Weird noise from hard drive!?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Patrick Young, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Patrick Young

Patrick Young Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Every once in a while my computers hard drive will make this weird almost screeching noise.

Kind of like screech, screech, screech stop. Then start doing all over again in quick succession. And it is totally random as to time or what I am doing. When I look at the performance monitor. It shows no change.

I have a Dell Dimension l566cx. Running windows 2000sp4.

Any help and or guesses would be appriciated.

Pat

2. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

It's probably not what you want to hear, but I'd say backup the drive and be prepared for it to fail sometime in the near future. In general, any kind of noise from a hard drive (other than the usual "crunch" of searching for/accessing data) is a bad thing. But start with a solid backup, then run some diagnostics (the basics, such as chkdsk, are built into Win 2K) .. if you have any more advanced tools at your disposal, couldn't hurt to try them too .... it might turn out to be a few bad sectors, which (while not great) would probably be the best you could hope for. If that is the case and you defrag and re-format, it should avoid those sectors.

Bryan

3. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

I'd consider it dead. I had one make what I descibed at the time as a screeching noise, and it was non-functional almost immediately. If you have time to back up the data, consider yourself lucky!

4. Patrick Young

Patrick Young Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I don't even have a burner on this thing. I might have to go out and get one as we have alot of Pictures on it and I have another computer sitting here with an ok hard drive but the MB is bad. The computer I am using is a spare from my dad's office.

Well looks like its time for a new PC.[​IMG]

Not exactly in the budget as I was planning on buying a new sub tomorrow. Oh well my wife might let me get both since she wanted a new pc anyway.[​IMG]

Thanks again, Pat

5. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    Pop the HD from the bad PC into this and move things over.