What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-28-2009 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
htf_imgcache_37555.jpeg

The Features

– Vera Farmiga & Kate Beckinsale (Nothing But the Truth – 2008)

– Kate Hudson & Anne Hathaway (Bride Wars – 2009)

– Emma Roberts & Jake T. Austin (Hotel for Dogs – 2009)

– Kate Winslet (The Reader – 2008)

– Jean Rochefort & Anna Galiena (The Hairdresser’s Husband – 1990)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostcoAmerican Dad!: Volume 4$27.99$27.99Bride Wars$17.99$16.99$16.99$18.99Empire of Passion (CC)$21.99$24.99The Hairdresser’s Husband$26.99The Hit (CC)$21.99$24.99**Hotel for Dogs$16.99$16.99$16.99$18.99In the Realm of Senses (CC)$29.99$34.99JCVD$14.99$16.99The Jetsons: The Movie$10.99$9.99Legally Blondes$17.99$16.99$14.99Little Dorrit (BBC)$34.99$44.99$29.99Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie$13.49$12.99Mission: Impossible: Season 6$34.99Nothing But the Truth$17.99$19.99Sex & Lies in Sin City$22.49$19.99Spin City: Season 2$33.99$29.99Stranded$26.99$24.99The Uninvited$19.99$17.99$17.99The Waltons: Season 9$27.99$27.99What Doesn’t Kill You$17.99$19.99While She Was Out$20.99$14.99X-Men: Volume 1 (Marvel Comics Coll.)$17.99$17.99$17.99X-Men: Volume 2 (Marvel Comics Coll.)$17.99$17.99$17.99

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyTargetCostcoBride Wars$25.99$25.99$26.99$25.99The Da Vinci Code (Extended Cut)$23.99$23.99$26.99Hotel for Dogs$27.99$25.99$26.99$27.99In the Realm of the Senses (CC)$26.99$34.99JCVD$21.99$29.99The Reader$23.99$23.99Star Trek – The Original Series: Season 1$64.99$64.99The Uninvited$27.99$27.99$26.99What Doesn’t Kill You$22.99$29.99

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

**Be careful! Hotel for Dogs is reportedly being issued in both OAR and MAR versions.

--Amazon.com is offering an EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY GIFT SET OF THE DA VINCI CODE (similar to its SD exclusive) for $38.99. Includes an exclusive reproduction of the cryptex used in the film and a copy of Robert Langdon’s journal.

--At Best Buy this week, buy BOTH Bride Wars (any version) and Legally Blondes and save $5, instantly. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Get FREE MOVIE CASH for Angels & Demons when you buy The Da Vinci Code on blu-ray at Best Buy. Movie cash value is up-to-$10 at participating theaters. Movie cash is valid thru 6-30-09. For each The Da Vinci Code (Extended Cut) blu-ray, a sticker will be affixed to the shrink wrap for e-movie cash to redeem a movie ticket for Angels & Demons in theaters 5-15-09.

--BB.com is listing the two X-Men comic book volumes out this week for $17.99 apiece. Best Buy’s Sunday flyer, however, lists the two volumes in a 2/$35 deal (or $19.99 apiece).

--The following titles are listed @ $14.99 on DVD and $24.99 on blu-ray @ BB: Quarantine, Marley & Me, Quantum of Solace, Max Payne, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Role Models, Changeling, Australia. Available now. More in store and online. Check bestbuy.com for full listing.

--The following blu-ray titles are listed for $19.99 @ BB: The Departed, I Am Legend, Pan’s Labyrinth, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Bullitt, The Fugitive, Letters from Iwo Jima. Available now. More in store and online. Check bestbuy.com for full listing.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None this week.

--@ Target, this week, get a FREE $5 TARGET GIFTCARD with the purchase of The Da Vinci Code on blu-ray. Quantities limited. No rain checks. Terms and conditions apply to GiftCards.

--Target also has a Gift Set advertised with some of its copies of the DVD of Hotel for Dogs. There is no mention of exclusivity. Free book included with purchase of Hotel for Dogs gift set. Quantities limited. No rain checks.

--Target Odds and Ends: None this week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy on sale DVD items:

Martyrs Unrated $14.99

Iron Man $14.99

$14.99 each:
Quarantine
Marley & Me
Quantum of Solace
Max Payne
The Day THe Earth Stood Still
Role Models
Changeling
Australia

Blu-ray:

Twilight $24.99

$19.99 each:
The Departed
I Am Legend
Pan's Labyrinth
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Bullit
The Fugitive
Letters from Iwo Jima

$24.99 each:
Quarantine
Marley & Me
Quantum of Solace
Max Payne
The Day THe Earth Stood Still
Role Models
Changeling
Australia

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

Nothing from the catalogue aisle

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
So Best Buy and Amazon will have the STOS BDs for 65 bucks? Man, that might be too good to pass up.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the roundup. Just Mission: Impossible Season 6 for me from Amazon. I'd be buying DaVinci Extended Cut but I'm just a poor dvd guy. Can't believe I've waited for the extended cut all this time & they only put it out in bd. I'm hoping when Angels & Demons hits dvd that they'll have a box with the ext. cut.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Trust me, Bill. If Sony can make some extra bucks off of Da Vinci Code, they'll include the extended cut on DVD with Angels and Demons this fall. They'd be foolish not to.

As for myself, playing catch up this week: the first two X-Men films and that new edition of No Country For Old Men, all on BD. Would love to get the Trek set, but I'm trying to curtail the purchases these days.

olaf675

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
If you've never seen 'The Hairdresser's Husband', it is worth a look. It's nice to see it finally available on a domestic DVD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Got Trek S1 coming from Amazon. And I'll be getting the two X-Men volumes. I've been waiting for them for SSSSOOOO long now.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmmm...i wonder what i should get this week?

Star Trek, like everyone else here!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cool thing is, a buddy of mine is going Blu-ray, just because of Trek on Blu. Once he saw it was going to have old, and new effects on the same disc, and in HD, made him decide its time.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Gee, I hope Best Buy has enough copies! I won't be able to get there until Tuesday evening! Was thinkin' of ordering thru Amazon, but was waiting to see the BB price!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You know the Weekly RoundUp posts have become so depressing lately. I remember not so long ago when they were chock full of bargains, and I'd rush out every week on Sunday to snatch up $5-$10 bargains I'd been waiting for. With Circuit City gone and the country in a huge recession it seems like there are no more bargains to be had. Even the blu-ray "sale" prices are $20 and more.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
I can confidently recommend TOS Season 1 on blu, having gone through the whole box for a site I write for. The best $65 you will have invested in Blu-ray in recent memory.

The remasters are startling and the video angle switch option (for Enhanced versus Restored Original) has set a new precedent. If you're pinching pennies, this is a better value than two or three titles this week you may only watch twice.

The Trek 2009 trailer that opens the first disc, though you may have seen before, is a great lead-in. I've also seen the new movie, and I have to say it's a great time to dig Trek.

Greg Layton

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg Layton
A little off topic, but I figure you guys are the best folks to ask. What the heck is going on with Glengarry Glen Ross? It's no longer available on Netflix or Amazon and I went in to buy a copy at Best Buy yesterday and they couldn't find it in their computer. Is it OOP now? Is there some sort of special edition in the works?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yup, Steve. That's one of the reasons I highlighted it at the top of the RoundUp.

I haven't seen it yet...but I've read enough positive reviews of it that it's a title for which I'm going to "keep an eye out."
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg: That's intriguing about Glengarry Glen Ross. I haven't heard anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks