What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/17 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]Oh, have we got a video?[/rant]
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb
24: Season 1_____________$45.99__$45.99__$45.99__$39.99__$_N/A_
40 Days and 40 Nights____$22.49__$19.99__$16.99__$17.99__$18.48
As Time Goes By: Srs 1&2_$29.99__$29.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
As Time Goes By: Srs 3___$29.99__$29.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Civil War (Ken Burns)____$97.49__$99.99_$129.98__$84.99__$_N/A_
Death To Smoochy - WS____$19.99__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Earth vs. Flying Saucers_$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Frailty__________________$18.74__$16.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Kissing Jessica Stein____$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Little Nikita____________$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Medabots Vol. 4__________$14.99__$12.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Monsters, Inc.___________$17.99__$16.99__$15.99__$18.49__$18.48
Panic Room - Superbit____$19.99__$15.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Pride of the Yankees_____$11.21__$ 9.99__$10.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Rodan____________________$ 9.74__$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Texasville_______________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Unbearable Lightness/Bng_$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Young Ones: Every..._$44.99__$45.99__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* K-Mart has Monsters, Inc. for just $14.87 this week! :eek: Yep, you read that right. $14.87, in DVD or VHS, right on the front page of the ad. Also, thank to their markdowns this week (see below), other Disney/Pixar titles are advertised as being cheap there (and probably everywhere else) as well, so check it out...and get there early to avoid lines! What a bargain...whoa!
* Target has Ken Burns' The Civil War for just $79.99 this week! :eek: Yep, you read THAT right, too! $15 cheaper than Costco, the closest competitor! :D Target is also down with Death to Smoochy for $16.99, Frailty for $17.99, and 24: 1st Season for $45.99. Also weighing in at "Low Price" values are Monsters Inc. (free 8 oz. bag of Mini-Oreos with purchase), 40 Days & 40 Nights, Panic Room, Kissing Jessica Stein. My question is: will all these be in-stock at the average Target, or do you have to go to the ritzy part of town? Especially for Civil War...but at that savings, it's probably worth the trip! :wink:

* On loss-leader occassions like this, we tend to wonder what CompUSA is up to. Well, not much. Monsters, Inc. is $19.97 there...not much to shout about. But 40 Days & 40 Nights is $17.99, which beats Best Buy and ties Costco; the only better deal is Circuit City. And, though I rarely mention titles that aren't new releases or markdowns, CompUSA also has Sopranos Season 3 for $67.99, if you still need to pick that up. I only mention it because, IIRC, it's a decent enough price (almost as good as Costco's), and I'm enjoying that set throroughly! ;)
* If you don't mind paying an extra dollar to get Monsters, Inc. at Circuit City, they will toss in a free MI-themed mousemat (good while supplies last (and if I'm working at CC, I'm grabbing some for my friends, right?)).
* Best Buy will save you $3 instantly when you buy Monsters, Inc. at the same time as you buy the following Disney Read-Along DVDs: Monsters Inc., Little Mermaid, Tarzan, Toy Story 2. Also, BB's copies of MI (both DVD and VHS) will have attached to them a coupon book, "worth over $450 in savings on Best Buy home theater products".
* Those of you who are wondering why I didn't put Koyaanisqatsi in the Roundup (which I can't even pronounce), y'all should just go get the Koyaanisqatsi/Powaqqatsi 2-Pack at Best Buy for only $19.99.
* Best Buy is again doing an "All DVD Players On Sale" week. This time they stir my interest with a Mintek-brand portable player with a 7" screen for a mere $379.92...maybe worth checking into?...
* Finally, look in the various Sunday ad flyers in your newspaper for a coupon from the guys at Orville Redenbacher Popcorn. Send in the UPC codes from any three packs of their popcorn (even, I suppose, the kind Walgreens sells for 39¢ a pack!) and the UPC code from Monsters, Inc., and get a $5 rebate by mail. It's not much, but it IS popcorn! :) It doesn't seem to matter what the package is or where each item is bought, from what I understand...anyone who actually gets this coupon, please post details for us. Thanks!
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Bug's Life, A (Movie-Only Edition) $29.99 $19.99
• Buzz Lightyear of Star Command $29.99 $19.99
• If Lucy Fell $24.95 $19.95
• Once Upon a Time In China 1 $24.95 $19.95
• Once Upon a Time In China 2 $24.95 $19.95
• Once Upon a Time In China 3 $24.95 $19.95
• Toy Story $29.99 $19.99
• Toy Story 2 $29.99 $19.99
[rant]I Hope You're Satisfied, Thatcher![/rant]

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'll be price matching at Best Buy Bill. Pick up all my discs in one place. This week I'll be going with Monster's Inc., Death To Smoochy, Panic Room.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
* If you don't mind paying an extra dollar to get Monsters, Inc. at Circuit City, they will toss in a free MI-themed mousemat (good while supplies last (and if I'm working at CC, I'm grabbing some for my friends, right?)).
Paying an extra dollar at Circuit City? It looks to me like Monsters, Inc. is $15.99 at CC, which is cheaper than everybody else. . . :confused: :crazy:
Thanks, Dave!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Ray.
For those who want help price-matching, check the sites for Target and K-Mart to print out copies of the ads. No guarantee that someone will pricematch from an ad's printout from the web, but it's worth a shot. But, you might wanna invest in a newspaper! :)
Here's the K-Mart ad close-up, now available online (front and then 3rd pages):

Link to K-Mart's ad
Link to Target's ad
Don't forget that, though Wal-Mart has monthly circulars instead of weekly, and this isn't on on-week, it is very likely that they will come close to K-Mart's ad price on MI in most stores...even where KM isn't "in the neighborhood". YMMV, though.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matt, didn't you see the really huge K-Mart blurb about their price for MI? If not, see the post I just made! :D

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Matt, didn't you see the really huge K-Mart blurb about their price for MI? If not, see the post I just made!
[EmilyLitella]Nevermind. . .[/EmilyLitella]

:b

All of our K-Marts in the Oklahoma City area have been closed in the past few months, so we don't get their ads anymore, and I usually skip right past whatever K-Mart price news I read about online.

So around here, CC is still the place to go for MI.

Thanks again, Dave!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I can't verify this, but when I posted the price of Monster's Inc. at another board, I was informed...

On the same note, look out for specially marked 12 packs of Pepsi that have a $5.00 coupon for the DVD or $3.00 off the VHS tape.
So on Tuesday I might have to actually go to K-Mart and buy some Pepsi, unless this is marketed at the grocery store. The poster didn't note if it was just at K-Mart, or if it's spread around.

TomJD

Agent
I found the only problem with getting DVDs at K-Mart is they are ususally late in getting them.Had to wait another 2 weeks when Mad Monster Party was released for my K-Mart to finally have them.K-Mart had the exclusive 4 postcard set included with the DVD(nice).

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Dave! You're a machine.
This is going to be one painful week. I had missed 24's first few episodes so I skipped the whole series. Now I was on the fence for purchase but Ron's glowing review will probably put me over the edge. Couple that with MI and PR and Circuit City will be bumped up to a new tax bracket.
Thanks

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tom, I called K-Mart at 5:30-ish this morning to verify the price and all, just to be sure (the online ad hadn't been posted yet).

She was happy to get the ad and verify for me, laughed at my comment about "insomnia", apologied for keeping me on hold so long, and cheerfully told me to get there early and pick up "one of these DVDs". She indicated without saying so that she was grabbing the circulars to put out, and was looking at the actual videos at the same time. When I tried to ask her home many she had, she seemed to be counting and then said "probably won't be enough with this ad"...but she said it ironically (too many to count, but still not enough for anticipated demand, perhaps?).

I'll probably swing in to that store on my way into work that morning...it's 24 hour. Either that or Wal-Mart for a match.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have any idea what coupons worth over $450 in savings on Best Buy home theater products will include. It may be worth my drive to go there and have them price match.
Thanks

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Target has Ken Burns' The Civil War for just $79.99 this week! Yep, you read THAT right, too! $15 cheaper than Costco, the closest competitor!
You have Costco price at $84.99, that's only a $5 difference (but still worthwhile if you have a Target nearby...I don't :frowning: ).
Great round-up, Dave! Looks like Circuit City is the place for me this week.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Any word on The Mask of Zorro: Superbit Deluxe?

I figure it won't be an on sale item like Panic Room Superbit since it's an older release that's already been out in what 3 versions!!!

Great job Dave!

For those with a ShopKo store in their neighborhood, they are advertising Monsters Inc @ $13.99. You can view their ad and find the stores @ shopko.com.
p.s. the above price is good tues or wed only.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Meijer has a deal where if you buy any 3 Nabisco crackers or cookies (Cheese Nips, Chips Ahoy, Oreo), you get an in-store coupon for $5 off Monsters, Inc. The Meijer ad does not list the price for MI, but I would imagine it's probably 19.95 or so. However, Meijer price matches ads. While I don't know what sort of hassle they'll give you, if you take in the Kmart ad, price match down to 14.87, then use the Nabisco coupon, you're down to 9.87. If you're then able to use the Orville Redenbacher & Pepsi rebates, you're down to a net cost of -0.13, plus tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks