What's new

Weird problem. Please read (1 Viewer)

David Taylor

Agent
My dad has an older Pioneer pro logic receiver. Every time a movie (either on VHS or DVD) hits a really loud noise (like a gunshot), the receiver turns itself off. Any ideas?

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Check to make sure you don't have any shorts in the speaker wires (i.e. positive and negative making contact with eachother). The same thing was happening to my parents Kenwood and that was the problem.

David Taylor

Agent
Yeh. I was thinking that as well. They have a stupid cat that is always chewing on stuff. I'll give that a whirl. Seems kinda weird that it'd only happen on very LOUD noises. Maybe not--I'm not an electrical engineer.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
if the wires check out then swap the speakers. bring your pair to your dad's place for a test. perhaps the crossover or a driver has a problem. if it's still misbehaving then it's he receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Seems kinda weird that it'd only happen on very LOUD noises.
This is because loud sounds, especially if they have a lot of bass, demand more current and make the receiver work harder. You can re-create the problem by putting on a bass-heavy CD and turning the volume up loud.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks