way Wells is spooling out episodes this season (one featuring Smits and another highlighting Alda), he should be able to determine who the audience favors (at least by rating numbers) in the lead role.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
They best stay "on the road" for the remaining episodes....

The recent White House episodes are forgettable and seem like filler as the new story arcs take shape. These WH/Bartlett lame duck episodes are lackluster and deviod of any of the magic of the past.

I would even settle for a repub at this point - these guys are boring me :wink:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
So, when do we get to the point where cronism pardons people who shouldn't ;)

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i've always enjoyed the episodes that come from the road anyway. the two-parter when bartlet was shot that flashed back to how his WH staff came together on the campaign trail, the season opener a couple seasons ago when josh, toby and donna missed the caravan and the flight home, out in california with sam, the ones where they were gathered at the president's farm and going over strategy for the recent campaign, etc.

the episode a few weeks ago with smits on the campaign trail in new hampshire was excellent.

it does seem that the quality of the show is back up quite a bit from where it was last season.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It will also depend on which one is willing to do the show on a weekly basis. I've heard Alda is not. It also depends on who has the most desirable salary demands.

I think the amount of screentime Smits has already gotten, I don't think Alda has had an entire episode devoted solely to him until this week while Smits has had several, and the fact that he will carry over some other characters such as Josh pretty much sews up the win for Smits.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
the fact that he will carry over some other characters such as Josh pretty much sews up the win for Smits.
This is what I am guessing, as well. I think Donna will be back with Josh next season, too. There have been no staff members introduced for the Alan Alda character, so that makes me think he won't be the president.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wouldn't Smits bring in more of the demographic that advertisers want, as opposed to Alda?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
DVD only, S1 and S2 only. Lew nailed the one problem I have with the show at this point:
My only hesitation is that the main characters are all too good to be truly believable. Even their character flaws are understandable and forgivable (Leo’s alcoholism, for example) or due to the stress of the job.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
>> one featuring Smits and another highlighting Alda

The only episode I would say 'highlights' Alda is the one coming up about the Republican convention. Vinick has been IN shows, but I definitely wouldn't say they've been 'focusing' alternate episodes on him.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Doesn't this past Wed's episode in effect remove any possibility of Vinick winning? I'm presumming the characters of the show live in the current political environment.

Sad to say, but I doubt that someone who doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve, who doesn't do the photo op at church every Sunday can be elected prez.

In this country, a doubter, much less an atheist, is disqualified from being president.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Ok Ok all my attempts to find out what happen in the last episode have filed just like my stupid DVR. I had to work so I missed the Season finale. Can someone please tell me what happened??

Thanks!
Jeff

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Here you go Jeff...
Courtesy of Television Without Pity:
Chaos, confusion, disorder! We spend the first part of the episode watching Santos, Russell, and Hoynes jockey for position at the Democratic convention. And then Governor Bundy rejects Bingo Bob's offer of the Vice-Presidential nomination and makes his own run for the gold. On the second and third ballot, Bundy steals votes away from Santos and Russell, and utterly destroys Hoynes. Leo leans on Josh and Santos to pull out of the race and support one of the other candidates. Santos demands podium time to speak to the delegates, but instead of withdrawing, he gives an impassioned defense of the right of the delegates to make the decision. It was pretty good, y'all -- even my jaded little heart was moved. His speech so impresses President Bartlet that he starts working behind the scenes to get the nomination for Santos. He succeeds, of course. And then Santos asks Leo to be his Vice-President. I know! Meanwhile, the crisis continues on the International Space Station. The story about the military shuttle is all over the press, and Jed must decide whether to rescue the astronauts or let them die. But he also wants to know who leaked the story, and he assigns Kate and Toby to find out. The episode ends before we learn whether Jed is going to use the military shuttle to rescue the astronauts, and all we learn about the leak is that the call is coming from inside the house. Er, I mean, the leak came from inside the West Wing. But the identity of the suspected leaker is not revealed.

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

The show was centered on the democratic convention, with a parallel story of the stranded shuttle astronauts. Baker, Russell's pick for VP bags out and decides to run for President himself. The WH and Leo do not want a convention without a chosen candidate so begin pressure on the the candidates to settle it by day two of convention so all will look unified for TV. Josh works on the former, now disgraced VP to get behind Santos. Santos needs the teachers to get enough states for nomination, but his stand against tenure keep the union head with Russell, even after a meeting with Josh.

By day three, no candidate still so Leo approaches Santos directly and tells him to bow out for the good of the party and he will win political favor down the road. He appears to agree and plans an withdrawal announcement during his speech. At the speech, Josh, Santos's wife and staff stand behind stage as WH watches on TV. Santos begins speech and then gives a moving speech why he will NOT bow out and reiterates his stump speech ideals. In a cut to the WH, Bartlett watches the speech, obviously moved, and then picks up phone to call Leo.

The teacher union guy is called into a meeting by Josh, and when he show up he complains to Josh that he will not change his mind as he is lead into a room and then announced to President Bartlet who has shown up. Game, set match now. With Santos having the votes, Josh approaches Leo and says they have an idea for VP. Josh tells Leo it is him and Bartlet has approved.

Closing scenes are Santos on stage accepting nomination with Leo at his side.

Whew!

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Closing scenes are Santos on stage accepting nomination with Leo at his side.
Then with Vinnick watching on TV with his staff, silently acknowledging who his competition is, nodding to his staff, and stating "let's go win this thing."

chuck_b

Supporting Actor
John,

Thanks, important ending for the lead in for next season. I guess I forgot the republican candidate.........again :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks