What's new

We're Back! (mostly) (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I see my various photos have now re-appeared in the threads.
Thank you Adam.
You and your team are doing a wonderful job.

One question if I may, is there a reason why my name appears above the avatar, instead of Advanced Member or similar?

I guess warning points will be removed and corrected joining dates reinstated as you gradually get things back to normal.

It's certainly been an interesting ride so far, but it's great to have HTF back again and now looking better than ever.
Thank you.

Doug.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm going to be honest here... I don't like the new format. I miss having subscriptions. I miss the homepage with the featured stories. I don't like that my user IMs were wiped clean. I'm waiting to find something I like better about the new format, but it loads slower and doesn't get me where I want to go as fast.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
bigshot said:
I'm going to be honest here... I don't like the new format. I miss having subscriptions. I miss the homepage with the featured stories. I don't like that my user IMs were wiped clean. I'm waiting to find something I like better about the new format, but it loads slower and doesn't get me where I want to go as fast.
Honesty is great. So is patience. Adam has been all over the forum telling members that subscriptions are on their way. You can sort posts made since the move via the "View new Content" link at the top right of each page. And, eventually--once the images get completely sorted out--the old subscriptions will be back in the mix. I miss 'em too. But they'll be back soon.

The homepage redesign is in the mix, too.

The owners, unfortunately, got rushed into the new platform and have been doing a great job getting things up-to-speed as quickly as they have.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
First of all, I intend to be patient.

I think some of the frustration that I feel (and possibly others), is that we aren't sure what is going away and what is coming back.

The last post by Mike (#106) is the first I've seen outlining some of the plans.

The initial pre-launch talked about software and Huddler and past conversions. What we didn't hear is what things would be like afterwards - like were we still going to have x and y. The early conversations were too vague, too high-level.

And now that we are in it, we don't know what to wait for. We know things are missing, but we don't know if they are gone, or are in progress. I've seen mentions of 'images', but which ones? Just in posts? Our galleries? Our avatars and screens?I know that I don't have profile information - should I fill it out, or wait for it to be restored? (or with my memory, maybe I didn't have any to begin with - I don't remember).

I work in software development. Normally with big projects, we present the clients/users with a roadmap of the changes, as well as outline what they will see in the 'new world'. I understand that this implementation was rushed. And so far, all of you have done a terrific job with a lot to do. I think some of our frustration will go away with more information. Maybe you didn't know the map before. But you should have a good handle on it now.

So, please, keep the updates coming - not just the changes, but the talk about the changes.

Thanks

David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David:

Excellent post.

Ask any questions you might have about features on the new HTF.

Honestly, there have been a number of threads around the forum--many of then in the Feedback forum--dealing with the move. The unfortunate thing is that the information tends to get scattered all across the forums: a little bit here and a little bit there. But the owners and moderation staff have been doing the best we can to answer any questions and fill-in any gaps in information about the future direction of the site.

So, please, ask any questions and Adam and Ron and the other owners will weigh in and give up some straight answers. The other mods and myself will regurgitate anything we've already heard in some of the pre-existing posts on the subject.

All images are lagging: avatars, images in posts, etc.

Personally, I went ahead and reinserted my profile picture and added profile information because I figured it would be best to be pro-active. If things get muddy when information and images reemerge in the forum, I'll adjust.

I'll be sure to point Adam here. :thumbsup:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Doug Bull said:
I see my various photos have now re-appeared in the threads.
Thank you Adam.
You and your team are doing a wonderful job.

One question if I may, is there a reason why my name appears above the avatar, instead of Advanced Member or similar?

I guess warning points will be removed and corrected joining dates reinstated as you gradually get things back to normal.

It's certainly been an interesting ride so far, but it's great to have HTF back again and now looking better than ever.
Thank you.

Doug.
Pictures are coming back, with the exception of a few Avatars are back. The title above your name is something you can edit after a certain number of posts and it looks like you edited it. I can put it back for you if you want, just sent me a PM. Join dates have been fixed. Not sure about warning points to be honest, haven't thought about it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
bigshot said:
Apologize things have been a bit slow. That has more to do with all the things happening in the back end. Subscriptions have been miscommunicated and for that I am sorry. We have subscriptions here. What we don't have YET are a port of the subscriptions from the old site. I am going to put together a brief tutorial on subscriptions tomorrow so members know how to use them here on the site. As to importing subscriptions, we are working on it and will be able to have a more exact time frame in the next few days, but either way we are hopefully looking at no more than 2-3 weeks. The home page is returning, and it will be better than ever. My guess is 3-4 weeks? At this point we are focusing everything on the forum. Once we get that up to where we want it we will move onto the next items like the front page, galleries, a new review system for our reviewers to use and more. We just want to get the basics down first before we try to roll out too much. We learned our lesson the hard way on that once before. PMs are up in the air right now. if we can restore them we will, but subscriptions are a higher priority, so I don't want to commit to saying we will be able to do anything with them yet, but we will try. Hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
David Weicker said:
First of all, I intend to be patient.

I think some of the frustration that I feel (and possibly others), is that we aren't sure what is going away and what is coming back.

The last post by Mike (#106) is the first I've seen outlining some of the plans.

The initial pre-launch talked about software and Huddler and past conversions. What we didn't hear is what things would be like afterwards - like were we still going to have x and y. The early conversations were too vague, too high-level.

And now that we are in it, we don't know what to wait for. We know things are missing, but we don't know if they are gone, or are in progress. I've seen mentions of 'images', but which ones? Just in posts? Our galleries? Our avatars and screens?

I know that I don't have profile information - should I fill it out, or wait for it to be restored? (or with my memory, maybe I didn't have any to begin with - I don't remember).

I work in software development. Normally with big projects, we present the clients/users with a roadmap of the changes, as well as outline what they will see in the 'new world'. I understand that this implementation was rushed. And so far, all of you have done a terrific job with a lot to do. I think some of our frustration will go away with more information. Maybe you didn't know the map before. But you should have a good handle on it now.

So, please, keep the updates coming - not just the changes, but the talk about the changes.

Thanks

David
David, you bring up some excellent points. This conversion happened about a month before we were ready for it to happen. We tried to negotiate an extension with Huddler, but we were just too far apart on terms so we couldn't make it work. Over the last week we have been focusing everything on trying to nail down the big issues: Images, redirects, bugs, avatars, the login issue, etc. Now that those are mostly done (still have some image work and some minor bugs) we are finally able to come up for air. Another issue is some things have been discussed here, some there, where ever the questions have been asked we have tried to answer them. We have a roadmap, but we haven't shared it yet as we are working with our various partners to come up with realistic time frames for the items on the list. Hopefully we should have that information in the next few days and we will be able to publish the roadmap with realistic timeframes.

In the meantime here are some things that are on the roadmap (making no promises as to when and in no particular order):

[*]New front page with news, reviews and choice content from the forum
[*]New menu bar to make navigation easier and better highlight the best content: A few words about, Weekly RoundUp, reviews, Release dates, etc.
[*]New review pages. Like reading them in the forums? They aren't going anywhere, but if you would prefer them to be more article based with comments you will have that to. Eventually we will have an advanced search for reviews.
[*]We are working on importing subscriptions, real names and locations. If we can PMs and reputation, but no promises on those yet.
[*]Galleries should be coming very soon. I don't know yet if we will be able to import pics from old galleries. Personally I'm just going to probably reload my theater pics when they launch.
[*]Other tweaks to the look of the forum to make it easier to navigate and start threads.
[*]Advertising (blah, I know, but we have to pay the bills)
[/list]
Hopefully that helps, and again look for something more specific in the next few days.

Speaking of reviews, we migrated them all to one area. There was too much confusion on where to find them. Is that in the 3D or Blu-ray area, the TV or DVD area, etc. All reviews are now in one place but you can sort by type if you only care about TV or DVD, etc. Check it out here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/318-reviews/

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I just successfully re-edited the title above my Avatar. (I apologise for my careless mistake when updating the profile page a few days ago)

Also, it's good to see the original join date has returned.

Thanks for the much appreciated help Adam.

:3dglasses:

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I've been playing with adding friends, and now I have a red "1" there at the top bar. How do you acknowledge to make the badge go away? I like clearing my badges lol

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Congrats on the move! It looks (and runs) MUCH better then Huddler!
Unknown.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott Greczkowski said:
Congrats on the move! It looks (and runs) MUCH better then Huddler!

Way to go!
Thanks, Scott!

Hmmmm. Member since 1999 with 49 posts. A man of few words (about 3 1/2 posts per year)...but when you have something to say, it's on-the-mark! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Adam:

I have to use my email address to log in too. If I use my username I get the first time posting popup with the reset password
option. Even if I get the email to reset my password I still have to use my email address to log in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks