What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mike-frezon

Weekly RoundUp 8-9-2016

WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…

Click here to read the original article.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

Lots of interesting titles being released this week. But not much for me, personally. Probably Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at some point.

Thanks in advance for any "likes" on this week's RoundUp! Enjoy the weekend!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for your work, Mike. I imagine I'll end up with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof eventually too, and I would like to see 11-22-63 at some point. A Hologram for the King was really good and I would enthusiastically recommend a rental for those who think they might be interested, but I don't know that I need to own it necessarily, so it would probably be a post-price drop purchase if anything. So, nothing for me this week (which is fine, since last week was expensive.)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A second Kino week in a row for me, with the two Randolph Scott films (in CINECOLOR!).

Oh, and I just found a cheaper price for the Perry Mason: The Complete Movie Collection from Deep Discount ($28.99), so I'm pulling the trigger on that too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always, Mike!

"Supergirl: The Complete First Season" is the only day one purchase for me. I adored watching it as it aired on CBS; it captured the spirit of the Superman mythos better than than any live action production since the Christopher Reeve movies. I'll have to wait and see what Target's "collectible packaging" entails before I decide whether it's worth $2 more than Best Buy's price. The photo on the Target website looks exactly the same as the Best Buy cover art.

I'll probably pick up "11.22.63" on Black Friday a few years from now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for your efforts to get the RoundUp written and posted, Mike!

I have requested a review copy for NCIS: New Orleans, but it hasn't arrived. I have already reviewed all of the Perry Mason made-for-TV movies as the original releases streeted, so those interested in might do a search in the TV-on DVD forum if you need to get some information on contents and impressions.

I'll definitely be getting Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the RoundUp!

I've had Supergirl preordered for quite some time. I thought the bulk of the first season was a blast with perhaps just a few small stumbles in the season finale.

The Flash crossover and the Black Mercy ep are worth the price of admission!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Hmm...line from Blazing Saddles....

"You'd do it for Randolph Scot!"

Orchestra and chorus explode....

:dance::rock::cheers::dancing-banana-04:"RANDOLF SCOTT!" :banana::dancing-banana-04::drum::cheers:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'll eventually get Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Thanks as always, Mike.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nothing this week, thankfully. In fact, I think the next movie is going to be Jungle Book at the end of the month. Right now, funds are being diverted to pay for a quickie Disneyland trip and two trips to Costa Rica in January.

Thanks, as always, Mike!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the Target exclusive version of "Supergirl: The Complete First Season" is just a lenticular version of the regular slipcover, so I saved two bucks and got the regular version at Best Buy instead. A bit surprised that they crammed 20 40+-minute episodes onto three discs (seven episodes each on the first two discs, six episodes plus special features on the third disc); "Arrow" and "The Flash" only have three more episodes a season, and they get four-disc releases. Still, much higher bitrate 1080p than broadcast or streaming. I'm grateful that Warner Bros. continues to stand by TV on Blu-Ray when the other studios are so much more reticent.

Walmart's price for Midnight Special also dropped below $13.00, so I pulled the trigger on a site-to-store for that.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Target and the Bros Warner have cooked up another gimmick to squeeze some more galleons out of the old Harry Potter series: "Two-Disc Target Exclusive" editions. The First disc contains the movie ... The second disc is Part X of the making of ...To get the entire making of you have to buy all the movies again!!!

$10.00
$15.00

Look for the display in the front of the store by the checkout lanes !
Don't wait for the book ... buy the movie ... !

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does anyone know: Are these the same making-ofs that were previously released in the big Ultimate Editions? I never got those.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as my reading goes the 8 individual releases are the movie disc and the extra disc from the Ultimate/Hogwarts/Wizards set (16 of 19 Bluray discs from the Hogwart/Wizards without the 3D discs and the ExtraBonus Disc 31 only with the 2 big sets). HP 1 and 2 contain the Theatrical and Extended editions.

Target exclusive were released 7/31 for 2+ weeks (ends 8/13). I'm still unclear whether this gets a full release on 8/13 or if it goes away entirely, but I'm thinking it becomes a wide release then

The Hogwarts set has been sub $100 several times and as low as $70 for the 31 disc boxset so $15 each seems to be an expensive way to get 8 new slipcovers and 2 disc BD cases, lose the 12 DVDs along with the 3 extra BDs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks