Weekly RoundUp 7-25-2006

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Viper

Viper Second Unit

Joe Fisk
    Those new releases of the Halloween movies sparked my attention, and got me wondering about a couple things. IMDB lists like 4 different US releases for Halloween 4. One of them claims to be 2.35:1 even though the technical specs on the movie (and this weeks release) state 1.85:1. What gives? I'm also curious as to whether any of the releases included a pan & scan transfer? and what was special about the "Limited Edition"?

Does anyone know any sites that keep more detailed information about specific DVD releases? Amazon.com/IMDB doesn't always list the aspect ratio(s) a DVD is presented in. I'm getting used to widescreen, but I still shy away from 2.35:1/2.40:1 releases. I really wish they'd rerelease some better looking transfers of movies like Gladiator. If you've watched the pan & scan before seeing the DVD, it's so obvious the frames have been cropped at the top and bottom it's sickening. Why do they screw up those Super35 transfers so bad? Most widescreen transfer look good because they include the whole bloody frames. Why are we still being cheated on some hit movies here? Hell, I read somewhere that the director/producer(?) of Air Force One actually prefers the pan and scan release to the widescreen one because it lost so much from the top and bottom. Losing the sides in those cases seems far less noticable.

Another thing about aspect ratios. Why are the sites that sell HD-DVD/Blu-Ray seemlingly too lazy to list the damn aspect ratio of them? I assume they're all widescreen, sure, but I'd like to know if it's 1.85:1 or 2.40:1. etc.

2. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

Although I managed to get a relatively good deal on Brisco last week (65 - 10% off coupon and a $15 credit at BB made it just under $44), this week is still going to hurt a little bit.
    Animaniacs vol.1
    Pinky and the Brain vol.1
    Shirley Temple Collection vol.4

Maybe Boondocks later in the year.

I've heard good things about JAG but it would be a blind buy for me. Any comments would be appreciated.

3. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

I'll be picking up all the Paramount HD DVDs except for Sky Captain.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Mike Cameron:

RE: FD3 at Target...
    The Target.com/CinemaRed website shows the same cover (the rollercoaster) as the regular edition...my guess is that it gives it a 3-D quality.

I will try to get a peek at one tomorrow (Monday) and post what I find.

Tales from the Crypt is all for me, but a few rentals to add to Netflix (like FD3!!!!)

Eric

5. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Picked up Tales from the Crypt 1-3 at Circuit City.
    Their deal on Miami Vice Seasons 1 & 2 ($34.99 for the two-pack) isn't valid until tomorrow, so I'll have to go back for that.

6. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Joe, you'd probably get more help with your questions about Halloween if you post it in the Software forum. [​IMG]

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    This week, when I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing.

Then again, I was just going for She-Ra last week and ended up with:

To Wong Foo...
    What Dreams May Come
    Million Dollar Baby
    The Terminal
    Desperate Housewives S1
    The Family Man

Thank you gents!

8. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

Has anyone received/found a copy of "Hudson Hawk 15th Anniversary"? I know it was supposed to be released this week. However, everyone seems to have pulled it from their on-line ordering.

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Check out some of the daily re-runs on the USA network to see if the show is your cup of tea or not.

Regards,

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

...and a quick "Happy Birthday" to regular RoundUpper Kenneth Cummings! [​IMG]

A day late...but any excuse to have a party! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Just grabbed "Final Destination 3" at Circuit City for $13.99. [​IMG]

I probably should have checked the Wal-Mart next door. It might've been even cheaper.

12. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Heads up for animation fans: The Friday flier for the Houston-area Fry's have the "Animaniacs"/"Pinky & The Brain" sets for $27.99, and "Boondocks" for $26.99. Fry's does regional pricing, but if you live in a Fry's town and want these sets it's worth checking out.

This is exactly the kind of thing that has modified my previous behavior of rushing out after work on Tuesday to pick up everything I want. Seems there's always a better deal just around the corner...

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman