What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/14 (Hayao Miyazaki Week!) (1 Viewer)

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Page!

I am going to have to order this right away!! Not sure how I missed this release, but I have wanted to see this series again ever since it aired back in the 1980s.

Okay, so make that more than one DVD for me this week!! :D I will be buying it from DDD, as you did because, who knows when or if the Brick and Mortars will carry this somewhat obscure item?

Thanks again,

Deborah

Tommy G

Screenwriter
This was supposed to be a slow week for me this week but after Ron's review of Spirited Away, I'm off to Best Buy tomorrow. Now, do I go ahead and get the other 3. Ok I need some arm twisting as I have seen none of Miyazaki's titles.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
*TWIST* *TWIST*

I've only yet seen Mononoke and Spirited Away, but both were fantastic beyond words. I expect great things of Kiki and Laputa.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I would never twist anyone's arm about spending money -- especialy if money is in short supply -- but for what it's worth here are my thought on the Miyazaki films being offered this week. I love Princess Mononoke and have been thrilled with the DVD. This is a truly unique and gripping film with just amazing artwork and animation. Kiki's Delivery Service is very good and extremely charming, but not a "can't live without it" DVD for me. I have not seen Castle in the Sky, and have no opionion and will probably rent this one.

Sprited Away I also have not seen, but the little I know about it and the few clips I have seen have convinced me that it is a movie I will almost certainly love, so I am going for it. I am a very picky buyer with money and space for storage both on the tight side, so that is the way I am handling things. If you want to buy Spirited Away and are uncertain about the others, then I would most highly recommend Princess Mononoke to you -- certainly over Kiki .

Just my .02 worth,

Deborah

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here is the TVShowsOnDVD listing for The Singing Detective. It comes out this week.

I decided not to list it for two reasons: 1) I hadn't seen any interest in it here previous to this, and 2) A, uh, close associate of mine said he watched it based on others' recommendations, and he basically could not stand it. He was hurling vulgarities at it by the end of the 2nd part. He mentioned that he was aware it supposedly got better in part 3, so he might have finished watching it, I dunno. But I became acutely aware that this wasn't something for everyone.

Myself, I doubt I could be convinced to even TRY to watch something with a title like that! :eek:

But, to each their own!

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Dave,

The Singing Detective is definitely not everyone's cup pf tea. It is a highly eccentric and off beat series, which I totally loved, along with just about everyone else in my social circle of the time. It was one of those phenoms that just caught certain people's imaginations and there was a great deal of discussion about it where I work after every episode aired. It will be interesting to see it again and see how it plays now some 15 or 16 years later. At the time it first aired, it received wide, critical acclaim in the US, but it was definitely a PBS and not a mainstream kind of thing. You do need a fairly high appreciation of the "different" to go for something of this nature and if the whole idea puts you off then it is probably not for you.

And no worries about not listing it -- one of the great things about this weekly thread is that everything important eventually show up here from someone. :)

Deborah

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Not getting anythign this week, just wanted to say thanks to David. This list is something I always look forward to on Sundays not just to find the best deals, but even just to see what's coming out and seeing if there's anything I want.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Spirited Away is one of those you either LOVE it or HATE it movies, I think.

I loved it, but I did feel like I missed something. After everyone watches I'd love to discuss it. =)

One thing for sure, this could be a reference quality disc if it was done well. The image was excellent, so crisp, so clean, so perfect.

Anyone honestly think we'll be able to get three dvd's using coupons AND PM to boot? I'm willing to try! (need to find a third coupon tonight...)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I read this thread every week and just wanted to say thanks David for all of your hard work.

It's been greatly appreciated.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just ordered from DVD Planet "Ran Masterworks Edition". Best Buy's site says "Not available for store pickup". :angry: :angry:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, I found out that Princess Mononoke is PG-13 so I am going to stay away and go with only Spirited Away as this is mainly for the kids. I'm expecting this will be one of those movies where I'll find an excuse to watch it with the kids but I'm really not a fan of anime. Looking forward to this one but I generally don't put anything animated in the player if I'm sitting down to view by myself. Thanks Dave for your hard work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Expect FAMILY GUY to be fairly hard to find. I went to pick mine up at 10:30 this morning and my Circuit City (which received 12) had only one left!!!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Finally the week I've been waiting (and saving) for! Thanks as always Dave!

Chris S.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
With a bulk of Miyazaki's movies coming out this week, you guys can now appreciate the horror of trying to keep up with both live-action and anime releases. If a guy wanted to sell blood or plasma ... what's the going rate? :p)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Went to 2 Best Buys... first had Spririted Away, but no Kiki or Laputa. Went to another... they had Spirited Away and Laputa, but no Kiki. So, I got a raincheck for Kiki (made the guy add a note about my free Princess Mononoke) and went down to Circuit City. Grabbed the last copy of Kiki for $19.99 :D:emoji_thumbsup:

Now I just have to wait for BB to get Kiki and Mononoke back in :D But it looks like demand for Kiki (which IIRC is one of the best-selling, if not THE bestselling, anime on home video in the US) was GREATLY underestimated by the B&Ms.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
If a guy wanted to sell blood or plasma ... what's the going rate?
I don't thinky ou can sell blood. Plasma goes for about 17 the first trip and 23 the second trip the same week.

The next week it goes back to 17, but then on the next trip it goes to 28.

Prices may vary depending on location.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
For anyone buying the three Miyazaki titles, be sure to get the current issue of Woman's Day magazine (with Easter Eggs on the cover). For $1.99 (or $1.79 at Target or Wal-Mart, since they automatically discount their magazines) you can get a coupon on the inside front cover that's good for $3 off a long list of Disney titles.
The April issues of Parents Magazine and Better Homes & Gardens has the coupon (just inside the cover), too. I snagged two while getting my allergy shot last week. Check your doctors' offices!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.