What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/21/04 Star Wars Trilogy (authorized sneak peek) (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another question about the Coconuts fiasco. Over at the DVDTalk forum someone said
quote:once the order is "Sent to the warehouse" it seemingly cannot be cancelled, but you can refuse the shipment and you will be credited (or return it to any TWEC store).
That "sent to the warehouse" statement definitely seems correct as my order was shipped after I tried to cancel it in that state. Now, I am wondering about the possibility of returning it to a Fry's store (there is one not too far from where I work). From the beginning of this thread, I am assuming that they are also a TWEC store. Though I do see that there is a Coconuts some ways off.

Does anyone have any idea whether I could get my credit card credited?

Thanks,

Neil

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neil:

This has caused confusion a few times over the past coupla weeks.

Fry's is not a TWEC store. FYE is a TWEC store.

TWEC owns FYE and Coconuts and used to own Strawberries, Record Town and Saturday Matinees and a few other stores. I believe they have finally been consolidating their store names.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
quote:Does anyone have any idea whether I could get my credit card credited? [at Fry's]
Um, Neil - ever shop at Fry's before? Refunds/credits are a whole other experience there, trust me.
wink.gif

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Yes, it was the Gamestop in Latham!

Take care, neighbor, Ric

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I got mine from
Circuit City 44.99
Price Match to CompUSA -5.50
Tax 2.37
CC email Gift Card -10.00
Net 31.86

Not a bad price.
biggrin.gif

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
quote:A somewhat rhetorical question, but who out there in their right mind would pay $69.99 for it?
CBS Radio was running a story on the set's release on Tuesday, kept saying it was selling for 70 dollars at midnight release... I kept thinking, "In what universe is anyone buying it for MSRP?"

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
quote:who out there in their right mind would pay $69.99 for it?
That is the list price for the set. Some folks do pay full retail, the rest of us bargain hunt.

By the way in today's L.A. Fry's ad (Wed.) it was $38.99, a buck more than yesterday.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I only got 1 poster at fye (A new hope). All the sets on display had the upc sticker on the plastic so no need to cut the box. My preorder was behind the counter and had no upc sticker so I asked to swap it but she had a sheet of stickers and just put one on it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:My preorder was behind the counter and had no upc sticker so I asked to swap it but she had a sheet of stickers and just put one on it.

Wonder if anyone who did the coconuts.com pre-order and didn't get a price sticker on their cellophane could get one from their local store? If they have a local store, that is.

Don't see why it would be a huge deal to get a price sticker. You would still need a receipt to get the rebate. Maybe if you bring the coconuts.com receipt to a local store they could give you a sticker for the rebate. Worth a try maybe.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
My local Walmart (Coral Springs, FL) had only the P&S version. Lots of P&S copies. I visited the store late Tuesday night, so I can only assume that they sold out of the proper version. The price was somewhere in the low 40s, can't remember the exact amount. I saw a guy ask the clerk for the set and when she informed him that they only had FS, he said he didn't care. It took all the restraint I could muster not to deliver my usual diatribe. I felt nauseated though.
frown.gif

BTW, I got my copy earlier that morning at my local Best Buy with a CompUSA price match. I used a $10 gift card, so my price, after taxes, was $32.39.

Thank you Mike, for your hard work and dedication

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the fye i pre-ordered from had all the sets behind the counter, didnt give out any posters and would offer/didnt have stickers.

i even asked if i would have to cut anything off the box.

she said yes.

they arent doing it the other way any more because to many people were sending in for rebates they werent entitled to.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
quote:Fry's is not a TWEC store. FYE is a TWEC store.

Like many, I keep on seeing Fry and Fye and think they are the same thing. In any case, I did receive an email reply from Coconuts:

quote:We received your cancellation request and attempted to cancel product # 40241573 from your order. Unfortunately, this item has already entered the shipping process on 9/22/2004 and we were unable to cancel it. We regret any inconvenience. You have two options:

You can refuse the shipment and the carrier will return it to us with no questions asked.

Or you can accept the package and return it to us yourself:

You will find that most unopened items can be easily returned for a refund of the product price within 30 days of shipment.

Since it is being sent via US Mail, there probably isn't any way to "refuse the shipment," so it looks like I will need to get an Return Merchandise Authorization Number and send it back myself. Better that than having to mutilate the box or having something else mess the rebate. After the Best Buy/Image/Dick Van Dyke rebate fiasco I should have known better than counting on a rebate to get the best price.

Neil

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
You can refuse shipment from the post office. I have done it. Either put a note on the package for the mailperson to pick up or take it back to your post office. No problem! I think I did this with buy.com cancellations.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, just write on it "Delivery Refused" or "Return to Sender" on the package and leave it in your mailbox (or take back to the post office).

As long as you haven't opened it, you can refuse anything.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
TonyD--I'm not sure how the BB policy board is worded in your local area (I think we both can agree that it doesn't say that you have to buy it and come back later to get the 10%); however, IIRC the board at my local BB does say something to the effect of--and this is not a direct transcription from the board itself--"if after purchasing the item, you find it advertised at a lower price, BB will refund the difference plus 10%". That "statement" infers that you have to have bought it at BB beforehand...or at least that's my interpretation based on the policy stated on BB's board.

But...we both agree that BB chooses to enforce their 10% policy--written or otherwise--based on prior purchase.
smile.gif

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
It seems like everyone has forgotten Sears again, but they have the best price match policy in the world. I was just in and out of there in 2 minutes.

Walked in, found it on the only DVD shelf they had in the entire store, asked the sales person if they price matched Star Wars, he asked me from where. I told him CompUSA has it on sale for $39.99, and presto, I get it for $39.49 plus tax due to their price match plus policy. They don't require that the store they're matching have the item in stock (which they didn't), or that the price is even listed in their ad, they'll check the web site if they have to. They only require that it be a B&M store. The guy didn't do it this time, but sometimes they go online from a kiosk on the sales floor and check to make sure you're telling the truth. It's good stuff, and it looked like they were only selling widescreen movies too! Of course, they were only selling like 5 titles, but still... it's a start. So there's another reason to purchase from there.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Got delivery of my box today from fye.com. Since the slip case integrity has been questioned on this forum and some are saying they are going to toss it anyway I don't see what the big deal is about peeling off the UPC emblem (which, BTW, is on the bottom of the box anyway). It may take several weeks to get my rebate but at this point I have the satisfaction that I received my product at my doorstep (only 2 days after street) at a net cost of $34.99 (not including tax), which is among the best prices anywhere.

Joel

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Gotta love this:
Coconuts $49.99-10%(first buyers) =$44.99-$15 =$29.99 (no tax or postage)

TWENTY NINE NINETY-NINE -OK, $30 bucks!

Samuel_M

Agent
Hello:

I just wanted to comment on the earlier post about Sears...

Never in my wildest dreams would I think to go to Sears for this one (heck I didn't even know they sold DVD's!)

I went in with the Fry's Ad, they went ahead and pricematched it. Since I used my Sears Card to buy it, I was able to use a coupon that they sent me inside one of their ads last week in the mail which lets you take $10 off any purchase of $20 or more when you use your Sears Card.

Then to make the deal even sweeter, I had my cousin hook me up with his employee discount which resulted in an additional 10% off. When all was said and done, I walked out with the set for $27 total!!!
biggrin.gif

Now from what I understand there is a $5 off coupon floating out there on the net, but the $10 off coupon is a lil' more harder to find. I suggest goin' into your local Sears store and asking one of the clerks if they know where to get the ad that has the coupons when you use your Sears Card. From what I recall, the coupon I used is good through this Friday, September 25th.

Good luck!

-Samuel

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
quote:Never in my wildest dreams would I think to go to Sears for this one (heck I didn't even know they sold DVD's!)

They just started, as seen in their flyer for this week. I'll have to look into them in the future.

My Amazon order arrived yesterday. (I made that after attempting to cancel my Coconuts order - which has yet to arrive). Looking at the outer case, I definitely would not want to cut it up for a rebate. I've sent Coconuts a query about "refusing the shipment." If that would work, getting me a full refund without my cutting stung with COD return postage charges, I guess I'll do that. Otherwise, I'll eat the regular media mail postage for the return.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks