Weekly RoundUp 6-11-2013

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Really Disney? Are you actively trying to discourage 3D?

$31.45 is the best price I can find for Oz: The Great and Powerful 3D. This is for a single disc that has no 2D version, or any of the extras on the 2D version. To add insult to injury, the $7 Disney coupon is not good towards this version, it's for the 2D only.

In the past, I could expect around $24.99 for a 3D disc WITH the 2-D, DVD, and Digital copy.

Seriously, WTF is going on here? This is just absurd.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

What's your position on Cars 2, Jason? I was quite surprised that Cars didn't suck as bad as I thought it would (I presumed it would be a film for the NASCAR set and that turned out to be far from the truth). But most people don't give Cars 2 the same glowing reviews as they do most of the Pixar canon.

4. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Wow that's good news if the 2D Oz actually has an upgrade offer for the 3D disc.

If so, though, it still leaves me scratching my head.

Using the Disney coupon and the upgrade offer, that means you can get the (Blu 3D + 2D + DVD + Digital Copy) for about $10 less than getting the (Blu 3D + 2D + Digital Copy).

Again, WTF Disney?

I would love to have more confirmation that the offer is included in the 2D Combo pack other than 1 YouTube video.

5. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

More than a couple reports of people who got thus early have said that it had the upgrade offer.
    I think you even contact Disney directly and get it with Proof of purchase though not 100% on that yet.

Mike, I'm in the minority in really liking Cars. Other that being superfically about a "Cars" with a main character that
    runs in Nascar races, it has virtually nothing to do with Nascar itself. I really have no idea why people dismiss Cars
    out of hand. The story is pretty solid though certainly not earthshattering creatively (hell it's an animated Doc
    Hollywood), the characters are overall pretty decently done, the animation is typically Pixar beautiful, even Mater
    doesn't grate on me in small doses. The other Town characters are just a blast -- Luigi, Sally, Doc and the whole
    Route 66 story got some kids to ask about the Old days and roads and what were those little towns like which makes
    taking a scenic route a bit more relevant to some of the kids that now understand that not everything interesting is
    next to the Interstate.

Car 2 falls much lower on the pole though is decently enjoyable. It was the first Pixar movie that seemed to really
    fall into the Make a Sequel just because trap. i would say DTV, but the animation is far too strong for that, but it
    was the first Pixar that I can think of where the story was secondary to the characters.

6. hotrodguy

hotrodguy Stunt Coordinator

Cliff
    Fry's has some good items on sale, Family Guy Star Wars Trilgogy and Hobbit for $14.99 each plus others. I'm thinking about the Family Guy BD but I'll wait for the extended cut of Hobbit.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, David.

Like I said earlier, I was the most surprised guy here when it turned out that I actually enjoyed the film Cars. I think their marketing (trailers, etc.) confused me on what the film was about.

Your remarks continue to fall in line with others, though, making me doubt that I should bother with Cars 2. But maybe some day.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Cars 2 is ambitious and parts of it are okay, but there is too much Mater, and his story and McQueen's story get equal time that splits the movie right in half. For me, it's Pixar's only swing and a miss (or maybe a single if I'm really being honest) so far (but I admire that they did make a BIG swing).

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think Cars 2 is a bad movie but it's different from than the first one. Unfortunately, what I liked most about the original (the heart, sweetness and the "Aww shucks, ain't small town life great?" mentality) is dropped in the sequel in favor of putting the characters into a kids action movie.

All things considered, I probably enjoyed Cars 2 more than Brave which wasn't bad but it didn't really make much of an impression on me either.

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I was bored by Cars 2, Mike. Cars is sweet, charming, nostalgic and has really good music. Cars 2 is...it's a cash in, a money grab. It has little heart, no compelling story or characters and, worst of all for me, puts Larry the Cable Guy front and center. He's insufferable as a human; as a tow truck, even worse.

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Cars 2 is an homage to Hitchcock and James Bond (which Andrew Stanton made clear even before its release), which makes it very different from the original (AKA Doc Hollywood redux ;) ). On that level, it's a very enjoyable comedy-thriller, although it doesn't try to be as deep/ heartstring-tugging as any other Pixar film. Maybe that's what threw people off. Larry le Guy de le Cable is no Cary Grant, but I like him well enough. :) Both Cars films are underrated, IMO.

On the other hand, I still have no idea how they fit that torture-murder scene into a 'G' rating, but maybe that's just me.
    There goes Frezon off his meds again, dissing Lilo & Stitch and The Emperor's New Groove and Meet the Robinsons and Bolt and Tangled and The Princess & The Frog and Wreck-It-Ralph. . .sheesh!!! :wacko: :P :lol:

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I found in the discussions of the 2010 releases of the Back to the Future trilogy on BD that there was a version with a number on the back of the case that ended in '1' that had digital copies and lousy packaging, which was replaced by a version with a number ending in '2' that had better packaging and no digital copies.

The version currently at Target has a number ending in '3' and a copyright date of 2011. Anyone know if there's a difference between it and the '2' edition? It appears to have regular packaging and no digital copies.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Totally. :D

That reminds me. I have yet to watch Wreck-It Ralph. But I'm not expecting the string to be broken.

There's things I could say I like in each of those films (except Lilo & Stitch). Of them all I'd say I liked Meet the Robinson the most--but mostly because I am partial to the work of William Joyce. And Tangled wasn't as bad as the rest--but fairly forgettable.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm surprised Amazon did not price-match Walmart on the Oz blu-ray, as noted in Tony's image of the Walmart circular above. I assume this was a nationally advertised sale price, as that's the same price/flyer I received here in Vermont where Walmart has practically no competitors. Amazon seemed to match Target on the Hansel & Gretal release.

I ended up cancelling my Amazon pre-order and buying it at Walmart instead.

15. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

In the flyer, but not on the website which seems to be Amazon's SOP.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Grabbed the Yellow border Oz today at target.Target price is $28Matched to the Walmart add to $20Used the $7 DMR coupon.Used the Target $2 shopkick couponUsed $10 in shopkick dollars.Minus another 5% for Target debit card.About 60¢ otd.Also grabbed The latest Bond for $12