What's new

Welcome back to the Advanced/DIY section! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd get the ball rolling again in this section.
Hopefully by this weekend, I will get some pix/thoughts together and share my latest project, a set of 2.5-way speakers.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
I'll bite... what's a 2.5 way speaker? Is this a two-way with 5 subwoofers, or a three way where the sound of one of the drivers only goes half way to the listener? :)
P.S. How is it possible that I signed up before you, but you have more 16 time more posts than I do? :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's like a 3-way speaker, but it has a tweeter to handle frequencies from 2000Hz to 20000Hz. It has a full midwoofer that goes from 50Hz to 2000Hz, and it was another midwoofer that's considered the 0.5 midwoofer because it only goes from 50Hz to around 500Hz. This is to compensate for what called the baffle step loss in the bass area around 500Hz and below because bass/low frequencies tends to radiate all around (in 4 pi space), while the higher frequencies tend to radiate from its spot on the baffle and outwards (in 2 pi space). It allows for a more smoother bass response while maintaining a higher overall sensitivity for the speaker.
As for the post thing...dunno... :)
------------------

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds interesting.... I don't recall ever seeing this design commercially. Do manufacturers usually try to make up for it by using different speaker pairs or crossover designs--or do they not bother to correct this at all?
...And I know why there's a difference in the number of posts.... :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, many are using the MTM design (Midwoofer-Tweeter-Midwoofer), and probably do some baffle step compensation in that manner. But in the TM design, there needs to be some baffle step compensation so that the tweeter doesn't overwhelm the single midwoofer and make it sound too bright.
Mine will be a TMM design, which will look like a conventional 3-way TMW design (tweeter-midrange-woofer).
------------------

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Pat,
My last final is Saturday. I'll be sober and back among the living shortly thereafter.
Mark

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
David, it still looks the same. I am contemplating popping in a different tweeter to match upcoming new speakers.
Mark, no hurry, I've been going at a snail's pace with the box construction, but I hope to glue up the panels of one of the boxes tonight. I sort of mucked up the 1st front baffle's tweeter hole (too big), but the 2nd one looks pretty good. I have to borrow my friend's big router for the 3/4" roundover this weekend.
------------------

Scott M

Agent
The Paradigm Ref Studio 60 is a 2-1/2(2.5) way design.
Of course it's a tower and not a center but I've got it on the brain...
------------------
-scott

BruceD

Screenwriter
I seem to remember a system with a tweeter, a mid-woofer, and a passive radiator (instead of a port) also being called a 2.5 system. Have you heard that?

Charlie G

Grip
The Klipsch reference center (RC-3) is 2.5 way. Also, the entire new Klipsch reference line (RF-5, RF-7, RC-7, etc...) are all 2.5 way.
Charlie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks