What's new

Wells shows me some love (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
One of my regular film column reading stops is Jeffrey Wells at Reel.com. He is good about getting back to readers and taking input from them, and he happens to write a damn fine column I think. Always interesting.
Well, he was discussing Memento, it's meanings, and the director's intent. I responded and it musta struck a chord because he put it in the column.
Does this count as extra credit for my film study course? :)
http://www.reel.com/reel.asp?node=movienews/confidential
Oh, I just noticed that he also included a couple of my suggestions on great movie beginnings, but he misplaced my name by then so it's credited to Wally Ballou. My fame didn't even last a few paragraphs before I was forgotten.
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Seth Paxton on September 10, 2001 at 12:00 AM]

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I consider myself a Memento junkie (I've seen the dang thing 9 times.. embarrassingly enough
wink.gif
.. but I read your comments then the article you commented on and saw this:
"I'd be surprised if Nolan even agreed to respond to whether certain elements in the film — the apparent discrepancies surrounding the writing down of Teddy's license number, for instance — were deliberate hints, or intentional but insignificant, or simply continuity errors."
Do any Memento junkies know what he's talking about? Where was there a discrepancy regarding the writing down of Teddy's license number?
I sense a 10th time coming on.
------------------

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Where was there a discrepancy regarding the writing down of Teddy's license number?
It's not the license plate number itself that's the discrepancy, it's the fact that he writes "Tattoo: Fact 6" on the paper as well. In that particular segment, Leonard hasn't seen his tattoos, nor should he know that he has 5 other facts.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Apologies for getting off topic, but I noticed this on my second viewing ( first home viewing ) -
Spoiler:
Teddy's license plate is SG13 7IU. This is plainly visible on the documents in Leonard's possession, supplied by Natalie; and matches the plates on Teddy's car as shown at the finale of the film. Leonard writes SG13 71U, or SGI3 7IU on his note. The point is, his note does not distinguish between the characters 1 and I. This is also observed on his tatoo which bears two characters that appear identical and could be interpreted as 1 or I characters ( although they both look like 1 to me. )
Seth, congrats on the coverage. Sounds like extra credit to me. :)
- Walter.
[Edited last by Walter Kittel on September 10, 2001 at 02:25 AM]

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Wells shows me some love
You know Seth, that topic is a bit misleading.
wink.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Seth,
From your quote in Wells' column:
That is, watching their concepts and intentions get mutated into some bastardization of what they where."
I assume that's a typo and should read "...what they wear." Right? :)
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks