What's new

Well Recorded Music (1 Viewer)

Jeff_King

Grip
I just picked up a set of paradigm speakers and I want to see what they can do. So I am looking for truely well recorded music. I am looking for well recorded live performances of big band music or orcestra type music maybe even some swing. Any sugestions as which recordings I should look into.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn
George Szell/London Symphony Orchestra
on EMI

Mahler: Symphony No.9
Christoph von Dohnanyi/The Cleveland Orchestra
on Decca

Hindemith: Orchestral Works
Wolfgang Sawallisch/The Philadelphia Orchestra
on EMI

Bruckner: Symphony No.8
Pierre Boulez/The Vienna Philharmonic
on DG

Magic!
Peter Richard Conte playing the John Wanamaker Organ (largets working organ in the world - 30,000 pipes - huge dynamic range)
on Dorian

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Bigg Phatt Band - Swinging for the Fences

Have not heard the CDversion, but the DVD-A version is very well done.

BGL

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Any of the Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle colaborations: What's New, Lush Life, For Sentimental Reasons. All available on CD & LP, and What's New is out on DVD-A. Studio though, not live.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I concur with the mentions of Mintzer and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band discs.

In addition, there was a new Telarc disc out that I haven't heard yet, it's on my "to listen to" stack.... The Jaco Pastorius Big Band Word of Mouth Revisited.

Regards,

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, most anyone who is familiar with my posts in this area of HTF knows that I'm a George Massenburg fan and it's therefore no surprise that I heartily second Julian's post #6 above.

Massenburg engineered and mixed all three of Ronstadt's recordings with Nelson Riddle (along with many of her other albums--I also recommend her Cuban jazz album, Frenesi).

Check out his list of work at All Music Guide. All of his stuff is phenomenal and his producing, recording and mixing discography ranges from Ronstadt to Flim & the BBs to Earth, Wind & Fire to Lyle Lovett to Herbie Hancock to James Taylor and on and on.

One small note:
. . . and What's New is out on DVD-A. Studio though, not live.
Although there is no audience present per se, these albums (done in the famous, large Studio A at The Complex here in West L.A.) were essentially recorded live, with Linda and the orchestra recorded at the same time.

Paul

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Although there is no audience present per se, these albums (done in the famous, large Studio A at The Complex here in West L.A.) were essentially recorded live, with Linda and the orchestra recorded at the same time.
I didn't know that. Thanks, Paul!

P.S. The Ronstadt/Riddle colaborations were the first LPs I ever bought where I was astounded by the sound. So much better than most LPs from that time period. I liked them so much that I bought them on LP (still have), CD, and now the first on DVD-A. I hope the rest are released on DVD-A soon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I second Linda Ronstadt Lush Life. It is excellent.

A definite bargain is the Buddy Rich The Best Band I Ever Had hybrid SACD. Best Buy normally sells it for $15.99, but it's $13.99 through the end of business today. Best Buy is having a $2-off sale on all SACDs and DVD-Audio discs this week. I picked up the Buddy Rich SACD yesterday, and both layers are excellent. If you have an SACD player, the SACD layer is a true pleasure.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Even though it's hard to classify this album as to what style it is (and it's not a live recording), I would have to recommend.........................

"Lyle Lovett and His Large Band".

Check it out! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks