What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/17 (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'd be surprised if their attitude isn't a result of feeling like "my store will probably be closed tomorrow, so why work hard?"
My experience with KMart is that the stores have been going downhill for several years now. I've always had problems with bad customer service, insufficient staffing, dirty and ill-stocked stores, etc. And this is several places in Florida, not just one city.

The best thing they have done lately is the self-checkout. It's probably an excuse to hire less staff, but I'd rather just check myself out than have to deal with an employee that doesn't even say "hello" and looks less than thrilled to help you.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The two closest K-Marts to me (Berkshires) have been closed within the last few years. Happened to be headed east on business today so I stopped at the Big K in Holyoke, MA. What a dump!! But they had a big display of MI right inside the door only thing is the attached price on the display said $14.87 MI VHS. So I grabbed a sales flyer in case I had a problem at the register. Just for fun I strolled to the Electronics section, which is a joke, to see if they had any thing else of interest. At first I couldn't even find the other DVDs, just a display of Disney's recent releases (full frame only:angry: ). After searching for a few minutes I found them. All locked in a case so all you can see are the spines. No way to shop for DVDs. Went and checked out and it rang up $14.87 no problem. For anyone else in the area, they had a lot of them left.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I pricematched MI at best buy and the guy behind me in line had his copy of MI and was complaining that it didn't have a dts track. This caught my attention, I figured he must know a thing or too about home theater, so I nonchalantly passed him my kmart ad and said, you should check out hometheaterforum.com he tells me he does, but didnt know about this section or the god of discounts david lambert. So dave looks like I got you a new follower.

Pete O

Auditioning
Guys & Gals

Just got back from Wal Mart in PA. "MONSTER'S INC" was an amazingly low-priced $13.96. "DEATH TO SMOOCHY" $15.96 and "24" only $39.99. My DVD carry case and my portable DVD player are going to go in overdrive on my train trip to Los Angeles.

Brian E

Screenwriter
And has anybody snagged the "Civil War" set at Target? What's stock like?
The first Target I went to got four copies and was sold out when I went there about noon. They were surprised it was selling at all, had the who'd want that attitude. The second Target "thought" they'd gotten three copies and had two when I grabbed mine off the shelf.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
My local Target did not have Civil War out 'yet' so I asked about it (8am opening while associates where still getting their morning 'talk' from the manager. I pulled one of them out for a request for the title and they said they needed to get it out of the 'back'. It took quite a while and when he came back with it he only put one additional copy on the shelf. It was next tot he VHS titles (boxsets) and could easily have been missed. I didn't ask him how many he had in stock but their attitude certainly resembled the 'why would anyone want this?'. Asked about their higher price for Monsters, Inc. he said that others where using it as a loss leader with only 250 copies while Target had 'thousands' in stock.

Needless to say I was glad to get a bargain price for Civil War and went to Circuit City to pick up Monsters, Inc. Circuit City 'dude' asked if I wanted 'anything else' lending credence to the idea that Monsters was a loss leader.

I no longer have a local K-Mart open (Best Buy occupies that space now) but I'm lucky that within 2 miles I have:

- Costco
- Circuit City
- Best Buy
- Target
- Borders
- Blockbusters
- Hollywood Video

This gives me a good selection from Dave's weekly roundup to collect the best deals.

Joel

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My friend who wants TCW reports that the local Target had 2 copies, of which he purchased one as a "reserve", because BBV took his order and all but actually declined to take any sort of deposit, telling him he could pay for it when it arrives. He's more sure than ever they will try to charge him more than $29.99 when he goes to pick it up.
But Target lets you return within 90 Days if it is sealed and you have a receipt, so no problem as far as he's concerned! ;)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I also ordered a Civil War set for $29.99 at BBV, but when I tried to pay them for it now they wouldn't take any money "in case there are any problems." So I don't think I'll be getting it because I expect they will probably fix the price by the time it arrives.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I hit my local Target at about 6:30 last night. Luckily they had several copies of "The Civil War" prominently displayed with the rest of the new releases.
I also went by the BigK down the street from work to pick up MI. Right inside the door they had a big MI display that was full of VHS. :angry: So I popped on back to the electronics section (I also noticed several other folks heading that way also after a brief look at the VHS display). When I got there I found a line at the counter. The worker there was grabbing the MI DVDs from under the counter and ringing 'em right up - apparently she had been doing that all day! The line was still growing after I left with mine, but apparently they had plenty in stock, as the clerk (who seemed to be having a good time doing her job) was asking everybody if they wanted 2 or 3!!
All in all, a good day for DVD bargains! :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My semi-regular Circuit City rant:
Well, I went to Circuit City to get "Frailty" and, of course, they were already sold out (confirmed by computer by an "associate"). In all likelihood, they only ordered 3 or 4 copies per the usual Circuit City inventory nonsense. So, I grabbed a CC flyer on my way out the door (empty handed) and went across the street to Best Buy which had probably 50 copies and cheerfully price matched the CC price.
Note to Circuit City:I also bought two other non-sale titles so Best Buy reaped additional rewards by having the title in stock that I wanted in the first place.
I'm amazed CC can remain in business. Their DVD inventory management is so poor I hardly ever go there unless there's a really good deal because I know I'll never be able to find what I want. Then the sale titles are usually sold out anyway, so I end up at Best Buy in the end.
And is it necessary to have so many people working in these stores? It's incredibly annoying to have to maneuver around the packs of associates gossiping and talking about "girls & games" (or coed packs flirting with each other) in order to find what I want. The associates generally always outnumber the customers (at least in my local store).
Oh well. I got "Frailty" price-matched at Best Buy and got the Kmart deal on "Monsters, Inc." so other than wasting time at Circuit City, it was a good day. :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Well, As of today Blockbuster has fixed the DVD-Civil War glitch, the computers are now showing the correct BB sell-through price of $99.99. First I miss out on the E.T. Ultimate gift set glitch, now I miss out on the Civil War. I need to get on the ball!

(Those of you who pre-ordered Civil War and paid in full should be OK)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I tried to order TCW at two different BBV yesterday afternoon and they had already put the title on hold so I figured that they had already discovered the pricing problem.

FYI: The Targets in my area had plenty of stock of TCW.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I usually don't buy from Circuit City because of lingering memories of past DVD buying experiences with them. I was surprised this time. Picked up Frailty out of a stack of about 50, picked up Panic out of a stack of 25 or so and got MI priced matched at $14 from the local Wal-Mart 2 blocks away without an ad, without a phone call, without a Manager being called ......... without any delay. Whoa!
I might even try them again. Best Buy is still my fav but their pricing people slipped up a bit this week and left the door open to competition.

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone tell me if the Best Buy $50 off receiver coupon has any limitations (brand, price,etc.), or is it off of anyone that they carry?

Thanks,

Michael

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's a CC in VT?
Yep. Sorry though, not near Bennington. It's in Williston (just off Exit 12, I-89), near Burlington. It's just across the street from the state's only Best Buy, as well. Gotta love rural living. :wink:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit late this week, but as always:
A big :emoji_thumbsup: for David and his ever-helpful Weekly Roundup. All I had my eye on this week was Monsters Inc. and Death to Smoochy, but I always want to pop in and see the other bargains.
See you guys on Sunday! ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you're more than welcome. :D
And a belated thanks to whoever it was who said I was a machine, next to the pic of the time I posted this week's Roundup! :wink:
Anyway, it's all good. I just fear for the "WEEK OF THE TV SHOW BOX SETS", aka Nov. 5th!!! :eek:

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
David, I feel your pain!:eek:
I'm looking at getting:
Babylon 5 Season 1
Highlander the Series Season 1
ST:TNG Season 5
Needless to say it's going to be an expensive day!;)
BTW, I just picked up Dune:SE Director's Cut (3 disc set) at Wal-Mart for 9.96. :D They questioned it since it rang up at 19.96, but I showed them where it said 9.96 on the shelf and they said they had to sell it for that price, so I lucked out!
Carlos

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Carlos, THAT was a sweet deal for a sweet set!!!
Did you ever read my review of that set? Great miniseries; well done. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks