What's new

WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I suspect Schrank had just seen what they did to the colors during the Overture, and every person he pulled over for the rest of the day received similar treatment.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I played the file with my eyes shut again and again and it sure did sound exactly how the original poster describes it, mind you i have just watched How To Train Your Dragon in perfect DLP 3D goodness and one of the characters sounds like they are saying "f**k it", of course they aren't really saying that, it just sounds that way, the ears play tricks on us.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yup, I heard the offending words in the wav file too. Except it sounded odd, almost manufactured. Perhaps what would happen if multiple sounds were combined in a chance occurrence. Count me in the group that thinks this is not intentional.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Johnny Angell said:
Yup, I heard the offending words in the wav file too. Except it sounded odd, almost manufactured. Perhaps what would happen if multiple sounds were combined in a chance occurrence. Count me in the group that thinks this is not intentional.
I have sent Fox Studios an email so that they can check this thread as well.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Not only is he saying, "Break it up, you punks," he's saying it clearly and distinctly.

The only interesting thing about all of this is why people need to believe the things they believe, but philosophers have been struggling with that for millennia.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
The only interesting thing about all of this is why people need to believe the things they believe, but philosophers have been struggling with that for millennia.
So the two separate anecdotes about the wives who heard the offending phrase without any preconceived notion didn't wash with you, Joe?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, I knew what we were supposed to hear, so I called in my wife and asked her to listen, without ANY explanation.
She said it was 'break it up ..... cocksuckers ... cut it out:.
And that's what I heard too.
The 'cocksuckers' sounds as if it is a slightly different voice but that could be through different tracks being merged.
Yes, this has been one hell of a thread.......

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Isham said:
I heard "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out!"
Gee, you think? It's so obvious unless you are determined to hear something else, and even if it DID sound like something else it clearly isn't. Period.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Joe Lugoff said:
Not only is he saying, "Break it up, you punks," he's saying it clearly and distinctly.

Amen.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
cinerama10 said:
I have sent Fox Studios an email so that they can check this thread as well.
Yes, and I'm sure they are filing it with all your others - they have a special file for this sort of thing. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Gee, you think? It's so obvious unless you are determined to hear something else, and even if it DID sound like something else it clearly isn't. Period.
There's an awful lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary in this thread, though, Bruce.

And what I mean by that is that many people have posted in this thread that they aren't "determined" to hear something else...but that many have been surprised to find that they are hearing the OP's claim...along with family members who aren't even privy to the discussion.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I did try not to hear it...I mean, I really, truly was listening specifically for the actual lines to judge for myself the nature of this mixing error...but there it was...that tried and true Teamster ear bomb!

Apologies to the OP for assuming he was exaggerating this thing just to make his point. I don't know how anyone could miss it...unless they're only sensitive to dog frequencies.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, I was a total sceptic ... which is why I asked my wife Robyn to listen and repeat what she heard.
She of course blushed delicately and whispered in case our nearest neighbours, 200 metres away, could hear ... "cocksuckers:.
So I don't really know how to explain that. I swear and swear again on my well-thumbed atheist's bible that I did not give her even a hint of what she was listening to.
So there you go.
Thanks Mark for sending across that wav. file.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Want the bottom line? It doesn't really matter what you "think" you hear - the line is "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out." That's really the end of the story, isn't it?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
haineshisway said:
Want the bottom line? It doesn't really matter what you "think" you hear - the line is "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out." That's really the end of the story, i
haineshisway said:
Want the bottom line? It doesn't really matter what you "think" you hear - the line is "Break it up, you punks! Now cut it out." That's really the end of the story, isn't it?

You may "think" what you know better than other people. Maybe you have the old dvd where nothing was changed. Fox have offered me a replacement dvd so they must also know know that someone played around with the restoration. It would have been a simple thing to do.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, no, it seems that really isn't the end of the story. Since people without any expectations can hear the 'cocksucker' line, without any prompting about what to expect, something odd really does seem to have happened.
Mind you, I can only go by that audio file which was posted here . .I only have the old DVD, not the Blu ray. But I'm presuming that's a genuine sound-grab.
It's all very perplexing.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
No, I have the Blu-ray and I can hear what's being said. Others are hearing what they think they're hearing but I sincerely hope that no one here is suggesting that someone inserted a word into the sound mix that has never been there before. I REALLY hope no one is suggesting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks