What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/21/04 Star Wars Trilogy (authorized sneak peek) (1 Viewer)

Steven Lanham

Auditioning
Here's one for Illinois (Vernon Hills) 9/21/04.

$42.87 (Wal-mart).

Watched bits of it last night (X1; 86" screen) with my kids (girls; 2 & 4 yrs.). Ahhh, the magic is still alive and it was a thrill to share it with them. What a joy to experience one of the greatest movies of all time and be able to tell them it was my favorite movie when I was a kid.

My 4 old loved it cause it had a princess and my 2 year old loved the big monkey.

Steven

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Wow - people are cancelling their FYE and Coconuts orders like crazy. I wonder if Transworld even has a clue as to how big an issue this is...

For those that preordered from FYE, this is what the posters look like. They're 27x40 (one sheet size!). I would have paid for these.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
So I went to check out the Wal Mart by my house after work and they didn't have a wow price and worse yet only fullscreen. I was ready with my Fry's flyer, but what was the point? So I went to Circuit City and they told me they didn't consider Fry's a local place (I'm in Atlanta), of which I argued (one just opened across town), but wasn't in the mood to deal with it, so I told them I would take my business elsewhere. I wasn't about to drive to Fry's as it was really a hike to the otherside of Atlanta somewhere, so I went across the street to Target, who apparently don't pricematch.... then nextdoor to CompUSA... at which point I didn't care if they met the price or not and they had a good price to begin with... but they had no copies at all. So I went back across the street to Best Buy and had no hassle at all... with tax $38 and change, but a good hour wasted......

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Albert: Tough story..but $38+ after taxes at Best Buy has to be one of the best prices I've seen on the Trilogy this week.

Not sure what sales tax is in Atlanta-area, but even figureing just 8% must've put the shelf price at $35 - $36. Maybe they were doing a pre-emptive price match of Fry's?

quote:Watched bits of it last night (X1; 86" screen) with my kids (girls; 2 & 4 yrs.). Ahhh, the magic is still alive and it was a thrill to share it with them. What a joy to experience one of the greatest movies of all time and be able to tell them it was my favorite movie when I was a kid.

Couldn't agree more. Didn't have much time last night...but 14-year-old son and I sat down and watched the opening titles for Star Wars (1977) -- I have never warmed to "A New Hope" -- and watched the opening credits come up. We also watched the raid on the Death Star. Looking forward to a more-thorough viewing, but I was wowed by the video and audio. I've been reading closely the two threads in software about audio problems, etc...but my limited exposure last night sounded pretty darn good.

My son agreed that while the film at times looks quite dated, many of the effects and situations hold up quite well.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
quote:$47.82 (Berlin, Vt.)

Didn't seem like they'd sold many.

At that price...and given what other stores/areas are currently selling them for (notwithstanding local market pricing conditions, of course), that doesn't surprise me at all...
wink.gif

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Carlo--a moot point to ask, but...did the BB store you went to have the pricematch policy printed on that big board (typically found next to the customer service area) which details most of Best Buy's purchase/return policy? If so, does the PM part of the policy mention the word "local" anywhere? If not, then one could argue BB's "it has to be local" argument...

Seeing (based on your info) that you live in LA, maybe there isn't a Fry's within 5 miles of that BB you went to, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a BB within 5 miles of a Fry's (which I think there are a few) down there...
wink.gif

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> When I asked what he meant, apparently this local BB has decided that a 5 mile radius is the definition of their local area, and since the nearest Fry's is like 12 miles away, they aren't PM'ing.

This pricematch thing is borderline fraud, in my opinion. The whole point of it is that the store claims they will not be undersold on an item, yet there always seems to be an excuse for them not to honor it.

Years ago before CompUSA & Computer City merged, I found a hard drive at one store on my lunch hour, & on the way home stopped at the other to get it, partly to see if the PM policy was for real. First they said the item had to be in stock. I told them that a few hours earlier the other store had maybe 50 units. Then they said it had to be the identical item. I told them it was. Then they said it had to be local. Same city, dummy. Then they said they'd have to call the other store to see if it was in stock. That's the part they were too lazy to do. I asked for the manager, who was also too lazy to make a call. So guess what? I just waited til the next day & bought it at the first store. So they lost a $300 sale over a $25 price difference or whatever, plus I stopped shopping at that store, so they lost hundreds in other business. Plus I told everyone about it, so they lost more customers. If they hadn't advertised a PM policy, I wouldn't have been upset at them. But don't tell me you have the lowest prices in town if it's a lie.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Tony - I didn't press it. The nearest Fry's is in Burbank, which is about 12 miles away. I could have gone to the BB in the area, but I just wasn't in the mood.

I'm pretty sure that the word "local" isn't on their board describing the PM policy, but I was tired from a long day at work and wasn't in the mood to argue.

MattLH

Auditioning
Just in from the "What in the world are they thinking department":

Border's B&M - "on sale" $59.99!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
quote:Just in from the "What in the world are they thinking department":

smiley_jawdrop.gif

Wow... Nice "sale". I'm planning to pick this up today hopefully... Anyone seen the price at a Walmart in the Milwaukee area? Is the $39.99 price standard at K-Mart?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A co-worker just picked up the DVD set for $35.13 at Fry's in Duluth, GA today. Grr...

I wonder what caused the drop in price on the second day of release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Posted by Patrick Sun 9/21/04

quote:I ....went and picked up the set at Fry's (in Duluth, GA) for $36.99.

Posted by Patrick Sun 9/22/04

quote:A co-worker just picked up the DVD set for $35.13 at Fry's in Duluth, GA today. Grr...

I wonder what caused the drop in price on the second day of release.

For two bucks (including tax), Patrick, I'd make the trek there with receipt in hand to say, "what's up with this?" But, I'm cheap that way.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
quote:A co-worker just picked up the DVD set for $35.13 at Fry's in Duluth, GA today. Grr...

WOW! And that was without a price match of any kind? Did he happen to say whether or not they still had a decent supply of them left in the store? I figured that they would have been cleaned out yesterday.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
More data ...
K-Mart - Pike Creek, DE (NO TAX!) - $39.99 - In stock
Wal-Mart - Kennett Square, PA - $42.87 - OUT OF STOCK

Score one for the Big "K"!

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
quote:Just in from the "What in the world are they thinking department":

Here's (possibly) one more to add to the "Ripley's Believe it or Not" pricing--the local ad for Albertsons (grocery store chain) is advertising the DVD for $49.99 (save up to $20 if you have an Albertsons shopping card). Granted you don't have to pay any money to get such a card, but this implies that the DVD set goes for $69.99 for non-card holders!

A somewhat rhetorical question, but who out there in their right mind would pay $69.99 for it? Okay, maybe rich folks but I bet if it wouldn't incovenience such a person to purchase it for less, I'm sure he/she'd do so in a heartbeat...heck, even rich people look for a bargain every once in a while!
wink.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the word local is not on that board in best buy stores.

the "have to buy it and come back later to get the extra 10% of the difference" isnt on that board either.

even so, this is the policy at most best buy.

i have pointed right to that board, in my store, were it is right at the customer service desk, and told them to tell me were it says i have to come back later.

they still wont let me do a buy and get the 10% at the same time.

so that's why i buy it then walk over to the desk for the match.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
quote:heck, even rich people look for a bargain every once in a while!

Some of the biggest bargain hunters I know have a lot of money. But, then again, "have a lot of money" is a completely relative term.

I guess what I can only mean is that people with a heckuva lot more money than me are always looking for ways to get good deals. Maybe that's how they got to have a heckuva lot more money than me!
wink.gif

Tom B

Grip
quote:$39.98 at Richland, WA Wal-mart. Got there around 7:30 am this morning before work.

Starting to feel sorry for you guys who went the Coconuts route.

Why?

My cost was $29.99 at Coconuts after 10% first time customer discount, $15 rebate & free shipping.

Total cost after tax is $33.28.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks