What's new

Wega emits a "high pitched tone" (1 Viewer)

Rob N

Agent
I've had my 36" Sony Wega (sorry exact model number escapes me) for about 2 years. Recently, I've noticed that on occasion after being on for more than 30 minutes the set will begin to emit a "high pitched tone". It's not very loud but it is noticeable and annoying. Unfortunately, this appears to be somewhat random in occurrence as sometimes I'll have it on for hours and it won't do anything. Anyone else here have this problem, know what causes it, or how it can be fixed? Thanks.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I'm not sure about your model but I think this may be a Sony thing. I have had two Sonys that did this and a friend of mine who has a Sony has experienced this as well.
If your set is only two years old it may still be under warranty. I would give Sony or your dealer a call.

Clint B

Second Unit
I had a similar thing happen with my 27" Wega (about 2 years old). However, I don't think it was the TV, but I do think it was my cable box (analog cable). Whenever I would switch off the cable box but leave the TV on, the "squeal" would stop. Like yours, mine was intermittent in nature, but I believe it was the cable box and not the TV. I haven't heard the "squeal" in a month or two, so I guess everything's ok.

HalRoth

Agent
My 61" does the same when I have the audio from the PIP on the smaller box. But heres the weird thing, the frequency is so high, then only younger people can hear it. My mom and her friends of ages 50+ are unable to hear the tone. But me and my sister and our friends at ages 19-25 are able to hear the tone.

My girlfriend has a Sony WEGA...24-27" or so. Sometimes if she accidentally turns off the cable, but not the TV, I can hear the squeal. The TV *looks* off because there's no signal, but I can always tell it's on from the squeal. I don't know if it's an age thing, but I can hear it and she can't. I'm 23 and she's...older...in her 30s. :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If everything else in a system is off, most CRTs make this noise... it's just sort of an electronic hum.

Rob N

Agent
David - I know what you're talking about. However, this isn't the same thing. When the set is on but there is no signal input (ie cable is off but set is on) I can hear that tone as soon as I walk into my house (however, nobody else in my house seems to hear it).

The tone I'm speaking of actually occurs while the set is on and there is an active input signal (my wife and kids can hear this tone too). The signal itself (DVD, VCR, Digital Cable) doesn't appear to influence the tone as it has happened using all inputs from time to time.

It's almost like once the set reaches a certain temperature it will begin to emit this high pitched tone. Again, I've had this set for about two years (use it all the time) and it only started doing this about a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks