What's new

Wega KV-27FS100L 16:9 mode component problem (1 Viewer)

mike_crj

Auditioning
I just purchased a new Sony Wega KV-27FS100L from Best Buy. When viewing an anamorphic DVD in 16:9 mode through the component inputs, several fine flickering horizontal lines appear in the picture, particularly visible on white backgrounds. Sometimes a black line is quite visible in the middle of the screen. This flickering is not present when the DVD player is connected using the s-video input or RCA input. I have tried two different DVD players (Toshiba SD-1600U and SD-1800U) and both exhibit the same problem. I have tried two different component cables (Monster Cable MV1CV-2M and Acoustic Research AP090) and both exhibit the same problem.

Non-anamorphic DVDs play fine through the component cables (unless the TV is set to 16:9 which it should not be). Anamorphic DVDs play fine when the DVD player is set to 4:3 mode and the TV is not in 16:9 mode. The flickering horizontal lines are not present on anamorphic DVDs when the DVD player is set to 16:9 mode, until the TV is set to 16:9 mode (which it should be).

I have tried connecting only the component cable and removing all other inputs from the TV and DVD player, but that had no effect. I think I have isolated the problem to the component inputs and the TV 16:9 mode combination. I accessed the service menu and tried adjusting the values for the 16:9 items, but that had no effect. Should I try some other setting in the service menu, have a Sony technician look at the TV, exchange the TV, or return the TV and try a Toshiba instead? Thanks for your help.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Hard to imagine this being normal under any circumstances, but have you tried more than one 16x9 DVD?

Since this is a fairly 'portable' set, I'd return it in a heartbeat.

I own a 27" WEGA as well, but now I'd be tempted to get the 32" Zenith HD 4:3 for around $800.

mike_crj

Auditioning
I exchanged this set for another and it too is exhibiting the exact same problem. I thought my previous set was defective. Since my last post I had the opportunity to try the set with a new Panasonic DVD player, but that did not help. The problem is with all DVDs. It is particularly apparent with Austin Powers 2. The DVD menu is set against a solid white background. The picture looks fine until I set the TV to 16:9 mode and then all of the flickering horizontal lines appear along with two very prominent lines in the middle of the screen. I am really at a loss.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Frank, I'll temp you even more :) CompUSA in their stores & on their website have the 32 Inch JVC HDTV with the DVI Input for $829.96 & 99 Cent Shipping on orders over $299.00
At CompUSA's price I'd take the JVC over the Zenith any day.

Mike, If your not happy with the FS100 for a little more money I think (I don't know what you paid for the Sony?) CompUSA also has the JVC 2-Tuner P-I-P Top Of The Line JVC Analog set model AV-32FA54 for $ 499.99 & you can turn "ON/OFF" the SVM on it but you can't on the Toshiba. The JVC also has a one year Labor warranty compared to Sony & Toshiba's 90 day Labor warranty. I've seen this JVC model go for as high as $899.99

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Instead of trying to sell Mike on another set, let's try to help him with his problem.

As for the flickering lines, I'm not so certain what, exactly, you are seeing. But before anything else, how are the DVD players themselves set up? Have you gone into the setup menu and selected the "16:9" output option?

Also, just how high are the contrast and brightness settings?

James D

Second Unit
This is a very common problem with this model. I found a fix on another website that worked for me, but others claimed that it didn't fix the problem. You might want to give it a shot, but be very careful because you'll have to go into the service menu. I suggest that you write down all of the factory settings before making any changes in the service menu. This should take about 30 minutes. Here is the link- http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic....12217&forum=25
Good luck.

mike_crj

Auditioning
James, thanks for the link. However, I came across that link before and that didn't solve my problem. It made the 16:9 picture larger and re-centered it on the screen, but had no effect on the flickering.

Jack, the DVD player is set to 16:9 mode. The picture mode on the TV is set to Standard with velocity modulation scanning turned off. I adjusted the brightness and sharpness and that had no effect.

The strange thing is that the problem is with the component inputs only, not the s-video or composite. I've tried three different component cables so it's not a bad cable, unless I need to try a better quality cable.

I'll try to figure out if there's a way of taking a picture of the screen so that you guys can see what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the help.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Mike,

You've had this set for over month now and it still doesn't work.

How long can you keep it before BB won't do a return on it?

I'd hate to see you get stuck with a TV that can't use the component video jacks...

If you do return it, check out Circuit City, they have been price dropping the Zenith HD direct-views.

At this point, prog scan HD is the way to go.

Edit-1: OK, just read you exchanged the first TV recently, so that resets the 'return clock'. Good move.

Edit-2: Since the players you tried were both Toshiba, maybe testing another brand would be in order?

mike_crj

Auditioning
I have been going through the service menu and I ran across DSD under OTHER. The default value is 0. When I increase it (it goes up to 3), the lines are much more visible. When I increase the value, I can see the lines on S-Video too. I can even see the lines when the TV is not in 16:9 mode, but just barely.

Does anyone know what DSD is? If this is the only place in the service menu for addressing this issue, I may be out of luck since DSD was already set to 0 (the lowest value). Perhaps there's a combination of values that I could change.

I took a picture with DSD set to 3. This exaggerates the problem, but now you have an idea of what I am seeing. I needed to be creative in order to post the link:
www(dot)geocities(dot)com/mike_crj/IMG_1286.JPG

mike_crj

Auditioning
After checking every setting in the service menu, I was able to fix my problem. I changed VRFL from 1 to 0. The VRFL setting is found under DEFD. Anyone else experiencing this problem should also check that DSD is set to 0. The DSD setting is found under OTHER.

If anyone owns a service manual for this TV, I would be interested in knowing what these settings are.

seanVO

Auditioning
anyone have this problem with the kv27fs120 series, i'm having exactly the same problem and i'm trying not to exchange this if the same thing could just happen again

JudgeC

Auditioning
I actually have a similar problem with my Toshiba 26HF84. Except the lines aren't flickering, and it shows up mostly in reds. I solved the problem by getting a DVD player that has HDMI output, and I use that, and the lines are not there, the picture is great. But I tried the component inputs with 3 different players, including the new HDMI and they're all the same. But to me, having to not use the inputs to solve the problem is not acceptable.

seanVO

Auditioning
I hear you, i'd feel the same way, especially if i ownd an HD unit wich u sound like you have

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks