What's new

Weekly Roundup 7/1 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
West Los Angeles Best Buy:

GONY = $14.99 (saw the stand-up display)
Nikita = $14.99 (I bought this one)

Good luck!

TimJS

Second Unit
Now, about the $10 gift card ... I didn't see anyone post about this and I didn't see it in the weekly ad. So let me post what I bought and maybe you guys can decipher it
I bought the Chaplin collection today and also got one. Believe the checker said something about any purchase of DVDs/CDs over 50 bucks makes it happen. Wish I would've seen the Costco price before I made that purchase.

Also went to Borders today and picked up their July paper.

The following titles have "Border's price" (ususally about 5 to 6 bucks below SRP) listings:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home SE $14.99
The Chaplin Collection: Volume 1 $69.99
The Complete Monty Python's Family Circus $149.99
King Of The Hill: The First Complete Season $34.99
The Man Show: Season One, Volume One $24.99
There's Something About Mary CE $19.99
How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days $19.99
Punch-Drunk Love SE $19.99
The Dead Zone: The First Complete Season $44.99
Homicide: Life on the Street $59.99
Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman: The Complete First Season $69.99
Gangs Of New York $19.99
The Recruit $19.99
25th Hour $19.99
Frida $19.99
XX/XY $19.99
Lost In La Mancha $24.99
Daredevil $19.99
Solaris $19.99
Pinocchio $19.99
The Life Of David Gale $19.99
Final Destination 2 $19.99
The Quiet American $19.99

Note some of the above are July releases and should be available on Street date and not before.

Tim

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here's the in-a-nutshell version of my DVD buying experience yesterday: All the titles that I wanted that weren't "hot hits" (like Doctor Who for example) I ended up finding at the stores which were NOT the lowest price. $3 more here on these, $6 more there on those, that sort of thing. So bargain-hunter Dave actually ended up spending almost $20 more yesterday for stuff than he should have. Shoot.

On top of that, I didn't get any $10 gift card from Best Buy, and from the looks of things I certainly qualified. Time to inquire...

At least I found a street date breaker for S1 and S2 of Little House On The Prairie...and those were each $5 less than what I was expecting to pay for them. Quality is good (not perfect, but recommendable). A nice early find.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like this is a weird wild wacky week of dvd buying.

Dave,

I know what you mean when it comes to various non-"hot hits." Doctor Who releases are always cheaper on-line. Yet, when I see one in the store...sometimes I can't resist...even if it's a few dollars more. I guess it just depends on how bad you what to see a new release.

By the way, after Best Buy went back on-line yesterday, I printed out the current weekly ad, using an out-of-state zip code to bring up the cheaper prices that everyone else is getting. I'm going to see if I can get a price match for Le Femme Nikita SE this afternoon. I'll let you know how I make out!

H

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At my local Best Buy today, they had GONY at $16.99, therefore, I ended up across the street at Circuit City with their $15.99 price.

Crawdaddy

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Not the most successful day for me, either, Dave. I only managed to pick up Gangs of New York and Nikita at Best Buy. They didn't have Anastasia, Scaramouche, or The Babe, and although these next two weren't the lowest price at BB, they had no clue about Crimson Pirate or Master of Ballantrea, either. So, I'm two for seven this week! :angry: (two for eight if you count Knights of the Round Table)

Guess I'll have to leave a paper trail this week, and buy online rather than with cash! :wink:

Quick question for the group, though: Do you think that the classic films out this week (Anastasia, Crimson Pirate, Scaramouche, Ballantrea, Knights) are likely to drop in price over, say, the next year, or is now as good a time to buy them as any other? Just trying to decide whether getting them in their week of release will make any difference. Would appreciate any opinions on that.

Thanks!

- Bob P.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>At my local Best Buy today, they had GONY at $16.99, therefore, I ended up across the street at Circuit City with their $15.99 price.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Success!

Took the Best Buy out-of-state weekly ad to Circuit City after work today.

No problem matching the prices for La Femme Nikita SE or Gangs of New York. With their price match plus their 10% of the difference policy that's $14.69 each...not bad.

Now if these stores would only start putting Dr. Who on sale during the initial release week I'd have no complaints!:D

Thanks again to everyone who posted the lower prices!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At least I found a street date breaker for S1 and S2 of Little House On The Prairie...and those were each $5 less than what I was expecting to pay for them. Quality is good (not perfect, but recommendable). A nice early find.
Dave:

Is there any information posted about these anywhere? Whadja pay? Or, maybe I should ask what's the expected price? Who's putting them out? How many discs per set? I am sooooo clueless. :frowning:

**EDIT** Ooooops! Realized I better search software, but right after I pushed the "post" button. If anyone else is interested, here's the HTF thread, started by Dave himself! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Went to BB today to check on the $10 off gift card it sounds like I should have gotten and didn't.

Called ahead to inquire first, and was told by the media dept. that they heard about it, but didn't know the details. I was transferred to customer service, who agreed I should have gotten it if my receipt was as described, so I should come in with it and they'd take a look.

When I arrived, the lady I spoke to wasn't there, and the lady present didn't know about it. The Media Dept. mgr. was handy and said he'd heard about it, but didn't know details either. She went to see the front line manager.

After a long delay she returned with a non-supervisor in tow, who I was handed off to. I was informed that the whole $10 gift card thing was a mistake, that the only way anyone should have gotten it is with some coupon from the "homewares" section (appliances, etc.). So no, they can't make an adjustment for me. It was all a mistake.

So I left, and returned later with 4 items (the Babs DVDs) I had bought there for $14.99 each, which were $12.99 each at Costco. I told them that *I* had made a mistake and overpaid. So I got a refund there and went up the street and bought them at Costco.

Well, it was ALMOST $10. ;)

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Is the 19.99 price at Best Buy for Something about Mary a sale price or will it be that price next week?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I bought Something About Mary at Sam's Club for $18 and change. It came in a cardboard longbox, like CDs used to have. When I opened it I found the words "FULL SCREEN COLLECTOR'S EDITION" had been covered by the box. :angry:

Of course I'm going to take it back and complain about the packaging. Hopefully they'll have the widescreen version so I can trade it in. Otherwise I'm not sure how I'll go about exchanging it, since I had to open it to know I had the wrong one.

Anyway, consider this your warning, Sam's Club shoppers.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Could you read the back? It says pretty clearly in the technical grid "Full Screen - Modified to fit your TV" or "Anamorphic Widescreen."

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I could read the back. If I had been thinking about the fact that there were separate versions I might have thought to check the technical grid. Alas I did not, as I suspect most people would not.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So no, they can't make an adjustment for me. It was all a mistake.

So I left, and returned later with 4 items (the Babs DVDs) I had bought there for $14.99 each, which were $12.99 each at Costco. I told them that *I* had made a mistake and overpaid.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good one, Dave! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks