What's new

Welcome to our new Satellite Radio Area (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
With the popularity of Satellite radio we have decided to add this new area to the forum. As always all forum rules will be enforced in this new area as well.

Enjoy!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wow very nice.
hopefully i'll find something here eventually that will convince me to get sta radio.
right now i just can't see adding another monthly payment to listen to the radio.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Cool Third post in here

I need a couple of these things because the radio stations here in mid-Kansas suck

Brent_H

Second Unit
i have had XM for over a year now and I love it. i dont use it very much actually, cause I still prefer cds, but its nice to have at my disposal whenever i feel like it. problem is, I just got a different car, and it will cost $60+ to get it reinstalled, which I don't want to pay for! so now I am trying to figure out how to put it in myself....ohwell...

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Right now, I have the Delphi SkyFi System integrated into my home as well as my car. I went the hard wired approach in my car via the Aux. inputs via my head unit, and couldn't be happier. XM sounds much better then your standard FM music, and a tad under CD quality. I guess you could make a case that it's on par with a top quality MP3 recordings. I also did first try the Fm Modulator, and quickly switched over to the direct approach. Sounds much better.

So far, I am in love with the XM service, and find the stations to be far more exciting, and have a personality of their own, compared to boring FM. This almost reminds me of what radio used to be like 15 years ago and back.....

The up side tp the Delphi package is you may take that small receiver , and plug the unit into a home cradle, and listen through your Stereo, via a small Antenna.. This is where the unit really shines... Imagine running this config through your stellar Home Theater Setup, where you have good money invested in your top quality Home Theater components.. EWW!!! It's sounds sweet!!! I recommend this to all, and Welcome to this new area....

I look forward to my fellow administrator, RAF to contribute in this area. I know he has the Delphi System, as well as HTF CO/Owner Ron Epstein has the Delphi as well as a hard wired unit in his auto, so this area should be exciting.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my XM for approaching a year as well, and got the original Sony unit with the home kit. I love listening to Cinemagic through my HT! I have since upgraded the home unit to the new PCR and I LOVE it! In fact, I think I'll go start another thread on it...

This is a great topic -- thanks!

I'd love to pick up a satellite radio for home use (I don't spend a lot of time in the car), but must admit I've got reservations before I go out and plunk down the two hundred or so bucks to set it up.

My main concern is reception. I live in Brooklyn, NY, in a garden apartment, and I don't have very much outdoor space for an antenna. (In fact, my cell phone is almost unusable in this space.) I guess my question is whether or not it's reasonable for me to expect any kind of reception at all given the lack of open sky near my home.

Does anyone here have experience with urban home satellite radio? Or will I be listening to the BBC World Service on my computer until I move to Montana?

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
You can check out XMFans.com to see where the repeaters are (basically retransmits the satellite signal in large cities where the satellite signal get's blocked). I know there are some in NY, but I don't know what the coverage is.

Also, you might want to consider this as it gets you into XM for only $69 for the hardware. And if you have a laptop, it works in the car as well...

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have since upgraded the home unit to the new PCR and I LOVE it
Newbie XM question. What's a PCR? I am interested in Satellite radio but only for the home because i only really listen to AM Talk in the car. I would like to hook it up to my HT system. Any info for a newbie is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dalton

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just checking in. Yes, as Steve Simon mentioned, I'm also an XManiac and have the Delphi SkyFi unit. Rather than adapting it for the new car I will be getting in the fall (a 2004 Acura MDX) I'm going to install a hard-wired unit. The main reason for this is that XM now offers a "family plan" where if you already subscribe with one receiver at $9.95/month the second through fifth receiver cost you a little under $7/month each.

To me, XM is valuable enough for me that I don't mind paying a little extra each month for the convenience.

And for my other car (a 1995 Impala SS which I drive very rarely) I'm going to install a PIE adapter (like Steve did, I believe) which allows me to connect my SkyFi unit directly to the electronics of my car radio. From what I've heard, the cassette interface is a notch lower in sound quality (but still O.K.) and FM modulation (the "wireless" solution) is even lower quality. So adding a car adapter to my SS satisfies my XM Jones when cruising in The Beast without incurring additional monthly fees.

Now if they can work out a deal to carry Howard Stern....

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

:D

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
The XM PCR (PC Receiver) is a USB XM device that connects to your computer. The computer acts as the interface for changing channels, and it has a lot of neat features. The sound still comes from a standard Line Out mini jack, so I skip plugging it into the computer and go directly into my receiver for great sound. Check out the link I posted a couple posts above for more details.

I'll post screen shots tomorrow if I remember to take some, but I believe the above link should have some adequate screen shots as well...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm glad you guys set up this new area. I haven't purchased a car yet, so I have no use for a sat radio as of yet, but the more I hear about Sirius, the more I like it, no, make that love it. Let me just make a list

No Commercials!
Better sounding audio - less compressed than XM
Wide variety of News stations (compared to XM)
No Corporate playlists - (XM funded by clearchannel)
Three satalleits in orbit - (Compared to XM's two) limiting the need for as many repeaters.

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
I've had Sirius in my car now for exactly 17 hours and I love it! NO commercials! NONE! Not even one! Tee hee, makes me giddy just thinking about it. I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow knowing I don't have to listen to the stupid new "Bob & Sherri in the Morning" radio program the one station around here that used to play music during my commute now runs. I swear I was adding it up the other day and in the 1/2 hour - 45 mins. it takes me to drive to work I got to hear between 7-8 mins. of actual music. And I have FOUR preset FM stations to choose from! The rest of the programming was all commercials, DJs blabbering about whatever came to mind--most of which wasn't even coherent, or morning talk radio shows where some idiot calls in to win the prize of the day for having the best story to tell about "how I married a bonehead." (I'm not making that up--every morning there are three contestants for the prize.)

I am thrilled that at the last minute I added the Sat. radio to my purchase yesterday (which also included a head unit, speakers, wiring, & install), and will probably spend 95% of my time listening to it & my CDs instead of FM radio from now on.

Now if I could only get the speakers to sound like I want them to! They sound so "harsh" (is that the way to phrase it? ) that at any type of volume they hurt my ears. Whistling s's & such. Anyone have any suggestions? I've turned the treble down, which helped some, but not enough. I honestly don't know much about this type of thing, but if I can't fix this, they'll have to go back!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.