What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/20 (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I had no problem getting Borders to accept the 15% off coupon for Peter Pan 2: Return to Neverland.
My BestBuy did not have any Pretty in Pink, although they had a space for it on the shelf. An employee told me they didn't get any shipped to them yet.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>At the San Francisco Best Buy (on Harrison) they couldn't have been more helpful. They had their new releases stacked on a card table (the free older DVDs were stacked there too)...

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Gremlins/Gremlins 2, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown for $61.76. With the free copy of Dusk till Dawn I received from Best Buy it comes to about $12.35 each. Not bad at all. Best buy didn't give me any problems with the instant $5 off Pulp/Jackie offer. Maybe I will go back for the Van Wilder / Weekend at Bernie's combo. Although I don't think Weekend at Bernie's is anamorphic :frowning:
-Dan
Thanks Dave for your work on the roundup every week.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My BestBuy did not have any Pretty in Pink, although they had a space for it on the shelf. An employee told me they didn't get any shipped to them yet.
I forgot to mention that. When I looked for PiP at BB, I didn't see it on the shelf. I was gonna ask, but as I approached the lookup station to ask the worker there about it, I saw two copies with no pricetags sitting there on the counter. I asked if I could take one, and he said "yeah; we just got those this morning".
An advertised loss leader, and they got TWO copies in THE MORNING OF THE STREET DATE? :eek: :confused:
Oh well...ask for a raincheck if you don't see it! I didn't see Some Kind of Wonderful, either...but I wasn't worried about that one yet.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
My wife ran out and picked up Jackie Brown/Pulp Fiction/Dusk to Dawn for me from Best Buy. She received no hassle on the coupon, and when she couldn't find FDTD on the racks, the person she asked ran back and brought out two cases to put on the shelves. I considered her experience to be rather uncharacteristically good, considering the amount of help we usually get at this particular Best Buy.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
My Best Buy put some shelving monstrosity in the aisle behind the DVD section where they stock up on the weekly specials. This week it was full of PULP FICTION, JACKIE BROWN and the freebie FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. They even had a sign that spelled out the free DVD offer. Pretty nice.

But I went to Borders to pick up the GREMLINS duo. My experience with Borders has unfortunately been that stuff takes days to get to the shelf, and if it's not quickly visible near the desk or in the back, that's as far as they're willing to go for you. Luckily, there was one copy of each GREMLINS flick in the horror section.

Since I had the 15%, I racked my brain to figure out what movies I needed that were actually priced low enough at Borders to get a better deal than BB. Then I remembered that they carried one of my favorites, LITTLE MAN TATE for $14.99 where BB stocked it for $17.99 (huh??)... so I got that one for around $12 as well. Glad I waited on that one. The Jodie Foster audio commentary is wonderful, but the transfer is ugh-lee.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Micheal....I think you did pay too much. "Save $5 instantly with the combinded purchase of We Were Soldiers and any of the following DVDs: Payback, Braveheart, or What Women Want (In-store only)" Payback is advertised for $11.99, buying that with We Were Soldiers should have made it $6.99.
They took $2.50 each off "We Were Soldiers" and "Payback." BB always spreads the discount, rather than take a lump sum off one title. Don't know why, I guess they just like doing it the complicated way. :rolleyes

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Is "Some Kind Of Wonderful" out on DVD yet? That's a guilty pleasure of mine.
Patrick, it is in this week's Roundup!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
David, I hate to say it, but I hate that boldish typeface you use, so I usually just skim it, so I definitely missed it on the list (plus it's sandwiched between Scooby and Sweetest, my eyes got crossed). But now I will have to look for it! (Okay, maybe I'll look for it "used" because it's a bit pricey for a catalog title, guilty pleasure or not).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I only use that font (FixedSys) so that the Roundup comes out evenly spaced for the columns. It is one of the few non-kerning fonts available, so I gotta go with it. I've gone over the tables thing with the owners, and I've agreed its in all of our best interest if the look of the Roundup stays "casual", shall we say? :)
Good luck finding it, though...I didn't. :frowning:
PS - this is the second time the Roundup thread has gone over 3000 views!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and my free copy of From Dusk Til Dawn dvd with the $5 off coupon at Best Buy today. They didn't give me any problems with the coupon, but I did have a little trouble with a price match on The Rock: Criterion Collection via Media Play's 14.99 advertised price. The cashier had to get the manager's authorization before approving the price match and he even suggested they call Media Play to make sure there was no mixup, but the manager agreed to just go ahead and let me have it. :) So, I ended up getting all 4 dvds for under $45!

MikeDE

Second Unit
I got the price match on Criterion's The Rock at BB without any problems. Unfortunately, the last copy of Dusk To Dawn had just walked out the door, but I still couldn't turn down the deal for PF & JB. Just to check, I went to Media Play where the regular Rock was marked on sale. They told me that the Criterion was out of print and someone had asked earlier about the ad, so guess I wasn't the first to look for it.

Mike

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh. Yeah, go ahead and start that rumor. Right after I snap up all the local copies and renew my eBay account. :wink:
Doesn't it amaze you when you realize how little the employees of a video store actually know about this hobby?
I get it at Suncoast here in Memphis all the time! :rolleyes

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Robert, please refresh my memory. I musta lost sight of that somewhere along the way.
Andrea, I've thought about it, and also adding something to indicate if the price shown is "1st-week only" or "everyday" pricing at that retailer. Unfortunately, I'm out of width...unless Robert's font works out differently.
We'll just have to see.
Omigosh, I just looked at the #of posts and views for this week's Roundup thread! :eek:

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Replenishment shipments today of some important titles at my store:

Around 300 Pulp Fictions
Around 250 Jackie Browns

And, last but not least. . .

50 copies of From Dusk Till Dawn.

So, for those of you that haven't yet gotten in on this deal, check your local store. . .

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Dave, I believe I suggested Terminal, but didn't know if it showed up on a Mac (I remember Mac-compatibility being an issue). It's fairly bold looking, like FixedSys, but not quite as heavy to my eye.
Courier is a non-bold-looking choice, but tends to be wider than the others in my experience.
Width comparison:
AaBbCcDdEeFfGg (FixedSys)
AaBbCcDdEeFfGg (Terminal - a little narrower)
AaBbCcDdEeFfGg (Courier - in retrospect, not really any wider than FixedSys)
edit: added font names to above comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks