Weekly RoundUp 4-30-2013

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Best Buy match priced Target for Star Trek TNG 3, but the computer won't allow the additional $5 off coupon on top of it during my experience. And when the clerk asked the manager to override, the manager explains you can't use the coupon on a price match, as well. So, lesson being, good luck with a clerk who can override, and stay away from knowledgeable managers.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    That's essentially what happened to me, but I didn't realize the problem until I got to my car. So after some review of the receipt, I went back in to customer service and the nice Geek Squad woman credited my card back.

The store didn't have any more copies of Best of Both Worlds, so I went to Target afterward, out of curiosity. While Target had the disc, it didn't have the third season. After looking at the BoBW, I decided I could wait till it hits the bargain bin (though the documentary sounds kind of cool after watching the ones on Disc 6 of season three).

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

They have those at Best Buy?!?

:D

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I haven't always had the greatest experience with the floor staff at my local Best Buy, but the customer service people have generally been really good. It's like they know that the corporate policy and agenda can be onerous or obtuse, so they do whatever they can to compensate.

Though last week I did get the quintessential "are we doing that?" response when I went in to trade in some DVDs.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I believe the term I should have used is "earnest" managers, instead of knowledgeable. Because this one was right out of college, and happy to be firmly towing the company policy line. We much prefer the managers at BB who have grown understandably cynical with their company, indifferent, and just want to get savvy customers out of their hair, no matter what, and even at BB's expense.

6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I was in the TV department at Best Buy last week for the first time in many years, and the guy working there actually admitted not knowing the answer to a question (where in the past, they would make up incredible BS stories). I was pleasantly shocked and let him know that I might actually consider buying something there. :)

7. Dave Corder

Dave Corder Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to hear that, man (and I totally understand). If it helps, I just picked up the pair at the Northgate store with the full match to Target and the two coupons. :) The cashier was friendly and polite as she punched in all the price overrides (the coupons didn't apply automatically, so she applied them manually), and thanked me for being patient while she did all that.Cheers!

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Question for the "Star Trek: TNG" fans: What's the point of buying the Best of Both Worlds release? Isn't the first half on the Season 3 set, and won't the second half be on the Season 4 set? Is it just a matter of not waiting for the Season 4 set to get the second half on Blu?I'm always a little curious about what motivates other people's buying decisions.

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    That sounds like an excellent interaction with a BB employee! Yay!

It's a couple things for me, Adam. One, there are some extras on the standalone movie disc that won't be on either season set. Second, the movie cut is different from the two episodes (but not vastly different). And three, I'm a collector and will grab almost anything related to Trek.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Gotcha, Jason. I didn't realize there were two different cuts and different special features. That makes a lot of sense.