What's new

weird HALLOWEEN s.e. video observation (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
this is the only new-ish 16:9 transfer that i've seen this with (other than Me Myself and Irene), but the HALLOWEEN special edition, while being generally a VERY good transfer, has some strange "jaggies" and moire effects, especially in the daylight shots with house sidings and car grills looking like an anamorphic downcovert (while overall detail still seems fine)....is this just my tv or what?

i am running progressive scan, also.

WilliamJI

Grip
No, you are not the only one who noticed this. I am running progressive scan on my Mitsubishi 55809 55" set and these "artifacts" are very appearent on my set as well. Also, I notice the image on this dvd overall to be very "soft" with both medium and long-range shots appearing to be quite "fuzzy", almost to the point of being slightly out of focus except on very close-up shots. This is particularly obvious in the walking scenes with Laurie and her two friends being followed through the streets by MM. VERY distracing and frustrating, IMO. This is the first time I have experienced this type of "fuzziness" on my set, so I think it is the dvd (at least on my set-up.) Anyone else experience excessive "softness" to the image on this dvd on bigger widescreen sets?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Interesting, and scary. I was going to get this release but am now a bit aprehensive about it. How does it compare to the transfer on the LE which is what I have now?

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
The Limited Edition disc 1 and current Special Edition of Halloween are identical. Disc 2 of the Limited Edition is the currently available Television Version. The only thing that was limited about that release is the hologram cover and double amaray case. :D
Gregory

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If you have the Laser, then you should consider waiting until next year for Anchor's 25th Anniversay Edition with DTS 6.1, commentary, and more. :)
Gordy

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I was just going to mention the Criterion LD. If you think the jaggies are bad on the anamorphic DVD transfer, you should check out the LD. Yowza.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
If you think the jaggies are bad on the anamorphic DVD transfer, you should check out the LD. Yowza.
Agreed, but one of the best audio commentaries ever made is on the Criterion laserdisc, though. :)
Has anyone heard anything new about the Anchor Bay rerelease in 2003?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I noticed these Jaggies on Halloween as well but it was the 16:9 downconversion that did it for me, since I don't have a WEGA I used the "squeeze trick" to avoid the downconversion and I don't see these artifacts anymore.
Since then (three years ago) I have bought a DVD player that has a better method for downconverting the 16:9 enhanced signal and I don't generally have to use the squeeze method any more to avoid these artifacts..

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Is the Halloween Unmasked featurette supposed to be windowboxed in a widescreen frame? Or do I have it on the wrong setting? (I'm viewing on a 4x3 RPTV with Squeeze Feature engaged.)
I think the documentary is anamorphic, but it's in 4x3 form (hence the side bars)...correct?
Because, while in "Normal" (or full) mode, it doesn't look right. It's squished.
Also......I was comparing the Unmasked feature (which runs 27 min. on DVD) to the same special on the VHS 2-disc SE. The VHS runs just 15 minutes, with an added 12 minutes of scenes used for TV version.
I cannot find the TV deleted stuff anywhere on the DVD. Seems odd for a VHS version to contain MORE than the DVD variant.
Could they possibly be there as an Easter Egg?
Anyone know?
Thanks.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The HALLOWEEN: UNMASKED doc is actually taking advantage of a little-used part of the DVD spec, Pan and Scan on the fly. If your DVD player is set to 4x3 LB instead of 16x9, it actually runs fullscreen. I have a WEGA and use the "squeeze trick" as well and noticed the windowboxing.

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot find the TV deleted stuff anywhere on the DVD. Seems odd for a VHS version to contain MORE than the DVD variant.
Anchor Bay included the TV footage (which was shot specifically for television) on an extended cut disc, which also includes all of the stuff cut from television viewings. This disc was Disc Two of the Limited Edition set, and Anchor Bay released it separately as the Extended Edition last year. The TV footage is not included as an Easter Egg on the Restored disc.

That said, you may want to wait until Anchor Bay releases final specs for the upcoming 25th Anniversary Edition. I doubt the Extended Edition will be on it, but they could include the television footage as an extra.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
With the 25th Anniversary Edition on the horizon, I will own the Anchor Bay VHS (circa 1998), Criterion LD, Anchor Bay SE DVD, Anchor Bay LE DVD, and now the 25th Ann. Edition DVD.
...THE BASTARDS! :D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I could live with the jaggies on the NTSC remastered Halloween dvd, in fact I don't even notice 'em that much. But the NTSC-->PAL downconversion on the 2-disc PAL set (Anchor Bay UK didn't use/have PAL masters) makes the jaggies look even worse. That new set had better be worth it!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeez Matt, it sounds like your Anchor Bays own personal ATM when it comes to this title! ;)
Don't sweat it, i'm not much better off, I have the AB widescreen vhs in the clamshell case, the LE dvd, and the regular dvd, plus i'll be getting this new one too. I really regret missing the boat on that Criterion LD though. :frowning:
When does this new edition come out anyway? I'm guessing around Halloween right?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I hear you, John. Not to mention the plethora of other titles from their catalog that I've bought multiple times. I'm not mad though....I'd rather have a multiple releases than no releases at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks