What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/17 (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If someone happens to be in Sam's can you please check on if they are carrying 24 season 1. I don't want to drive all the way over to it only to find out they don't have any. Thanks!
Sam's Club is inconsistent with in-store stocking. I've seen stuff in one store in town but not others. And I've heard of some items being stocked in certain parts of the country but not in my area.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am all set!

I have my K-Mart flyer from the Sunday paper safely tucked away.

Monsters, Inc. is mine! All mine!

Thanks, Dave! As always!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Well, I usually search for the best prices I can find, but with Monsters Inc. this week I did it differently. I should have noticed Ken Burn's Civil War was coming out, that may have had a negative effect on today, but this was for a good cause.

I just got back from Pixar's Studio, John Lasseter was hosting a charity event for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I got to go. The big event was a premier of Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away ( Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi ). The movie was shown in Pixar's digital theater, the theater was top notch.

I bid on, and won a set of DVD's,
-Monster's Inc (with a Mike drawn and signed by John Lasseter, and a Sully drawn and signed by Pete Doctor)

-Bug's Life (with a flik drawn and signed by John Lasseter)

-Toy Story Collector's Edition (with a buzz and Woody drawn and signed by John Lasseter) and I was able to get John Ratzenberger to sign it too.

I ended up getting an autograph from Hayao Miyazaki and John Ratzenberger on my Pixar badge.

The Pixar Theater was super cool, complete with a star filled night sky. John Lasseter was addressed the audience and he introduced John Ratzenberger (who was sitting directly behind me next row back), John L introduced John R as the characters he played in each movie, to which John R said a line from each character. Very cool!!! I was sitting right in front of Cliffy!!!

The price I paid for Monsters Inc won't appear in Dave's list.... but it's unique once in a lifetime chance for me, and very cool to this Disney collector.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
The SFX track only is pretty cool. I hope you north of the border get this fun feature.
Sorry to inform our friends north of the border, but the SFX track is not on the Canadien version of Monsters Inc. I had a chance to watch a copy of the Canadien version about a week ago and it is not on their. It has been replaced by a French track. One bit of good info for the Canadien version is the 1.33:1 version is not on there, only the Widescreen is.:D :D
It's off to Circuit City for me on Tuesday morning as there is no K-mart in my area.
Joe

I don't have much experience purchasing from Target (I'm mainly a Best Buy kinda guy). However, as Dave pointed out, they have "lowest price" listed in their flyer for three discs I'm going to pick up this week (Kissing Jessica Stein, Panic Room, 40 Days And 40 Nights).

Can anyone guesstimate if Target really will be lower than Best Buy/Circuit City on these titles?

Thanks,
Blake

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
I just checked out both Best Buy's and Circuit City's websites and they were both offering Snatch Superbit for 23. Anyone know if the Warehouses will be offering this or if anyone else will have it at a cheaper price.

Buy the way, just wanted to let everyone know that the new Blockbuster deal featuring Spiderman will be available mid month, although they couldnt give me a firm date. When I went last night to buy my Monster's Inc deal I asked about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Everyone who is planning to purchase The Young Ones tomorrow should read what I have to say here, about the musical number that has been edited out of this release. I highly recommend the set, but I don't want anyone to be upset because they didn't know going in that this edit was made. I can live with it, but everyone else may not feel that way.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Not to be redundant, but I, too, always read these roundups even when I intend to buy nothing. And when I do intend to buy, they save me lots of $$. Thanks, Dave!

I preordered Monsters Inc. from Bestbuy and it has shipped. It doesn't usually take too long for for their things to get to me -- usually quicker than DDD. I preordered The Civil War from a Canadian dealer, becausthey had the cheapest price I could find ($69US before shipping), and that still has all the ones listed here beat by about $10. Sure it will take a while to get to me, but I probably won't have the time to watch it until Xmas, so what difference does that make?

That was all I was going to buy this week and these are the first DVD purchases I have made in quite a while, but now that I have read this Roundup I think I am going to have to buy Frailty also. I love this kind of movie and this one sounds so very good. Not sure how I missed it when it was in the theaters, but I am taking the plunge now. Thanks to those of you who recommended this film and brought it to my attention!

Deborah

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not sure how I missed it when it was in the theaters.
You probably blinked. :) I think it was only in theaters for about a week.
I thought it was very good, but it's one of those "love-it-or-hate-it" type of films. I'm certainly buying a copy and at $15.99 it's about as cheap as seeing it in the theater (tix + food).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, at 6:17 AM this morning I was at K-Mart and picked up Monsters, Inc. They had a good amount of them (at least 50, probably closer to 100). I was the 4th person to get it, the lady told me. When I mentioned the Home Theater Forum, she said that a previous customer had mentioned the site!
Okay, own up. Who was it? :D
I thought the only Mempians on HTF were me and Matt Wooten and Randy Duncan. I work with Randy and will see him soon, so perhaps it was him, but that store would be out of his way. I can't say I've recalled seeing Matt posting for months, thought I coulda missed him.
Anyone else? :wink:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was impressing her with the idea that I was sending lots of business K-Mart's way (she had asked me "did you tell your friends about this price?").
I assume the other person simply explained how he knew to be there that early in the morning. ;)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
PMed (KMart price) Monsters Inc. at Target. Plus, I was surprised to receive a free bag of mini Oreos. Kissing Jessica Stein is priced at $17.99.
On a side note...now I remember why I've not stepped inside a KMart for several years. I first went to a KMart at around 8:30 am. I could not find their dvd section - finally, nestled in a corner nook, confined within 2, yes 2, locked cabinets, were their dvds. But Monsters was not inside. I looked around for a Monsters promotional stand and found it...sort of.
On an unopened pallet, triple wrapped in industrial grade plastic, was the whole kit and kaboodle of Monsters videos, vhs and dvd. I tried to use my car keys to pry open the plastic but to no avail.
All this time, I received no offers of help. Finally I left in frustration. Upon arriving at Target, the difference was like a breath of fresh air. Clean, wide open aisles, plenty of employees within reach, and most importantly, Monsters Inc. dvds plentifully open and available.
I understand now why KMart is struggling/going through bankruptcy. A comparison between KMart and their industry peer, Target, reveals everything on how not to run a business. I cannot imagine how bankruptcy has not forced KMart execs to reevaluate the way their stores operate.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah David, it's a hell of a scenic ride, I'll have to get back with ya tomorrow night :D
Peter, did you try a chainsaw from the garden department :)
bodym:cool:v'n

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks