What's new

Well, i bought a Toshiba (pics inside) (1 Viewer)

Daniel Hawl

Agent
You may or may not have seen my other posts where i went back and forth between tvs and speakers, but I decided on a 57" Toshiba Cinema series. Out the door with a 5 year warranty it was $2300, not a bad deal I think.

http://www.thebluepen.com/ht/ for pictures.

Since I haven't had time to really calibrate the picture is a little short of stunning, but I am going to devote a lot of time to it and hopefully I do everything right.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on what to purchase, I appreciate it!

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Keep us updated on how calibration and break in is coming Daniel. I just got the same set except in 51".

I'm noticing a little bit more grain then I would like. Hopefully after breaking in this will subside and I'll have a more sharper clearer picture. It's pretty good right now but I'm just expecting a little more.

I've calibrated the 9 point convergence and have used the AVIA disc to do the settings. Does anyone know anything else I should do or know about?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Daniel,

Congrats! I have had a great experience w/ my Toshiba RPTV. Two and a half years ago, I bought a Tosh 65H80 and I love it. I had it professionally calibarated after the break in period and the picture is consistently stunning. You'll enjoy it. Great TV for the money!

Peace,

DM

PS - Remove the glare screen if you can. You'll love the results.

Daniel Hawl

Agent
I would remove the screen but my 16 month old would have a field day and probably send both of us to an early grave.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did the 56pt convergence last night but it still needs a lot of tweaking and is still in the break in period.

What's a general rule for time periods when it comes to breaking in a RPTV?

david*mt

Second Unit
Daniel, is the 56pt convergence difficult to do? How much time does it take? I have a 42H83 and my try to do it if I can figure out how.

Adam Hood

Auditioning
Daniel, what kind of signal are you running to the TV when you see the dot crawl. Digital Cable, Satellite, DVD? And what type of cable are you using to hook them up to the TV?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Question from a hopefully soon-to-be Toshiba RPTV owner...

I have specifically stayed away from watching a movie on a nice 16:9 set, since I knew once I did I'd hock everything I owned to get one! :D

Because of that I've never seen a 2.35:1 image displayed on a 16:9 set. Obviously you have to have some letterboxing on 2.35:1 displayed 16:9, but I was really surprised at the size of the bars when I checked out the pic linked above of Attack Of The Clones on Daniel's new set. I was using a TV Calculator found Link Removed, and it says on a 57" 16:9 set, the viewing area for 2.35:1 is approx. 49.7 in. x 21.1 in. It also stated the viewing are for native mode (1.78:1) is 49.7 in. x 27.9 in. Given that info, I assume the physical screen height is about 28 inches. Since the display height for 2.35:1 is supposedly 21 inches, that would seem to indicate that the bars should occupy approx. 25% of the screen for 2.35:1. In Daniel's picture, the bars look to be occupying almost 40% of the screen.

Can anyone comment on this? Let me say that I am a steadfast OAR believer, and this is merely a curiosity. I watch the movie, not the bars! Just curious about how big the image will look overall for 2.35:1. The purchase of a 16:9 set for me is inevitable.

And Daniel, congrats on the purchase!

Daniel Hawl

Agent
David : It was not hard to do at all, just a little time consuming to get it how I liked it.

Adam : I am running a Digital cable signal to my tv with S video, but I think the coaxial that my apartment is wired with is very old and in very dire condition, so I'm not too keen on the signal as it is allready.

Dajaga : As someone else stated, it's Star Wars, Attack of the Clones.

Andrew : Interesting observation, and I too am interested in that. I wouldn't say they are taking up 40% of my viewing area, but certainly they are taking up more than 25%

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Daniel,

I checked out a few pictures of HTF member theaters that were displaying a 2.35:1, and it did look a bit different.

Here's a link to Jon Long's HT:

HT Example

In the second pic, Jon is displaying The Fifth Element, which is 2.35:1 just like Attack Of The Clones. Several other pics I saw of 2.35:1 looked similar to Jon's pic.

I'm not trying to imply I think anything is wrong with your set-I'm a newbie at 16:9 sets. Again I was just surprised to the see the difference. Could this be the result of a zoom out or low overscan %?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Andrew. It looks as if the DVD player in Daniel's setup may be set to 4:3 instead of widescreen. My bars for 2.35:1 are not near as large on my widescreen. The bars on Daniels screen look like the same vertical percentage as those for 2.35:1 on a 4:3 screen, hence my suspicions.

Daniel, you may want to check your setup on the DVD player and makes sure you are set to 16:9. Then set your TV to "full". If you did not do this after changing from a 4:3 display, you are most definately displaying a 4:3 based picture. If this is the case, wait till you see a true anamorphic picture, it will blow you away.

Chris Nauert

Auditioning
I can't put pics or links on here yet....but the bars on the Toshiba pics are definitely bigger than they are supposed to be when displaying a 2.35 anamorphic DVD. Hope you find a way to use all those square inches you paid for!!

Scott Miller

Agent
I've got the same TV in 50" and love it. Unfortunately, just yesterday I noticed in one corner it looks like I've got moisture behind the screen! Any ideas what would cause that? Don't have any humidity problem in the house. Is there an easy way for me to get to the back of the screen or is it time to call in the warranty folks? Got it in January. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks