What's new

West Wing: The Complete Series Collection (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find a topic on this so I thought I'd post it. If one exists, my apologies ...

I just saw this beastly collection and my lord in heaven, the set is absolutely beautiful. If I was a West Wing fan I'd definately buy this set as the deluxe packaging is gorgeous. Gord, if you happen to see this, even you are going to be impressed. It contains over 20 hours of bonus content and the packaging is enough to make a fan drool.

Target has it $219.99.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC, the bonus content is exactly the same as that on the individual releases, i.e. there isn't anything new in this box, save for the book included in the package. Which is of some comfort to us loyalists who have been faithfully buying each individual season upon release.

Having said that, I'm such a fan, I just might buy this, precisely if the shiny new packaging is that nice, and also so I can "relegate" the "ordinary" sets to day-use and to loan to people.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, that isn't entirely true. The Complete Series box uses all single-sided discs for the series. The individual seasons used double-sided discs (sometimes with poor results) for the first four seasons. That alone makes the Complete set more attractive, IMO. However, since I already have these, and since I spend way too much on DVDs, I probably will not pick this up. Still, cheers to Warners for not throwing a bunch of new material on this set to exploit the die-hard fans.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I have to say that Gord's review: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/siterevi...ReleaseID=6126 of this set was excellent and the photo of the set on the shelf was best of all. The picture was worth a thousand words. I'm definitely thinking about picking this one up, although I really think that these special sets need their own display area. They just don't look right on a shelf with the volumes of other season sets.

The only reason I have not bought into this series before this point is because the principle actor won't keep his mouth shut about his personal politics. When I sit down to watch a show, I don't want the distraction of media over saturation of an actor's personal life or political leanings. It takes away from the show.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Glad you liked it, Doug. I took the set off the shelf after taking the photo; it'll go somewhere else, but I haven't decided where. I realize that many collector's want things they can put on their shelf, so I wanted to illustrate what it would look like sitting there. I hope Warner Bros sends the Friends set as well; I'd love to see how that one looks.

Gord

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Sheesh $200+ ... so much money. I've been watching the reruns, if I get into the show a bit more, I might consider buying.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Check your Circuit Citys--mine had one out for $50.00 (The guy in front of me bought the only copy they had for that price--I didn't get it because I hated the series & did not realize the mistake they had made until I saw it ring up @ fifty bucks!) I would have gotten it & traded it back for something else later, but I snoozed & lost.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I bought seasons 2-6 over the summer, during the last 20% sale at DDD, but sent them back, unopened, shortly thereafter when I heard that a "complete series" set was scheduled for later this year. SInce I only owned Season 1, I figured picking up seasons 2-7 would be as cheap with a "complete series" set as they were season by season.

So, I was entirely prepared, actually looking forward to, buying the complete series when the next 20% sale came around (now) but I am very concerned over the packaging of the discs.

I've seen no specific mention of this, but looking at the photos at A..zon it looks like the discs are all shoved into cardboard "sleeves", half a dozen discs for each season into the "file folder" format.

Is this accurate? This type of packaging is just begging for scratches, and I've never appreciated it. In the case of a two disc set, with one disc stored this way, I can just use a spare thin jewel case... but 4 dozen discs? I don't think so.

I really hate to say it, l and I know it is neurotic, but this is a deal breaker for me. I really like that they went with single sided discs to avoid the problems with the dual-layer/dual-sided pressings, but why do they have to introduce new quality problems by shoving discs, unprotected, into cardboard sleeves? Saves a couple inches of storage over seven seasons of discs, and I know any cosmetic scratches from taking a disc in and out a few times over the years would be only that - cosmetic, but..

My car would perform just as well, from a functional standpoint, if I drove it through wire mesh brushes at a carwash every week, but is it something I should be asked, nay, asked to pay, to do?

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like the complete series of Alias is another offender. Great, collectible, packaging concept destroyed by "shove the discs in cardboard". One thing that appeals to collectors - innovative packaging - is ruined by crappy storage... Joe 6'Pack could care less about scratched discs (as long as they play) or "cute" packaging. Seems like a lose/lose to me; the studio is saving money to the detriment of collectors (by way of crappy disc storage) and spending money in an effort to appeal to those who couldn't care less. (by way of of a few scratches - they'd stick a pop-tart in the player if it came in a Netflix envelope- or innovative packaging)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Doug, I'm not a fan of Martin Sheen's politics either, but I would vote for Josiah Bartlett for president tomorrow if he was running.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Did they finally remaster the first season in widescreen or is it still 4:3? I already have all the individual seasons but that would be the thing that would get me to buy this one.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
I have 1-4 (all gotten very cheaply- $15 range), have held out on 5-7 so far...

I would like to have 1-3 as single-sided discs rather than flippers (I don't KNOW that anything is wrong with any of mine, just that I had lots of trouble with the double-sided ER discs), but it's distressing to read about this cardboard prone-to-scratching packaging.

They do LOOK very pretty, those folders...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks