What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/9 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Rob...didn't mean to ignore you! The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D509S that I got for $199.99 at Costco (a nice savings, I might add) along with an "instant" 5.1 speaker set from Audiosource (complete with subwoofer, wall mounts, and everything except for a spool of 16 gauge wiring! :) ). $99.99 for the speaker set, which is the System 380 kit if you care. Also at Costco, I might add.
I consider it a starter HT system, in it's entirety. I'm happy with it, but I honestly didn't expect this level of praise! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh, and being able to afford it. We scrimped and saved for 2 years to pay off old bills, so we could create a big new one.
Ah yes...finances!
One of the things I like best about HTF is that people do NOT get deep into their personal financial situation--which seems to range from college students to dudes who are pretty well off.
All I'll say about that is -- my oldest daughter is one year away from college. So, the 22nd century just may be more accurate than I care to think (for when I get my widescreen, high def TV)! :angry: :D
Looks like your young fella has a couple more years to go before he flies away from your Fortress of Solitude to Harvard. ;)
Congratulations on handling your debt.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
You can also see David's DVD collection growing in those pics!
Too bad, David, there's not much room to move the main L/R speakers... I would try to set them a bit further apart, to enhance the stereo effect...

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Studs...? Looks like you got two other studs in reach. To the right you have the light switch, that should be on a stud. To the left where the wall takes a turn should have studs there too. That would give you another 2' or so.

Although don't really need studs if you have a good mounting bracket. I've got my 10lb surround speakers right in the dry wall. (Actually I'm quite shocked the JBL's N26's can be mounted like that!)

Just do the mounting correctly and you shouldn't have any problems. The trick is doing it correctly, I rent I don't mind if I screw up. You shouldn't want to mess up your walls.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations on your new addition, Dave! Perhaps you could start having "Neighborhood Movie Night" at your house once a week. Charge 2 bucks a head!! If they want to watch something in FS/P&S, it's fifty dollars a head.
:laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff D, the next vertical stud over on each side is at the turn, which I didn't want to do. The switch actually isn't a light switch, it's for the gas fireplace :) , but it's on a horizontal stud and I wanted these higher up.
Believe me, it's great the way it is. :D The "Bee Dome" scene in X-Files: Fight The Future is *amazing*!!
Scott, I thought about that type of option. It will pay for itself in notime, eh? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks