What's new

Weird geometry problem with old Mits. HDTV...please help! (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. Earlier this year, my father gave me an old Mitsubishi 46" widescreen HDTV (I believe the model number is either WT-46805 or WT-46807...the TV's manufacturing date was sometime in 2001). Recently, the TV has been distorting the picture upon power-up so the picture looks "concave"...that is, the top and the bottom of the picture are bent inward. This also creates some ghosting effects. Usually it stops after a few minutes, but sometimes I have to turn the TV off and then on again to get it to display properly. I also have it hooked up to Dish Network (regular package, not HD). Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and if so, can you please explain it in as non-technical a way as possible (I'm not very good with in-depth tech stuff)? It seems weird to me that a TV that's only 4 years old would be having problems already. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That sounds like the same problem I had with my 55" Mitsubishi. The solder joints on the convergence panel went bad, and they had to be re-soldered. It will only get worse, by the way. This is a known problem with some Mitsubishi's.

Clint B

Second Unit
Thanks, Jim. That sounds like it could be a big deal. It obviously involves opening the set. Who would I get to do this and how much would it cost, if that is indeed my problem?

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Contact Mitsubishi and they should be able to give you a list of authorized repair people in your area. As for cost... I don't know and honestly don't want to think about it! But, since you got the TV for free, it's probably not a bad deal in the long run. Certainly cheaper than buying a new one. If it's a known problem, maybe you just have to pay for the labor?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't know what the repair would cost. Mine was covered under the extended warranty so it was free. But he was only at my house for about an hour.

Nathan A

Second Unit
My Mitz had the same problem. At first it would correct itself after a minute or two, but after a couple of weeks it basically became permanent. It's the Convergence ICs (there are two of them; I think they run between $30-50 each). I researched here and on another forum and found that most people were either able to fix it themselves or get it fixed for around $250. The Home Theater Spot has a step by step guide for paid members, so if you're handy you could try that. Since I'm not I decided to get it repaired. The repairman recommended that I replace them instead of resolder them, stating that if they were resoldered then they could go out in the future and I would have to pay again for it to be fixed.

Some people have had luck getting Mitz to help with the repair (like paying for the cost of labor); maybe it depends on how polite/firm you are when you contact them and what mood the employee who responds is in. I dunno. I'd personally recommend sending a letter or fax rather than talking with a phone employee.

Sorry 'bout your set; I know firsthand what a bummer it can be. The repairman recommended that I mount a PC fan over the back exhaust panel to help with cooling so that it doesn't happen again. I haven't opened the panel to check, but I'm assuming there's some kind of circuit/mother board to plug it in to.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
my 46805 started doing this the other day.. anyone have a copy of that step by step on how to re solder whatever you have to do on the convergence board? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks