What's new

Weird effect when viewing image on my Sony projector.. Ideas? (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I don't know if it is my eyes that aren't focusing fast enough, or wether the image itself DOES in fact does blur, but when watching a DVD on my 400Q I find that the image softens considerably when there is fast, sweeping vertical or horizontal movement taking place on the screen. It improves immediately when the action stops.

Is it my eyes that are the problem? Has anyone else noticed this?

If's not my eyes, how can I improve this, and what is the root of the problem? Would a progressive-scan DVD player help? Or something else?

Thanks!

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Doug,

Is this an LCD projector by any chance?
If so, the artifacts youre seeing are typical. It's due to the LCD technology itself, as the tft panels that make up the image have a slow "decay rate". It's just something you have to live with if you use LCD....I'm not sure of anything you can do to minimize it...

-Ryan

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Yes, it is. Oh well.

It's still a damn good picture for the $3,000 I paid a couple years back. Just now and then the effect I mention is really noticable (protracted battle scenes, etc.).

I was just wondering if upgrading to a progressive scan projector like the HS-10, and a DVD player with the prog. scan would improve things.

Thanks Ryan!

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, since LCD's are progressive output by nature, all 480i interlaced stuff that you send it (DVD, VHS, TV, etc) gets upconverted to whatever the native resolution of the projector is (1024x768 for example). So basically, the image gets scaled and deinterlaced in order to be viewed.

Having a progressive scan DVD player would offer 3-2 pulldown detection as a deinterlacing method, which could actually clean up the image a bit, since your LCD projector probably doesn't incorporate a nice deinterlacing algorithm. Your projector probably uses some form of "bob" deinterlacing, which doesnt produce as nice results as adaptive deinterlacing or 3-2 (film) mode deinterlacing.

The image is still going to get scaled by your projector no matter what, but having the deinterlacing done by a good progressive scan dvd player would still help a bit.

-Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks