What's new

Well, isn't anyone here excited about _Citizen Kane_? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I think it's due to the fact that UK suppliers (ie. Movietyme or Disc Emporium) don't have to keep to US street dates, so as soon as they get stock in, a few weeks before street date, they ship 'em out.
I certainly got The Wicker Man box set, The Rock: CC, Blood Simple and Spartacus: CC at least a week before street date.
I have even heard reports of UK viewers having already recieved The Simpsons set.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, like I stated earlier, this version of Kane is simply beautiful. However, I am concerned that with all of this new digital technology that there is a chance that minor details will be lost in the process. Upon closer inspection it does appear that in at least this one scene in the DVD, the digital remastering system mistook raindrops for grain, and erased them. It kinda takes you out of the scene as the scene is supposed to take place during a rainstorm (you can even hear thunder on the soundtrack), and the top 1/3 of the screen has rain falling. Glitches are to be expected, nothing is perfect, but this disc came soooo close if only for this one scene. I guess we should feel lucky that we have a version of Kane on DVD at all, much less this classy. Perhaps in the future, this one glitch can be corrected. :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Don't apologize for anything, Scott. The raindrops error is inexcusable, almost comparable to the dropped "I read you" line in "2001." Not quite that bad -- it's more comparable to the dropped Jet whistle after the "Tonight Chorus" sequence in "West Side Story."
I am still excited by this release, and I don't think it will exactly ruin it, but we're talking about an alteration to the film, inadvertant though it may be.
With the care that was lavished on this digital restoration, how could this happen? How could Warner and the production houses involved not have noticed this?
[Edited last by Brian W. on September 23, 2001 at 03:20 AM]

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I think we are excited, but there is little
to discuss. I mean, it is a great film, and people
who dare to complain about it are..well..asking for it.
The original elements have been restored, without
tinkering with them too much (those of you who
want 5.1 sound are not the "purists" you think you are),
and the extras are to die for.
But this movie is the most talked about film is
the history of cinema, and it is hard to discuss
it without the talk becoming "academic" very
quickly.
Plus, I suspect some of the forums most eager-
to-discuss-members are more amped when a recent
suckass film like Dungeons & Dragons
give their subwoofers a "good workout."
(That maybe an unfair comment, but it is based
on my own admittedly HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE observations.)
Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'm like a few of the others here. I've never seen it in its entirety. I have caught a snag of it here or there, but never top-to-bottom. OTOH, I know the answer to the riddle of "Rosebud", so I know that there's no suspense there, unfortunately.
frown.gif

Nevertheless, I will be picking up this title this week and viewing it as soon as I can. The film is a damn legend, and I couldn't very well call myself a film buff without checking it out, right? I suspect I will enjoy it immensely, but it's hard to be buzzed otherwise.
Honestly, I'm of course buzzed about The Simpsons, too...but it may surprise you to know that I'm more excited about When Worlds Collide than about Citizen Kane. WWC *is* one I've seen before, as often as I'd catch it on the late-late show or Sunday-morning TBS or whatever. It was never on often enough for me. It's a SciFi classic beyond compare, and I am VERY excited that I'll finally own my very own copy and can watch it as often as I like. In fact, earlier this month I bought "The Day The Earth Caught Fire", and I've been saving it so I can pair these up for a great double feature!! :)
I'm a sick Trekkie-boy, I know it.
alien.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I pre-ordered this months ago and I'm excited!
Lowry's first restoration, NxNW, looks fantastic, so I have no doubt that Kane will look the best it can be. I'm hoping they did the restoration at film resolution so that the restored version can be kept through alternate negatives.
I hope WB assigns Around the World in Eighty Days, the WB cartoons, the Popeye cartoons, and Ben-Hur (silent version) to Lowry Digital Images. Lowry really has a great restoration system that deserves compliments.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'll look out for this edition - if it's cheap enough I'll grab it.
The only time I had a chance to watch CK on TV I was interrupted by a phone call and missed a large chunk of the middle (so I too had the Rosebud thing 'spoiled' in a sense).
What I saw seemed a good movie but not an exceptional movie. I get the impression, particularly from Dwayne's statement, that a lot of its legend comes from filming styles that now seem common place to us. I'm not sure if this still means it is fantastic.
To take an example, a lot of Star Wars' impressiveness came from what were, at the time, unbelievable special effects. They still look pretty good now but if you showed this to a 13 year old who'd never seen it I doubt they'd find it much more than an average Sci-Fi action movie. Good for them - the first rule of moving society forward is not to respect things purely because you parents did, IMHO.
So I'll be interested to see Citizen Kane and find out if it's fantastic movie or just a good movie with a large amount of hype from the days when it first came out.
Theo
[Edited last by TheoGB on September 23, 2001 at 08:49 AM]

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Does anyone know how and where the Citizen Kane negative was destroyed in a fire? Surely it wasn't in Welles' possession at the time his home in Spain burned. And I'm pretty sure Hearst never got ahold of it!
------------------
Michael Boyd

James D S

Screenwriter
Hell yeah I'm excited.
I'll be at my local Best Buy when they open the doors and I'm gonna make a bee-line for it. I can't wait. This is the one of those premiere titles I've been waiting for all year. (Godfather I&II being others)
I'm excited about those commentaries, if anything else!
[Edited last by James D S on September 23, 2001 at 09:11 AM]

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, I going to get Citzen Kane for sure this weekend. I have never seem it before, but that a good thing, as the impact of the movie will be greater.

Adam_H

Auditioning
I was excited about the release.
Yep, because NOW I own it!!!! Thank God I lve in NYC and get almost anything before the release date. I was anticipating Citizen Kane and Friday the 13th release I couldnt wait 'till tuesday.
I havent watched it yet in its entirely because now its sunday and I have football to watch but monday afternoon for sure! From the few chapters I checked out it looks great, very clean and 1950's looking. Im sure you've all read other reviews by now so I wont restate the obvious.
One bit of bad news tho, you know those stickers with the metal strips on the bottom, well I dunno if they are all like this but mines had a white one inside! inside the middle to make it worse. It has the clear plastic so you could see it plain as day and near impossible to take it out without a knife and scrapping the carboard backing.
BTW its a fold out in case you don't know what kind of DVD case Im talking about.
Ahh well...

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Bah, I'll wait until they release a widescreen version.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I've got it on order at Amazon and can't wait to see it an dvd.
I was watching "Ed Wood" on STARZ the other day and enjoyed the scene where Ed goes into a bar and meets Orson Welles. Orson complains to Ed that the Studio's want him to cast Charlton Heston as a Mexican
laugh.gif
great to see Welles greatest movie finally on dvd.
JohnG
patriot.gif

------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched this movie for the first and only time yet on the German DVD in spring. I loved that movie.
My copy is on pre-order and I'm definitely excited.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Like many others I can't really say that I'm excited. I've never really watched the movie, although I know all about it and it's 'backstage' story. I'll get it when it comes out, but I'm not over-the-wall crazy and excited.
I guess the reason why so many are not excited is because this movie has been around for such a long time that few (aside from true film-buffs) have really seen it enough to fall in love with it.
It's easier to get excited about movies which are more recent in your memory.
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I think the excitement was probably dampered by the August release of Maniac. Maniac is such a hard act to follow that not even Citizen Kane can compete.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

In spite of my current miserable financial mess, I too intend to invite Mr. Kane into my home.
------------------
"Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!"

350+ Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm with you, Jasen.... I'll pick up KANE tomorrow, and if I'm broke afterwards, I just won't eat for a few days!
And for the record, my undying love for this film has nothing whatsoever to do with film buff hype. It's a brilliant, intricately constructed masterpiece that gets better with each viewing.
------------------
My collection:
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=Kriegersaurus

Rod Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rod
I too am jazzed about CK. Back in 1997, I was cash-strapped, but wanted to get into DVD. I made a deal with my wife that we would not buy a DVD player until at least one of three specific movies came out, Citizen Kane being one of them. Luckily, Brazil came out in 1998 and we were able to take huge advantage of the fantastic DVD deals that existed in 1998-2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks