What's new

Wes Anderson likes dirty swimming pools (1 Viewer)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Watch Wes Anderson's shot of Anthony dive into the Motel's swimming pool in Bottle Rocket and then witness Bill Murray's cannonball in Rushmore. Two of the cloudiest/dirtiest pools I've ever seen on film. What's up with that, and will it make its way into The Royal Tenenbaums?
Pieter
Whoops, almost forgot about the exact opposite occurance at the beginning of Bottle Rocket when Futureman (aka John Mapplethorpe) goes ape-shit on Bob for missing a leaf while cleaning the family pool.
Maybe it's time for me to get some fresh air...

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I think Wes likes a lot of the same themes. The trailer for Tenenbaums has more than a few things that remind me of Rushmore.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Kumar Pallana is in all of Anderson's films, including The Royal Tenenbaums. Kumar played the incompetant safecracker in Bottle Rocket and Mr. Littlejeans the groundskeeper in Rushmore.

Also, looking at Tenenbaum's IMDb listing, it lists Olivia Williams (Miss Cross in Rushmore) as Eli's (Owen Wilson's) wife? I didn't notice her when I saw it over the weekend (In fact I'm not sure if he's married in the film). I think I'm gonna have to watch it again.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Also, Wes Anderson likes motorized vehicles.
Owen Wilson drove a motorized cycle in Bottle Rocket.
There were go karts in Rushmore
and there were go karts in Royal Tenenbaums
Also, did anybody notice Jason Schwartzman as the Tennis Commentator?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I caught Jason as the commentator. I had the vague notion of the motorized vehicle, mainly in the relationship of the size to the rider (the motorcycle in BR seemed a little small, as do the go karts). Of course, another link is Mark Mothersbaugh as the contributor to the score and the inclusion of music from the 60's/Rolling Stones.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I believe Andrew Wilson, brother of Luke and Owen is also in all 3 films. In (both versions of) Bottle Rocket, he is Bob Mapplethorpe's brother "Future Man." In Rushmore, he's the baseball coach. In TRT, he's the redneck that chops off Margot's finger.

As already touched on here, there are many themes that all 3 films have in common. Another being the concept of forbidden or taboo love.

Guy_K

Second Unit
that's funny that miss cross is owen's wife.. maybe she appears in a picture or two in his apartment..

owen wilson was miss cross' husband in rushmore, you could see him in the pictures too

lol

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Wes Anderson also likes plays. At least the last two films features a play of some sort. I can't remember if Bottle Rocket does as well, but I don't believe it does.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Wes Anderson uses an actor in all 3 films.
Brian Tenenbaum...which he uses his last name as the title of Royal Tenebaums
Plus he uses drawings(of somekind) in all 3 films

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Wes Anderson likes dirty swimming pools
Now, I don't know why he likes dirty swimming pools, but I think I have a beat on why he likes pools in general.
One, he's an admitted devotee of The Graduate, which, as you know, includes a pool as one of its set pieces. The Bill Murray scene in Rushmore is as close to a 'Graduate' homage as you can get.
Two, being the exact same age as Wes Anderson, and growing up in what I believe to be similar circumstances, I can tell you that swimming pools represent wealth like almost nothing else. When I was growing up, in suburbia, rich people had pools. It was a very big thing in the 60s/70s to have a pool if you had money. I didn't have one, none of my friends had one, but at that time, to a child/teenager, it was about the most significant socio-economic divider line there was. "They" had pools and "we" didn't. That Bill Murray's pool was disgustingly dirty seems pretty apt as he was the very definition of nouveau-riche.
Maybe that's still the case. I dunno. I don't live in suburbia anymore. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks