Weekly Roundup 6/24

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by David Lambert, Jun 22, 2003.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

What am I? I ain't no physicist, but I knows what matters.

[c][​IMG][/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
    __________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
    The Best of Laugh-In V1___$37.46__$34.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Best of S. Harvey Show V1_$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Blind Date: Ult. 3-Pack___$22.49__$24.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Cowboy Bebop: The Movie___$20.21__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$18.99__$_N/A_
    Dark Blue - Spec. Edition_$20.24__$_"HP"__$17.99__$_N/A___$17.99__$_N/A_
    Dark Shadows Collection 6_$44.99__$52.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Hercules: Leg. Jnys. S1___$67.49__$54.99__$99.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Hours - Widescreen____$19.47__$19.99__$17.99__$15.99__$17.79__$_N/A_
    Kangaroo Jack -Widescreen_$20.99__$16.99__$15.99__$15.99__$18.99__$17.86
    Live From Baghdad_________$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Long Ships____________$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Man Show - S1, V1_____$22.49__$17.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A_
    Monk: The Premiere Ep.____$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Mutant X - S1, Disc 1_____$18.74__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Popeye____________________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Punch-Drunk Love - SprBit_$21.72__$_"HP"__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Soul Food - Season 1______$67.49__$87.99__$79.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Sounder (2003)____________$22.49__$24.99__$22.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    [/c]

* BE CAREFUL! The Hours and Kangaroo Jack are both available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* Non-OAR discs are left off the Roundup, whenever they've been identified in advance. Example: Lost In La Mancha. This does NOT apply to markdowns, which are simply cut-and-paste from other lists.

* For those of you interested in The Man Show: Be aware that this is EXACTLY the same as the television presentation. Nothing uncensored here, not even the cover (when you slide off the bellyband it reveals crossed arms over the goodies).

* Know anyone who still needs a copy of The Matrix on DVD? It and Training Day are both on sale for $9.99 this week at Circuit City. "Special In-store price only. Limit 3 per customer."

* BestBuy.com is redesigning their website. Right now you can browse for titles and everyday prices, buy you cannot purchase anything online and therefore cannot find out what the exact sale price is on sale items. I don't know what this means long-term for the accuracy of the Weekly Roundup. I'm marking items like Punch-Drunk Love and Dark Blue as $_"HP" (short for "Hot Price") as a result. Both are probably $17.99, but take it with a grain of salt. Note that BB.com has changed their privacy policy so that you can no longer opt out of BB selling data collected about you to 3rd parties, and that one of the goals of their site redesign (as quoted in a VideoBusiness.com article) is to track information about you easier and more thoroughly:

2. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Nothing for me this week. Oh well, more money for the Gameboy Player.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'll be buying Monk and passed on censored Man Show. Thanks Dave.

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Nothing for me this week, but I'm looking forward to getting Gangs of New York on July 1st.

5. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Censored Man Show? What's the point?

I'll have to rent Punch Drunk Love.

Thanks againn Dave.

6. Michael.Hoffman

I think I might pick up Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. I really got hooked on the show last winter, but the movie wasn't playing near me when I checked [​IMG]

7. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

David, thanks for another great roundup. Ill be getting popeye and a certain wwe dvd.

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

9. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'm really conflicted about the Monk Premier Episode. On the one hand, I really like the show. On the other, I would hate to suggest that I support single episode releases.

So if I don't buy it, am I harming the chances of seeing season sets because they don't think people like the show. And if I do buy it, will they take that to mean I'd like to buy single episodes or 'best of's?

Arrrrggghhhhh

11. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thanks, Roberto.

I didn't think about the audio (and missed a prior post in the same thread that mentioned the audio was uncensored). I was trying to help your cause, Mat, by getting people to think about purchasing the set for enjoying it the way it was broadcast, and not hold out hope for seeing something different. Plenty of Playboy releases on DVD if they want that.

If I ruffled your feathers in the process (and I clearly have), I apologize. I'm a little cheeked, though, that you "fired back" quite so hard. It's hardly a "completely false and inaccurate statement"; the only part of it that was wrong is, in fact, about the audio. Correct? I'm basing that on your own post, the one that I'm responding to. If I'm wrong, it's because you're not being clear.

I should be equally clear in that I've never seen the show (not having cable/satellite), and had no intention of buying the set (having spent too much money on other DVDs recently already). Not a lack of interest...just not willing to spend money blindly when I have little to spare.

If you're a fan of this show's broadcasts and have $17.99 to spare at Best Buy, I encourage you to pick this up.

Matt: I apologize to you and all other fans of Lost In La Mancha, then, if 1.33:1 is indeed the correct OAR. I saw from the IMDB that this was a theater release, saw at Costco's website that this was a fullscreen release, and leapt to a conclusion. I know you always know what you're talking about, so I'm going to now say I was wrong. I'm not researching any more prices on titles, though, so if you want to get prices and post them, go ahead.

Alex: in my opinion, which could be wrong of course, you should go ahead and get the Monk DVD. It's a 2-hour pilot telefilm, not a "single episode". It's no different than everyone buying The Hulk Premiere Episode recently, which I quite enjoyed.

13. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I'll be giving The Hours, Live From Baghdad and Punch Drunk Love a rent because my wallet is tightening up for a expensive fall release schedule.

Thanks Dave.

14. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Dave,
    no way was this a personal attack on you
    I appreciate all you do in bringing the 'Weekly Roundup' info to this forum
    Just wanted to make sure the facts were stated as clear as possible

1) none of the audio (profanity included) is bleeped out
    2) nothing is compromised when it comes to blurring ...3 incidents: 2 most likely related to legal release issues and the third involving the genetalia of one of the hosts of the show
    3) when people complaining about 'censorship' actually pick up and view this set themselves they will see they are making much to do about nothing.

again Dave, no need to appologize...
    I may have read your statement the wrong way in that is sounded like you already had the set since your disclaimer was very descriptive (down to the 'goodies' under the packaging ) and I did not want people to continue to falsely believe they were being cheated out of something here.

ps. I own the R1 version of "Eyes Wide Shut"

15. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

16. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

How is it "censored" when the version on the disc is exactly as it aired? Also, it's not like the government came in and made anybody blur out the bits in question.

This is not a question of censorship -- it's a question of what version those who control and put together the material choose to release. The version on the disc is the equivalent of OAR, so just what is the problem here?

17. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

And I don't. As a matter of fact I've never even seen this film because I refuse to watch it uncensored. It's not the amount of censoring or what's being censored, it's the [profanity strewn adjectives censored out] principle of the thing. [​IMG]

18. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

This week I'll be getting Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

I'll probably be renting The Hours and Punch-Drunk-Love sometime in the future.

19. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

I'm going for Popeye and Hercules, so I'm not doing to bad.. plus, I still have to pick up Stargate SG-1 S3 that I forgot about last week...[​IMG]

20. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer