What's new

Weird problem with new Sony STR-DN840 (1 Viewer)

Frogbrong

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hey guys, I guess I'd be considered a big newb, and I have a weird problem I'm hoping to get some feedback on, because Sony CS is supremely unhelpful. I have a brand new STR-DN840, and I have my cable box and blu-ray player hooked up by HDMI, and then I have output going to my TV via HDMI as well. The sound is fine (as far as my ear can tell), but when I first turn on the receiver after it has been off for a while and switch to the cable or blu-ray player, often there is a problem with the picture. Forgive me for not being able to describe it very well, but the picture looks scratchy, kind of like if an old analog tv signal wasn't coming in very clear. Sort of. This problem actually resolves itself pretty quickly (within a minute or 2) without me doing anything, but there is a second problem that doesn't go away quite so easily. The color is off. It's darker, and sort of greenish sometimes. This problem is fixed after I cycle the receiver on and off several times, but it's driving me crazy. What in the world could be going on in there?

Frogbrong

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
If that were the reason, I would be confused as to why cycling the receiver on and off fixes the problem. Also, when I am having the problem with my cable box, I am also having the problem with my blu-ray player, and when the color is fine on my cable box, the color is also fine on the blu-ray player. In any case, on my blu-ray player, I have the YCbCr/RGB set to auto, and the HDMI Deep Color Output is also set to auto.

Frogbrong

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
The options were auto, YCbCr 4:2:2, YCbCr 4:4:4, or RGB. The Deep Color Output options were auto, 16-bit, 12-bit, 10-bit, and off. The problem only happens when the receiver has been off for a while, almost like it needs to warm up. If it is a ground loop, which i'm assuming is some sort of electrical problem, would that be something a typical warranty should cover?

Frogbrong

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Ok, I'm sort of starting to think that maybe the problem is with my TV instead. And when I was turning the receiver on and off, the tv was also getting turned on and off, and that's what was fixing the problem. Still flummoxed as to the cause though. Might be the excuse i was looking for to upgrade my tv. It's been more than 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks